Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
If you are going to give Ulcerguard to the following horse described to cure ulcers - what would be your dosage and for how long?

2007 Model Miniature Colt who is 27" tall currently weighs a little over 110 lbs.  

He has drastically lost weight and we think it's from moving to a new farm and being stressed out and thus causing ulcers and he has good teeth and has been on a diligent worming program. He was very attached to  neighboring mini stud and you could tell he really missed his "buddy" - the persistant neighing at night was almost unbearable.

Thanks so much!

If you are trying to cure an ulcer, you would dose him to 250lbs. The healing dose is double the maintenance dose. You may want to probios too. Good Luck!

I am so sorry, we dose for 14 days as directed my the vet. Can you get him to eat or drink? is he maintaining that ok? I also started him on a product call GUT, a great Ulcer prevenative with all the probios in it. He still gets it daily.

You will be in my prayers.

I've only used Gastroguard to treat ulcers, and the recommended treatment is for 30 days. I've done half that and lots of preventative care along with it - have not had anyone scoped to be sure ulcers were gone but distress and visible symptoms were gone.

Jan

Katie,

My vet sell the GastroGaurd for 26.95. and Horse.com has it for $38. I would get the vets info. When our guy got down, he was really sick. After scoping, this what the vet did, we hung lactated ringers on him, started him on SMZ, Penicillan and Rompum to keep his heart rate down. We did admister banamine as well. He was just too painful. We kept him blanketed and we fed our finest hay, wet, and put him on SR pellets wet until he turned the corner. Since then he has not gone a day with out Gut. Which is an ulcer prevenative with probios.

Good Luck, I will be thinking about you,

Ellen

Latest posts

Back