Vaccinating preg. mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplethorsefarm

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Once again I am asking the LB forum members for advice. I seem to be unable to get a consistent answer on the proper way to vaccinate preg. mares. I am finding that people vaccinate differently, just like people feed differently.

When do you give your yearly vaccines (5way) and when/or do you give the 5,7, and 9 rhino shot? I have talked to a few large farms that have had fatal results with the 5, 7, and 9 month shot, so I am trying to gain a better understanding.

Another question....if you had a preg. mare and did not know her vaccine history would you immediately give the 5 way with the booster 4 weeks lateror wait until spring when you give your annual vaccines?

Thanks in advance for sharing

What we have done under the instructions of our vet

is we always have given 5-7-9 mo rhino without a problem

from them so we will continue to do so.......

If a mare is due early in the season before the possibility of mosquito's

in the area she has suggested only tetnas as a prefoaling shot (30 days prior to due date) then after the foal is born give 3way wnv & rabies

In the event mare is due after possibility of mosquito's then we would

give 4 way & wnv (30 days prior to due date)

but wait till after foaling for rabies

Just what our vet recommended and we have done

We have 2 mares due in april so will probably just give tetnas prefoaling to them

our others due in May we would do regular spring shots prefoaling

I finally got it straight from our vet as it seemed al over the place till I found out

other shots were not needed as it was too early in the season

This was always a tough one for me when breeding. I'm glad I don't have to wrestle with this any more.

The rhino vaccine is a "harsh" shot, as one of the vets says. My mares reacted horribly to it. No, they did not abort--just had terrible soreness for 2-3 days afterwards. If we gave it in the neck--they couldn't bend down to eat, in the hip--they could hardly walk. Horrid.
default_sad.png
So, I switched to just one shot the second time around, and by the third pregnancies, I stopped it all together. One vet said if you're not going to do them all, it's not worth doing any. Plus, she had just come from a meeting where it was suggested the best way is to go 1-3-5-7 months!!
default_new_shocked.gif

But, because I am a closed farm, and have been for years, she thought I'd be safe skipping them all. So I did. I allowed no one to come here from a horse farm, and I didn't visit any. I know, I'm weird, but I don't take chances. I held my breath; it worked out.

Like I said, I'm very glad I don't have to make these tough decisions any more.

We don't vaccinate our horses for anything. I personally wouldn't vaccinate a mare in foal either.

I have always vaccinated 30 days prior to foaling and used to do everything then. Armed with some research, I have stopped doing rabies until after foaling but will still do the 6 way and wnv. Your seasonal timing will depend partly on where you live. Being so far south, bug/mosquito season can be almost year-round for us.
default_wacko.png

I have not done any rhino vaccine this year, for the first time. I have a mare due in January, and it really just slipped up on me. I don't always do all three vaccines - my understanding has always been that it just doesn't last that long, hence the reason for givng three or even four shots. If that's the case I would think two would still give protection just for a shorter time. I did have much better luck with the Intervet shot - when I could get it - than I did with Pneumabort (Ft Dodge) as far as local soreness.

Jan

Back