Type of Hay?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, FINALLY got some hay lined up! The lady at the store says that she has minis and she recommended their 1st cut timothy that is tested to be low in sugar. They also have the mini supplement I have been looking at, so we'll get some of that too
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone for the input!

Halo changes on me, all the time. One time she will like the leafier pieces, the next it is the stemmy ones. Just like kids...they like to keep you guessing. LOL
Actually, you'll find that if you lead her out on a line and let her graze in a non-residential area (where grass may be all the same type), she'll pick a little here and a little there. She will eat things (hopefully not poisonous) that you wouldn't think would interest a horse.

In the wild, or in areas where pastures are huge and vastly varied in growth, the horses will eat where their bodies say they need. Rare to see a group of horses eating from the same "patch" of the same type of forage UNLESS they are badly lacking in certain vitamins and minerals... In areas where there are poisonous plants growing, it's also interesting to note that most horses will avoid those. BUT some will eat them and some will get "addicted" to a plant (like they can't seem to live w/o it). Loco weed, on the western plains, is one such plant. The symptoms of the poison as well as the "addiction" to loco weed are varied and fascinating and in the end, sad (of course)...

I would think that most miniature horses would never be exposed to the poisonous plants as most are in smaller pasture/paddock/barn arrangements and their "pastures" are groomed, mowed and "picked".

Jenny -

Glad you found the hay that works for you!

What I wouldn't give to have the same choices available as you do at an affordable price for 37 head!! I miss living in MT and Colorado where we had many choices of hay w/I very reasonable driving distances and delivery and pickup choices!!

The drought and then the over abundance of rain on drought damaged fields mean that the local hay qualities this year are far from good - regardless of the fertilizing and cutting at "optimum times". There were no good times to cut this year and many fields either rotted in the stand as they were too wet to get equipment into or they were burned off to see if the fields would dry out and then the next stand of hay would grow and hopefully be cut. We are woefully short of hay this year - it's the first time I've split my purchasing between 6 local suppliers (usually get ALL my hay from one supplier) in the 10 years we've lived here. Plus getting small bales as needed from two local feed stores (who get theirs from different suppliers)...

Have started adding alfalfa pellets (wet) to the feeding program and may go to feeding alfalfa pellets dry, free choice to some pastures. Also looking at doing the "fodder solutions" - but that's more towards cutting feed than hay. And time consuming - not sure can do that with 40 hour week job... We shall see what we do.

If you ever need to haul a bale of hay in a car try it this way, it is what I did when our old pony got picky and we were trying different hay for him. I was unable to use the truck so had to use my sports car. (No back seat). I used baler string to "slice" the bale into quarters BEFORE cutting the main strings. And tied the quarter strings in effect making four mini bales of hay. Once all strings were securly tied I then cut the main strings. I had to cut one of the quarters in half. Then each mini bale was placed in a garbage bag to keep the car clean. Then I placed the quarters in the car. I can get one entire bale in my car!

Latest posts

Back