Ulcergard (omeprazole)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
I have researched the archives on treating ulcers, and the web. Has anyone ever used Prilosec or another omeprazole medication over the the counter in place of the ulcergard?

Prilosec:Active Ingredients:

(in each tablet): Omeprazole magnesium delayed-release tablet 20. 6 mg (equiv. to 20mg omeprazole - acid reducer).

Inactive Ingredients:

Glyceral Monostearate, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Hypromellose, Iron Oxide, Magnesium Stearate, Methacrylic Acid Copolymer, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Paraffin, Polyethylene Glycol 6000, Polysorbate 80, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Sodium Stearyl Fumarate, Starch, Sucrose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, Triethyl Citrate.

Directions state not to chew or put in food, also I would have no ideal how to figure the dosage for a mini.

Advice/opinions Please

I had asked that my new horse get some Omeprazole for his trip home and Doc told me that he would give him the people variety because it is cheaper. I have no idea the dosage that he is giving, but I know that it is done. Hope that helps some. I would imagine that you would put them in an oral syringe and add some warm water and shake them until they become liquid then dose.

There is a very big difference between human products and the equine products - mainly in how it is distributed in the horse's system. The amount of OTC human product that you would need to get even a small amount of help would be far more expensive than using the equine product in the first place - and the equine product will work far better in the long run -- expensive, yes, but worth it. I know that a lot of people use the human products, but I doubt that you are really doing much for the horse in reality, and if your horse REALLY needs ulcer help, you would be doing a lot more damage by not using the correct products to begin with.

Stacy

I had asked that my new horse get some Omeprazole for his trip home and Doc told me that he would give him the people variety because it is cheaper. I have no idea the dosage that he is giving, but I know that it is done. Hope that helps some. I would imagine that you would put them in an oral syringe and add some warm water and shake them until they become liquid then dose.

Did he happen to say which brand of people version he was using? I might could figure the dosage comparing it to the ulcergard, I know it states 20mg on the prilosec, my ulcergard is on order so I don't know the dosage as far as mg.

Thank you for replying!

Costco sell a generic Omeprazole I think it's a 3 pack...each pack would treat a human adult for 14 days. Not saying it can or can't be used on horses - just saying Costco sell it cheep.

Sorry, he didn't say what brand he was using. He just said that in some things the human products were cheaper than the equine version. Wish I could be of more help.

Thank you Jill, I will check it out.

Stacy- I really am not being cheap..well I guess I am
default_wacko.png
Mare spent almost 2 weeks with vet due to impaction so I am finacially embarressed, with that said though I will get what she needs no matter what. I will go over any meds with my vet b4 giving them to her, I expect him to be calling today to see how she is doing. Wanted to have all my info together b4 I talk to him. I do appreciate the advice, and agree that we should be very careful using the peoples version for horses.

I think it was stated elsewhere on the forum that the human version gets absorbed in the stomach but the equine digestve system actually needs to be absorbed in the intestine. Also, for a 250lb horse you would need 450mg of omeprazole or there are about five doses of the Gastroguard in each tube.

I also think it was stated on the forum that at the dose of 20mg tablet of omeprazole a 250lb hourse would need 22 tablets. The cost savings doesn't look as good when you calculate 22 tabs per day. - Or does it?

Nancy, I just hate to see people spending money on a product that will have little or no affect on the animal - I know that emotionally you might feel better by giving her the human product, but in the long run I really think that it will cost you more and get you nowhere, except a false sense of security -- I truly know how it feels to me in your situation, I have had a couple of colic surgeries and c-sections - and adding that $70 tube of UlcerGuard on to the already HUGE bill is a hard one to swallow - but . . .

(((( Hugs )))) Hang in there !

Stac

The active ingredient is the same, the problem is that it has to safely get past the stomach and be absorbed in the intestines to have the long lasting effects. The drug is easily broken down by stomach acid, so unless it has the correct 'carrying agent', it won't get to the gut. Even in humans, the instructions are not to crush or bite the pill. It has to have its coating intact in order to get through the human stomach into the intestines.

The makers of Ulcerguard/Gastro Gard spent a lot of time researching their carrying agent to ensure the active ingredient gets past the stomach. Generic brands don't have the same agent, and have not been proven to protect the active ingredient. Crushing or liquifying a human pill would have the same problem, the drug would get quickly processed in the stomach, and not make it into the intestines where it could be slowly absorbed.

Here is an excerpt from a webpage I found that has some good info on ulcer treatments. (http://www.equinepi.com/faq/ulcers.html#ulcer2) Ulcer FAQs

Question: What are the common therapies for Ulcers/EGUS?

Answer: Traditionally antacids were used to decrease the discomfort and increase the pH of the stomach contents. The traditional components are usually a combination of magnesium hydroxide and aluminum hydroxide (i.e. Neighlox). The effect of even a large dose (240-360 ml) of these compounds is short lived and would require repeat dosing every 2-6 hours to have any real effect on ulcer healing (Hinchcliff et al, 2004). Additionally these compounds can reduce the absorbability of some other medications given orally. Bismuth compounds, such as Pepto Bismol have not been shown to have any significant effect at all (Picavet, 2002). Various other remedies (i.e. Papaya, Gastrex) have been used as antacid therapy in horses with variable results.

Coating agents such as Sucralfate (dose range from 10-40 mg/kg) also require frequent dosing (every 6-8 hrs) to have an effect. The act by forming a protective gel-like coating over the ulcers themselves, and therefore have no direct healing effect (Robinson, 2003). They are most effective when used in combination with H2 Antagonist drugs (Hinchcliff et al, 2004).

H2 (Histamine receptor) Antagonist drugs act to suppress acid secretion without completely blocking acid production. This class includes drugs such as Cimetidine (15-25 mg/kg), and Ranitidine (6.6 mg/kg) both of which require dosing 4 times per day (every 8 hours) to be effective (Merritt, 2003; Hinchcliff et al, 2004; Robinson, 2003).

Proton Pump inhibitors such as omeprazole paste (Trade Name GastroGard) block the secretion of acid for up to 27 hours at the full dose (Robinson, 2003), therefore making administration of the medication easier to manage. An Australian study found that omeprazole was more effective at healing ulcers than ranitidine with noticeable improvement after 14 days of therapy and lasting benefit greater than 28 days after the therapy (Lester et al, 2005). Recommended dosage of GastroGard is 1 tube per 1000 lb horse per day (4 mg/kg every 24 hours) to promote healing and prevent recurrence of ulcers. A dosage of ½ tube for a 1000 lb horse per day (2 mg/kg every 24 hours) following 28 days of full dose therapy has been shown to prevent recurrence of ulcers (Andrews, 1999). Studies performed in race horses in training, found that a dose of GastroGard paste at ¼ tube per 1000 lb horse per day (1 mg/kg every 24 hours) was effective in both preventing ulcers in horses starting race training (Andrews, 1999; McClure et al, 2005b; White et al, 2003), and in preventing the recurrence of ulcers in horses in race training (McClure et al, 2005c; White et al, 2003).

GastroGard was formulated and manufactured following extensive research to create a unique drug for horses. Although the active ingredient, omeprazole, is used widely in humans, the molecular structure was modified specifically for extended absorption in horses. Therefore, the use of the human formulations of omeprazole may be less effective and require more frequent administration.

Merial, the makers of GastroGard, have now formulated a non-prescription form of the drug omeprazole (1mg/kg dose label) called UlcerGard. Non-prescription medications are not subjected to the same stringent research and quality control procedures as prescription formulations, which is why the non-prescription form can be marketed at a significantly lower cost.

In summary, the recommended dose of GastroGard (the only FDA approved formulation of omeprazole for horses currently) depends on a number of factors such as whether non-healed ulcers are present, whether ulcers were present, but have healed, or whether there are currently no ulcers at all as well as the "stress" the horse in question is being subjected to currently. In general to heal ulcers requires a dose of 1 tube per 1000 lb horse per day (4mg/kg/day) for at least one month. Maintenance or preventative therapy with GastroGard in horses that have ulcers that have healed may only require ¼ to ½ tube per 1000 lb horse per day (1-2 mg/kg/day). Therapeutic dosage is dependent on all of the above factors including the degree of ulceration present, management and the individual horse in question.

In some horse with chronic EGUS which is not responsive to traditional therapy, a bacterial component may be contributing to the syndrome. A combination therapy of 1 tube per 1000 lb horse per day omeprazole paste (4 mg/kg every 24 hrs), metronidazole (15 mg/kg orally every 6-8 hrs) or SMZ's (15-25 mg/kg orally every 12 hrs), and bismuth subsalicylate (3.8 mg/kg every 6 hrs) for a period of 14 days may be effective (Andrews FM,2005).

Thank you R3 - that was an excellent post, and hopefully will be added to the Best Of Miniature horse info -- too many people try to use generic OTC ulcer products on their horses because of cost, and are infact not helping - possibly hurting their animals even tho they feel like they are doing some good.

Stacy

{{{{{{Nancy}}}}}}
default_wub.png

There's some good info here! I agree with Stacy.
default_smile.png

Ulcers need to be cured, not just treated, or they'll keep coming back.

Thanks to questions like this (thanks Nancy) and people answering, we all learn so much!

I hope she feels better soon! *HUGS* Love ya!

We rescued a gelding last year who obviously had some sort of ulcer issue problem.

I tend to try the NATURAL route first and have had good success in the past with SLIPPERY ELM BARK.

This horse responded VERY well to a 6 week course of this and is on a small amount for maintenance.

All his "ulcer" like symptoms have resolved.

Please PM me if you would like more information and how much I was recommended to give him.

:)Lisa

I have so far, at least, had excellent results using ranitidine. Yes, it requires dosing every 8 hours(effectively, this is only three times/day--ie.,6 AM, 2 PM, 10 PM; the next dose would be the following 6 AM, and so on. I have used 4-150 mg("Extra Strength", or what used to be the Rx dosage; OTC originally was only 75 mg/tab, so if using "Original Strength" OTC, you'd need twice as many tabs/dose every 8 hours, for a horse who weighs @ 225 lbs.)It also needs to be given for a MINIMUM of 30 days straight, perhaps longer, in my experience. At my local Sam's, 4 containers w/ 95--150 mg. tabs each of ranitidine(generic for Zantac)are between $9-10; that's enough for over one month of treatment at the above dosage--a LOT less expensive than either Gastroguard or Ulcerguard, even though more labor-intensive for the owner. .

I also have done a series of 'adjustments' to my feeding and other management. The latest and so far, seeming very helpful, is 'slow feeding' of hay. I invested in several slow-feeding hay bags, and at this time, am VERY happy with the results. I will know more when I am able to get a supply of better (shorter stemmed, softer)grass hay; I am limited in the amount of this hay right now, and it is the most suitable for use in these hay bags--so I can't give them ALL of their grass hay yet in the slow-feeding bags, for maximum effectiveness.

I also have previously seen the info R3 posted regarding omeprazole, and the reasons why it may not work to simply try to 'substitute' human formula for the horse-specific formula.

Margo

I think far too often we jump to the conclusion that the horse HAS ulcers, when it really has not been clinically diagnosed as such - the only way to truly diagnose ulcers is to scope the horse and look for lesions.

With that in mind, it is frequently suggested by vets as a precautionary measure to use UlcerGard in stressful situations - in any case, the OTC products are probably just a temporary "help" (and I use that term very lightly) - if your horse TRULY HAS an ulcer, these products won't do much good and misuse of products can easily result in a dead horse -- REAL, DIAGNOSED ulcers are nothing to fool around with, need immediate action and a real equine oriented product to help ease the inflamation, and CURE the ulcer.

This just came in from TheHorse.Com

The subject was GI problems in foals, but below was the section on ulcers. I highlighted the treatment info.

Gastric Ulcer
This is a break in the tissue lining of the stomach, which is uncomfortable and often makes the foal decrease its nursing or feeding, Wilson says. "In chronic cases, the ulcers can lead to stricture of the stomach's outflow, which leads to splashing of stomach acid up into the esophagus; this is very painful," she says. "If the ulcer perforates (fully penetrates the stomach wall), the foal will usually die of peritonitis." Clinical signs can be absent or include discomfort during eating, backing off of feed or nursing, teeth grinding, and colic. "With perforations, the foal is colicky and rapidly progresses into shock. In a few cases of small perforations, the leak may be plugged by omental tissues (abdominal tissue folds), leading to abscesses that lead to fever, intermittent discomfort, and weight loss."

Cause: Stress, use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Diagnosis: This is best made with an endoscope to examine the stomach lining, but it is often based on clinical signs or response to treatment.

]Treatment: Pain management and stress reduction. "Use ranitidine to immediately block acid secretion concurrently with omeprazole (GastroGard), which is the most potent acid inhibitor, but takes 24-48 hours to take full effect," Wilson says. "After 48 hours, the ranitidine is usually discontinued. If the foal has a history of NSAID use, sucralfate may also be given. If the foal is not eating, intravenous feeding may be needed. Any suggestions of ulcer leakage should be treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics and consideration of surgery. Similarly, foals with signs suggestive of gastric outflow restriction and esophageal reflux can benefit from gastrojejunostomy (surgical procedure to connect the stomach and the middle section of small intestine to bypass the stricture) if they do not respond to more conservative therapy."

Prognosis: This depends on the severity of the ulcers and concurrent disease. "Simple gastric ulcers are very responsive to acid suppression with ranitidine and omeprazole," Wilson reports. "Foals with duodenal strictures and resultant stomach outflow problems seldom do well even with surgery; consequently, some surgeons consider the surgery option as a salvage procedure."

Prevention: Stress reduction, lowest possible dose of NSAIDs when they are needed.

It has been my experience that with severe ulcers (in horses older than foals) they have taken as long as 5 days to respond to omeprazole. For this reason I use Ranitidine and Sucralfate along with Gastroguard or Ulcerguard for 3 days on the sucralfate and 5-7 days on the Ranitidine.

Charlotte

p.s. Stacy, you pay $70 for a tube of Ulcerguard? Did I misunderstand? Price here is $35-39 and online ordering runs about the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
R3-----

Where did this reference material come from. That's the same treatment for people with helicobacter pylori. I didn't know they had discovered that in horses too. Very interesting.

In some horse with chronic EGUS which is not responsive to traditional therapy, a bacterial component may be contributing to the syndrome. A combination therapy of 1 tube per 1000 lb horse per day omeprazole paste (4 mg/kg every 24 hrs), metronidazole (15 mg/kg orally every 6-8 hrs) or SMZ's (15-25 mg/kg orally every 12 hrs), and bismuth subsalicylate (3.8 mg/kg every 6 hrs) for a period of 14 days may be effective (Andrews FM,2005).

Fresh grass is one of the better things for a horse with acid stress and/or ulcers. While we cannot have this at all times, it is a good thing for them if available. Not instead of treatment but, in addition. Actually, many reports show that pastured horses generally have less of these gut issues.

So, you may have to take the horse to some grass to encourage eating. Let's face it that's why they want hay, not grain.....but, fresh grass is better almost every time. Good ole mother nature.

Latest posts

Back