Training Level expectations for driven dressage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
Ok so now that everyone is steady, listening to all aids, excepting the bit....I have been working on getting the dressage part of the CDE perfect
default_aktion033.gif
But after watching the show in NC I am not sure exactly what to work towards in the training level. Some of the horses were up in the neck , some in front of the vertical...many of the minis did not seem like they were going very forward. I am trying to find my minis forward trot with out running them on the forehand, a bit tricky with the faster tempo different from the big horses...I have been aiming for a long stride swinging trot nose on the vertical...and I keep a steady contact on the reins. Some at the show had slack in the reins..

Anyone want to give some ideals for the dressage test? Want to get this right before we go on to the cones...

jegray21 said:
Ok so now that everyone is steady, listening to all aids, excepting the bit....I have been working on getting the dressage part of the CDE perfect
default_aktion033.gif
Sounds like you just did! Steady rhythm in all gaits, submission to the aids and acceptance of the bit are three of the most important things at Training Level. What they're really looking for is that the foundations for further work have been laid. The horse should be soft in his transitions, stand quietly, back readily and without fuss and be consistent in his work. See below for more.

jegray21 said:
But after watching the show in NC I am not sure exactly what to work towards in the training level. Some of the horses were up in the neck , some in front of the vertical...many of the minis did not seem like they were going very forward.
It's a little disappointing how few mini folk seem to "get" dressage. The breed ring teaches you so strongly to focus on the horse's outline and natural quality of movement that the idea of being judged literally on your TRAINING (more than the horse's own quality) is pretty foreign!
default_laugh.png
There is not one particular outline that is right for training level- it's wherever that particular horse is comfortable carrying themselves when moving correctly from the hindquarters. For some horses that will be very low, for others higher with more curve to the neck. Drive your mini like you would a full-sized dressage horse...a horse is a horse is a horse.

Look for them to be forward, relaxed, tracking up and bending properly in the corners. Drive your figures accurately, especially the circles. The horse should be moving freely through the topline and be soft through the jaw. If those are in place you will likely get a very good score!

In the pictures I've seen your minis are actually working in more of a Preliminary frame through the head and neck. Until they're experienced enough to move up you'll want to let them stretch forward into the bit and work in a little lower frame for competitions.

jegray21 said:
I am trying to find my minis forward trot with out running them on the forehand, a bit tricky with the faster tempo different from the big horses...I have been aiming for a long stride swinging trot nose on the vertical...and I keep a steady contact on the reins. Some at the show had slack in the reins..
That is probably why many of those minis you saw weren't very forward- the tempo is misleading and you can feel like you're speeding along when you're really just jogging. I ran into that when I first started driving dressage in a 20x40 arena and didn't believe what the clinician was saying until I saw a video of my lesson. He was right- I was ticka-tapping along when I'd felt like I was running out of control! I'm used to a forward trot on ridden hunters but it just seemed so much faster with that little horse pitter-pattering away in front of me.
default_blush.png

Many drivers also do not know what proper contact feels like especially if they came from Western riding disciplines originally. They must be taught to take up a solid feel of the horse's mouth and learn to hold that contact and encourage the horse to go forward into the bit. By Prelim you will (hopefully) not see anyone driving with slack unless they are doing a stretchy trot circle or free walk. (I'm simplifying of course, those movements aren't exactly "slack" either.
default_wink.png
)

jegray21 said:
Anyone want to give some ideals for the dressage test? Want to get this right before we go on to the cones...
Dressage is cones is marathon is dressage. It's all from the same foundations!
default_biggrin.png
In all three it's important to teach the horse to carry their weight to the rear and accept the driver's aids as a powerful mover will be faster on long stretches, more agile in tight spaces and more balanced through the agility test that is a cones course.
default_wub.png
The top-level champs do not drive hazards at speed in practice until the horse is solid on the dressage, but cones can be used to build that forward trot and rearward balance and will aid in dressage training if used properly. They feed into each other in a wonderful manner.

Leia

Thanks so much I knew I could count you Leia! Ace does like to get too high in the neck and short behind
default_no.gif
Or the opposite too low and behind vertical..Growing pains? I am trying to get him to seek the bit more but have not mastered the transition downward yet
default_unsure.png
I feel like i have to use too much hand to get him to think about coming down to the walk..thus he gets high and tight and hallow!
default_frusty.gif
here if I were riding I would use my seat...so in driving I have been using my voice like I would my seat ? is this making sense to any one!

jegray21 said:
I am trying to get him to seek the bit more but have not mastered the transition downward yet
default_unsure.png
I feel like i have to use too much hand to get him to think about coming down to the walk..thus he gets high and tight and hallow!
default_frusty.gif
here if I were riding I would use my seat...so in driving I have been using my voice like I would my seat ? is this making sense to any one!
Go ahead and use your seat! A big part of driving transitions is your own posture, energy and breath, and that is most of what goes into seatwork. To make a downward transition I will sit tall, open my shoulders and allow my energy to drop into my hips as I breath down into the transition. Most of the time the horse will soften and slow on their own without any rein cue at all if done properly. For those newer drivers, think of how a herd runs together. When it's time to slow, they all slow! They sense that relaxation in the other horses and match their own energy level to the leader. You can do that as well even though you are neither another horse nor on their back. It's amazing what they can sense through the reins and the balance of the cart.

Jegray, just a reminder but also soften and use more halt-halts rather than getting into a wrestling match with him. He's green- just wait him out and reward for the soft transition!

Leia

Latest posts

Back