usual course for laminitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboodle

Reaction score
Our overweight mini is now suffering from laminitis. Let him out on winter pasture for 2 days. My big mistake. My question is now that he is off the pasture, only on hay, no grain should there be visible improvement every day (wishful thinking?)? Farrier put rubber pads on his front five days ago. Does onset of laminitis come on that slow - he just appeared off for one or two days, then mildly lame up front the next day, next day limping up front and then total body stiffness. He will walk (limp) a step or two to get to hay but I don't see much improvement after a week. Is that normal for laminitis? He did get bute the first two days and was ambling better then but I don't want to give any more of that because of his history of ulcer last year. And I know there is controversy over how to trim his feet to keep the coffin bone from rotating. He had been naturally trimmed for three months prior to this. Thanks for any suggestions.

Did he get it from the grass or the weight? Im thinking the being overweight and if it is that reason I dont think he will really get truelly better until you get it off of him. Best thing to do is keep him off all grass until you get his weight down where it should be.

I would also put him up on a big bed of shaveings as softness on there feet is the best thing you can do.

I would still give him bute, but also put him on a ucler med.

Thanks for replying so quickly Ashley. We (vet and I) have been monitoring his weight since last November (using tape measure). He had been off grain since then and only getting vitamins and magnesium oxide and chromium yeast and hay. And had not lost or gained any weight. I really hesitate using the bute, although it helps, because of his history of ulcer. Does oral banamine help? And safer?

Was he just on hay when the laminitis occurred? If he's not losing weight and you are trying to reduce him I would have the vet check his thyroid levels and test for cushings. Laminitis can be tricky. I know weather changes can affect some of my clients horses and the weather has been very up and down lately, [laminitis and colic weather!] Sounds like your vet and farrier are on top of it though. Oh, and yes they can be sore for quite a while. Linda B

Does oral banamine help? And safer?
Nope - you need the anti-inflamatory properties of Bute...or aspirin. Banamine is a pain killer but doesn't do anything for inflamation. If he has a history of ulcers, give him GastroGuard. I want to strangle vets that prescribe Bute for minis without adding GastroGuard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot depends on how severe the laminitis attack was, how much damage was done, and whether or not there was P3 rotation. You really should have your vet come out and take xrays of the hooves to see whether or not there was P3 rotation (coffin bone).

Your horse may also be IR (insulin resistance) and keeping him on pasture is going to make the situation worse. Please visit:

Safer Grass.Org

I also recommend you join the Yahoo Cushings/IR group to learn about IR (insulin resistance) and how to have your horse tested for IR. You should also talk to your vet about the bute - I had my horse on bute and we gave her Zantac along with the bute to help with ulcers.

I don't want to discourage you, but when my horse suffered a laminitic attack, she had complete separation in all 4 hooves, P3 rotation in both front feet and a full year later (with aggressive treatment), she still had signs of separation. Again, it depends on how much damage has been done to the hooves, but it generally takes a year or more for the hoof to completely grow out.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Thanks everyone. Have never seen a laminitis in progress so your info is helpful. Hopefully can get vet out to draw blood this week for insulin and thyroid; and get some more gastrogard. She did not tell me to give it, even though she knows his ulcer history, but I had some left from before.

So sorry to hear this. You must have x rays done to see where you stand on this. If you have rotation, you will need to know to what degree etc. This will determine your next move on care. This will determine your horse's future. X rays are a must.

Next, if by any chance the pads were nailed in, please have the nails removed immediately. Hopefully, he didn't use that kind.

No, only small rubber piece covering the frog and held on by duct tape wrapped around the hoof. How would the kind of care be different depending on the rotation of the coffin bone?

only small rubber piece covering the frog and held on by duct tape wrapped around the hoof
Plastic wedges, dental impression material and styrofoam pads are all common support systems. Each horse is different and what works for some horses may not work for others. You may also need to change support systems and the healing process continues. Here's a link to a good site which shows some of the different support systems used - great people, BTW in case you decide to call them or contact them for information.

Hope For Soundness

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back