Ulcergard (omeprazole)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have also been studies out lately reporting that alfalfa is helpful in preventing ulcers. They studied stalled and pastured horses, and even the horses on grass did better/had fewer symptoms when given alfalfa.

My vet is charging $46 for Gastroguard now, much higher than I've heard it quoted elsewhere.

Jan

Hi Charolette - yep, Gastroguard (not Ulcerguard - sorry about that) is at least $70 a tube - I really don't even care to look at the price - it makes me cringe!

Stac

wow- I can't believe the prices you guys are paying for Gastro Gard. Gastro Gard (not Ulcer Gard) here is approx $32 tube.

Wow thanks everyone, I didn't know this subject had been posted b4..I missed it on my search..sorry for the repeat.

I agree the human form does state not to chew or add to food, I thought maybe because of the time release. I found Ulcergard on Amazon.com for 32.19, and I think free shipping. I ordered a tube at a much higher price from Valley Vet just because I usually get it the next day. Rita, has not been clinically diagnosed with ulcers. But I am almost sure she does, sure enough to invest the extra $ for the security. I do have her on the Ranitidine, I have a prescription for it. I am an american native (is that politically correct for Choctaw Indian)
default_wink.png
so I get it free...which every lil bit helps right now. Also, treat her to some yogurt. My vet did say only good quality grass hay (hard to find this time of year) and grass only for 2 weeks. Rita does have an appetite, and I am not good at tuff love so at meal time she has been getting a small amout of VERY wet beet pulp.

The book " HORSE OWNERS VETERINARY HANDBOOK" states "The ulcer medications used in people are effective in horses. H2 blockers Tagament & Zantac: Carefate (a mucosal coating agent); and antiacids containing aluminum hydroxide, such as Mylanta. These drugs are best taken in combination and given several times a daily. Treatment is continued for at least 3 to 4 weeks. A follow up gastrocopy may be advisable to ensure that healing is complete." Strange it does not mention Omeprazole.

What I always do is listen to everyones advice, but it all together and do what works for that horse and for sure go over it with my vet. I know he thinks ulcergard is an extremly expensive way to treat ulcers..so don't always go with his opinion (shhh he doesn't know)

My friends, and facebook friends know this...I have lost Rita once already. Very long story..to make it short..Rita was in a bad way had not passed the mineral oil, Doc had worked with her for a week told me he was going to give it one more day and if no improvement we needed to put her down. She was too week for major surgery, which convicing my husband to pay for I don't think was going to happen. Rita is a rescue mare from a good person that had come on really hard times. I told my vet in the beginning I had not rescue her just to let her die. I told him if his decision was to put her down then to call my husband, because I could not handle it. Which he did, and they agreed on an autopsy to be performed this was on a Friday. I called a couple of times for the results and he never would call back..I really needed to know if it was something in my pasture, feed, etc. and was getting very upset that he wouldn't return my calls. He called my husband (he gets our cell #'s confused) told him Rita was still alive and of course that is all my husband relayed to me he was OTR. Doc's reason for gong above and beyond was his little grandson, he got him for spring break and he feel in love with the white pony (Rita) wanted to ride her, Doc told him you cannot she is sick, he said Papa make her well. Doc said he listen to her intestine to her where the blockage was and rotated her. I admit I have no ideal what that involves just so very grateful he gave it one more desperate attempt. Doc said it was the power of prayer and his grandson.

So, I feel Rita and I have been given another chance...and the love I have for this mare I cannot put into words. She also has another family I am going to share her with when 100%, a little boy that fell in love with that white pony.

I have been a little concerned with putting her on grass, my pastures are not green yet but my yard has some grass and I let her eat on it for about 30 minutes, one day. Until yesterday, I would see her roll on her back and draw up her legs which is why I feel the need for the ulcer meds with all the pain meds she has had better safe. She did not roll onto her back yesterday so I guess the Ranitidine is helping with the pain some...but I want to cure her. As I told Doc how can someone put a price value/limit on a life (was talking about my husband).

Thank you everyone, I am going back and reading all the input and making notes.

Thank you too Sis (Robin), for being there for me through all this and you are the reason I have already ordered the Ulcergard. Love ya!
default_wub.png

Ahhaaa - Nancy your story is just heartbreaking - what a wonderful "mom" you are to little Rita. I am hoping that your course of action will help her thru this difficult time.

Hugs to you and little Rita
default_wub.png

Stacy

Aw Sis!
default_wub.png
I KNOW how much you love your babies and I know you want her WELL. Like I said, if anyone can get her better, it's you! Rita has had a hard life and now she is HOME forever!
default_yes.gif

I love you too!!

I must be tired, you girls made me tear up. Thank you for saying that, but I cannot forget she got this way while on my watch. I have never experience one this bad, always been able to get them back on their feet.

Rita is a lil better every day, and with all the great advice she will turn around. I am on constant watch, to day after a little crazing when I put her back in her paddock she laid down, rolled and I was saying to myself ok..now get up and shake..she did all is well.
default_biggrin.png
I have never seen a colicky horse worry about shaking it off.

Everyone thank you truly

I have used Prilosec per Vet instructions - I was told to give Sadie 4 Prilosec tablets (every day) for 3 weeks and then to go to 2 tablets (every day) for 3 weeks.

Sadie completely recovered and has not had any issues with ulcers, since.

How did you get the prilosec tablets in Sadie? I don't think they are supposed to be crushed are they? In my understanding most of the stomach medicines aren't supposed to be crushed and I can't figure out how to get them in my mini without getting bitten.

That was also my concern - my Vet suggested that I disolve them in water, (I found using a "shot" glass woks perfectly because it is smaller at the bottom) I also added a bit of molasses to improve the taste, Sadie loved them and looked forward to getting her meds - I know they are not supposed to be crushed but this is what my Vet recommended and it worked.

Latest posts

Back