Ulcer prevention, ranitidine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candycar

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
For those that give their minis ranitidine for ulcer prevention, what is the dose? I forgot how much I gave of the 150mg tabs. I know it was 2X a day, but one or two tabs? I need to put Lexy back on bute for a couple of days for sore feet/laminitis and need the ulcer prevention. She weighs about 370 lbs. My vet won't be back 'till Monday. Thanks!

I give one, twice a day to mine, and I have all sizes from 25" up to 36". I remember seeing something on here a while back that we weren't supposed to give Ranitidine anymore, but I stil use it. Works for me. But the best thing I've found for ulcer prevention is Ugard pellets. I just put a tablespoon or so in their feed every night if one starts eating slow or showing other signs of an ulcer starting. Brings them right out of it. I see you're having to give bute, so I'd definitely give her something for ulcers! Good luck!

When I was giving ranitidine to an approx. 250 lb. mini, I gave at least 3 of the 150 mg. each time; my vet STRESSED that the effects only lasted 8 hours, so it was VERY important to give them as close to every 8 hours as possible. You can do this w/o having to get up in the middle of the night, but you need to start early--say, 6 AM...and finish late, say, 10 PM.

Latest posts

Back