USDA to Revise Animal Disease Traceability Approach

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Feathers

Reaction score
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=15781

heres the atricle

The USDA will develop a new, flexible framework for animal disease traceability in the United States, and undertake several other actions to further strengthen its disease prevention and response capabilities said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.

"After concluding our listening tour on the National Animal Identification System in 15 cities across the country, receiving thousands of comments from the public and input from states, tribal nations, industry groups, and representatives for small and organic farmers, it is apparent that a new strategy for animal disease traceability is needed," Vilsack said. "I've decided to revise the prior policy and offer a new approach to animal disease traceability with changes that respond directly to the feedback we heard."

The framework, announced Feb. 5 at the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture Mid-Year meeting, provides the basic tenets of animal disease traceability capability in the United States. These efforts will:

• Only apply to animals moved in interstate commerce;
  • Be administered by the states and tribal nations to provide more flexibility;
  • Encourage the use of lower-cost technology, and
  • Be implemented transparently through federal regulations and the full rulemaking process.
One of USDA's first steps will be a forum with animal health leaders for the states and tribal nations to initiate a dialogue about the possible ways of achieving the flexible, coordinated approach to animal disease traceability the group envisions. Additionally, USDA will be revamping the Secretary's Advisory Committee on Animal Health to address specific issues, such as confidentiality and liability.

So......according to the Q & A article Link posted by Horsefeathers, Horses are NOT a part of this? Here's the part that stood out for ME as a Horse Lover and Breeder:

"The new framework focuses only on animals that

move in interstate commerce. So, small producers

who raise animals and move them within a State,

Tribal Nation, or to local markets, as well as to feed

themselves, their families, and their neighbors are not

a part of the framework’s scope and focus."

If this is the case, then I am relieved.......I am also smiling and shaking my head because something smells of BACKPEDALLING!
default_wink.png

HORSES may NOT be a part of THIS stage BUT will be right back there eventually.

JUST because you do NOT have livestock affected by USDA does not mean you are NOT important.

USDA is driven by money NOT Scientific facts.

Lend a helping hand to anyone that THIS IS NOT in the best interest AND KNOW THE FACTS.

Latest posts

Back