Trailering and Event Supplies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renolizzie

Reaction score
Okay, so I have signed up for a local event that is about 40 miles away. It is a trail clinic and challenge. I will be doing the in hand obstacles clinic and challenge. It looks like we will be able to drive the carts as well but I am just going to watch that challenge. I am totally new at horses. I am not sure what to bring with me. I practiced driving the trailer and I think it will be fine unless I have to back up. I'll try to get more backing up practice in before I go next weekend.

I probably should bring a water bucket and his grass hay. His senior food supplement and his food dish. The cart, of course, and his harness. [Oh, and I probably bring a few apples and carrots, his faves:) ] His grooming supplies. Maybe an extra halter. His long rope and his lead ropes.

I am really hoping someone there will be able to help me out with the breeching. There is a bunch of straps but I haven't a clue how to put them together. It looks like there will be several people there with minis.

Should I get a hay net? Should I get one of those flat sided buckets and some sort of hanger for the bucket for his water? Should I try to bring a pan big enough to put his hay in?

He will be staying overnight in a pipe corral and I will be coming home to eat and sleep and then driving back early in the morning. I'm worried about leaving him there because I like to worry. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Any hints, tips, suggestions????

You need: food, food and water buckets and hangers, halter, lead, grooming supplies, fly repellent, cart and harness (someone will be glad to help you out, just ask!)

No on the hay net. He could get caught in it when you are away. If you must, get a hay bag. The solid ones with a nose opening. Not much chance of getting snagged in that.

Keep the extra halter and leads in you truck so they don't get stolen.

You should also have a card with your horses photo and your conact info and vet info in case of emergency. Laminate it or put it in a ziplock bag and tape it on your stall where he cannot reach it.

Thanks Billie and Field of - I am looking forward to taking the little guy out but worried I may miss some detail and have a problem. I appreciate your help.

Make sure you have your vaccination and coggins (if needed) paperwork on hand. I show at my club shows, in the same state, and am required to present a clear coggins record each year. You may not need either, but it's best to be safe just in case.

Latest posts

Back