trying to reduce my sugar intake

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHF Fancy

Reaction score
The recent posts about quitting caffeine have got me thinking about trying to cut sugar from my diet. I completely quit caffeine over 15 years ago and don't miss it at all. I just stopped one day and that was it. I've tried and failed several times to reduce my sugar intake but I have such a sweet tooth I can't seem to do it. Diabetes runs rampant through my family so I know this is something I should do but I just don't seem to have the will power to stop the sweets. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me? Any books about the effects of sugar on your body? Words of wisdom or tried and true methods?

Like you, I have an insane sweet tooth.

Like an abusive relationship, I know I'll never kick my craving for sugar. I've been trying to trade crappy junk food for the naturally sweet kick you get from fruit. Jamba Juice is now making a fortune off of me
default_yes.gif

The thing that really surprised me about diabetes is that it's NOT just sweets at all. You have to be aware of all carbs. A potato may make my sugar go as high as a brownie :DOH! I watch all carbs, but I do have sweets (just include them in the carbs I'd planned to eat).

I have replaced the refined white sugar with the raw sugar. I just feel it is healthier. I do watch the sweets and try to eat fruit instead of say a brownie. I don't think I will ever take all the treats away, just fewer. I do find that I think more before I eat about why I'm eating and quit eating when I am full. There is a lot less eating here. I lost some weight at first but now I am in a holding pattern....funny how your body adapts to less food.

I have a terrible sweet tooth!!! We always had candy, cake & ice cream in the house. Since I do the grocery shopping, I've found if I don't buy it and it's not in the house, I don't eat it. I've also eliminated sodas from my diet too. Just by dropping all those sweets and sodas from my diet and adding a little exercise, I've lost 13 pounds. I've replaced my munching on sweets with munching on fruit instead. Really love bananas and grapes and will pop them in my mouth instead of sweets. I did have a really weak moment last weekend and bought a Snickers bar.
default_wub.png

Eating sweets does not cause diabetes. Three main factors are Age, Family history and Obesity only one of which we have control over. Too many sweets (my downfall) will cause weight gain which in turn leads to obesity. So you will be more likely to get diabetes from the overweight. Most (not all) people get diabetes (type 2) in their mid to late 50s (I was 57), It runs very heavy in my family on both sides. It's all about the carbs and which foods spike your blood sugar fast or slow to keep your levels on a steady level. And excercise is the best thing to do. I walked 2 miles a day, watched my carbs and lost 80 pounds. Can not keep it off because of lack of excercise. I have bad discs and in much pain if I overdo anything, including walking. So I battle constantly but my last checkup says I am still doing alright.
default_yes.gif
So all said you can't control your age or your family history only your weight. Good luck.

I did not mean to imply that sugar causes diabetes. I understand that it does not but I was implying( I guess in my head) that sugar causes weight gain and in my family with a genetic history if diabetes weight gain is not something I should ignore.

As far as sweets and carbs go, I have absolutely no will power. How have all of you managed to reduced your intake and stay focused? I'm already working out with a trainer but if I don't get my sweet tooth under control I doubt I'll see any results.

If you cut those sweets out you wont want them.. They are a endless circle, eat sweets , want sweets, eat sweets, want sweets..

Yes carbs are the worst, they taste so good and then they turn to sugar and fat and you retain them on your body.

You have to have SOME carbs in your diets ( thats why Atkins diet doesnt work, it works til you eat a carb then you gain the weight back) just not as many as many of us eat.

A carb serving is 15g, so that means you look at labels and if 1 slice of bread says 15 g carb then thats ALL you get - 1 slice.

I think most just dont know how to eat what our body actually NEEDs, most people eat 3 or 4 times that!

3 years ago I decided to change my eating and I lost 26 pounds, went from a size 12 to 6. I had been a 5/7 before my 2 kids!

I feel so much better and love how I look..

I just didnt realize that I was eating the wrong things together and too much of them.

This is so easy and the weight fell off!

Breakfast- 1 protein, 1 carb

Morning Snack- 1 fruit, 1 protein

Lunch- 2 proteins, 1 carb, 2 veggies

Afternoon snack- 1 carb, 1 protein

Dinner- 2 proteins, 2 veggies, 1 carb, 1 fruit.

drink 3 COLD 8 oz glasses of milk a day.

Proteins ARE - meat, cheese, nuts, peanut butter,

Carbs ARE- chips, potatoes, corn, pasta, breads, pancakes,pretzels, cakes, soda, cookies, icecream.

Veggies ARE- carrots, lettuce, spinach, celery, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. CORN and POTATOES are CARBS...

Drink lots of water.

Make sure you only have 15 g carb at a meal. so if you want chips then look on the label say you can have 14 pringles is a carb serving then just stack up your lunchmeat and cheese ( proteins) No bread, you already had your carb serving in the chips...

Or have 1 slice of bread and NO chips...

You adjust with what you like just follow above. At first you will think I cant eat only that much!! Yes you can.

You must eat your meals and snacks listed above to keep your blood sugar level. When you starve or skip meals your body craves carbs, sweets, etc so you gorge on them. If you eat the 5 meals I listed and what I said to have in them you will be full! You will feel better too...

I hope you try it, Good Luck...

Sorry, but bread and chips are NOT interchangeable. There is a vast difference between complex carbohydrates (whole grain breads) and simple carbohydrates such as chips.

For weight gain and blood sugar levels, FATS are just as important as sugar.

It doesn't matter at all whether you use refined sugar or raw or honey or whatever. It all is converted to blood glucose almost instantly. ALL FOOD is eventually converted to blood glucose, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

If you are serious about reducing sugar and fats from your diet, you need to become a fanatic at reading labels. Food manufacturers are essentially drug dealers, using all sorts of subterfuge to maintain your addictions. First, make certain sugar in all of its forms) is the 4th or lower in the list of ingredients. You need to be aware of all of the different names for sugar; often, the ingredients listing will split sugar into high fructose corn syrup, sugar, cane sugar, molasses, honey, etc., just to move it lower down the list.

For fat, you not only look at the # of grams and percentage of RDA, but also look at total calories and calories from fat. Keep calories from fat to less than 25$ of total calories.

Beware of the serving size. Everything may look reasonable, until you see that their serving size is two crackers...yeah, right!

Remember, too, it's not only desserts and treats have high sugar...and some cookies, such as 'Nilla Wafers and Graham Crackers, actually have less sugar than, say, sweet potatoes.

While you're at it, keep an eye on sodium levels. Not to totally ruin eating for you, but most packaged foods contain way too much sodium than anyone, including kids, should eat.

Next time you're in the grocery store, look at the ingredients on Campbell's regular Tomato Soup. Sugar and sodium are ridiculously high.

Once you become a label watcher, you'll develop a second sense as to what horrors lurk on the store shelves and in the freezer, but there are foods that maintain a healthy balance, and they taste GREAT.

Finally, if you are fine with cutting sweets entirely, or if that works best for you, fine. But if you really love your goodies, use common sense. Choose the healthiest options, practice portion control, and look for sweeteners other than sugar, or naturally sweet foods.

For example, I LOVE unsweetened applesauce. It contains the natural sugars in the form of fructose, but these are absorbed more slowly than sugar. I cannot stand sweetened applesauce, so my first choice is the healthiest.

I often have a slice of really good, whole-grain bread with no butter or anything. Sugar is low enough in the ingredients so as not to spike my blood sugar, yet it is extremely satisfying.

Susanne,

I didnt say bread and chips were interchangeable. I said in this way of eating you can do the chips or bread as your 1 carb serving, thats not to say you should never have any bread and always have chips... Of course not! I was giving an example of what you can do.

Its better on that plan to do that than to try to give up chips cold turkey then you are gonna crave them more. Once you do what I did you dont crave sweets or carbs...

You just eat your 15 g carb serving per meal..

I hope everyone realizes when something is LOW FAT they raise the carbs, so look at that label. The fat maybe lower but the carbs are higher so you are gonna have to work hard to burn them off...

I am NOT diabetic and am not saying for anyone to do this who is. Of course you would need to check with your dr.

Serving sizes arent all ridiculous... If you really read and see I havent found one that you can only have 2 crackers with. I am looking at Wheat thins right now that a serving size is 15 crackers. thats 22 g carb, so say you have 10 of those wheat thins(carb) with a slice of cheese(protein)

You are so right about sodium. Soup is the worst! Commercials say that this soup is good for you and not fattening and the sodium is more than you need in a week let alone 1 meal!

PHF Fancy didnt say they had diabeties, they said everyone in their family does and that they have a sweet tooth and doesnt want to become diabetic, so I was giving them what worked for me to loose weight, cut caffeine, cut sugar, cut carbs, it goes hand in hand on this plan...I had a horrible sweet tooth until I did this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on Susanne. Great information. I heard that they are coming out with a new nutritional information on labels with ratings being the higher the number the better it is for you. I think I heard in 2009 or 2010. It is so hard to keep track of all this. My mind just does not retain all this information anymore. There are days I almost give up and say the heck with it all, but I guess we just keep trudging along doing the best we can.

Latest posts

Back