uwharrie, a ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcody

Reaction score
I have seen a few other reputable breeders that have gone the route of no vaccines (except puppy and rabies) with great results. I was wondering if your vet gave the rabies? I know around here a vet needs to give the rabies, and they will not if the other shots are not up to date, and they need a yearly rabies out here.

Have you ever had any problems? Have you had problems with vets if your dogs need any medical care?

I do give my dogs there vaccines per the vets schedule,but have always wondered......

Also, wasn't there a study being done somewhere to check the longivity of the rabies vaccine?

Thank you for your input.

I actually know several breeders who give NO vaccines whatsoever. I am not willing to go that route.

I have been giving my own "puppy" shots for years. My vet does give Rabies as in North Carolina only vets are licensed to buy or administer the vaccine. After the first year we only have to give them every 3 yrs.

They know I vaccinate my own dogs and as long as I can tell them what and when they are OK ( I just fudge on the yearly boosters) I think they know they make enough money off of me anyway that they dont have to worry about hassling for a few extra bucks. That being said they had one vet that thank goodness no longer works there. I swear she tried to come up with every test/vaccine known to man, she was such a jerk I refused to have her see any of my animals, Everyone at the clinic knew when I called to make an appointment it had better not be with her:)

Dr Jean Dodd has a study out on the long term effectivness of the rabies vaccine. I think if you google "rabies challenge" you will find it.

Back