Uveitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
I posted a while back (December?) that two of our horses had been infected with Lepto and had contracted uveitis. Well, we've now learned that all of our horses were infected, and one more has gotten uveitis. Thankfully the one who most recently acquired it is almost already ok and they can't find really any damage to her eyes. One of the others is also better, has no problems at all. The third one (the first one to contract it) is not well. She has been treated since November, and in January she was taken to a vet school to try an experimental treatement with a 95% success rate. Just our luck that she is in 5% that doesn't respond to the treatement. She has been on steroids so long that she is having other adverse effects, and while she's "ok" when she's on the meds, as soon as she's taken off them her eyes go downhill fast. The vet says this is highly unusual to have it like this. As of the last visit the vet admitted prognosis is very poor. Her eyesight is poor and she is starting to suffer. So please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. She might be past the point of a miracle but we still have to know when it's time to call it quits, and we can only hope that noone else develops uveitis. She has changed so much since this started.

Thanks guys

wow Im sorry! Prayres sent!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_pray.gif
default_no.gif

Sorry to hear about your horses. I had a blind arabian mare, she was a great mother and amazing riding horse even though she could not see. I also sold a arabian filly that contracted lepto, went totally blind and was put down before I was told. I told the lady I would have bought her back as she was the sweetest filly. So don't give up on your horse even if totally blind because with the right training they can live a full life.

Have you talked to a HUMAN ophthalmologist? They may be able to give you some insight on this problem. I do work for several eye doctors, but can't remember the standard of treatment for this. I will check on this if you like????

When you stopped the steroids, did you do a very slow taper? Just a thought. I hope the very best for you kiddo.

Latest posts

Back