Tough foaling and a new twist I had never seen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
Last night we had a little filly that was born and got hung up with one leg behind her head. Which required pushing her back in for about 15 minutes while manipulating the head and legs into a better position.
default_unsure.png

Needless to say the bag was already broke and the filly would have died if my dear wife had not done something I had never seen before. So I thought I would pass it along.
default_biggrin.png

Just the tip of the nose was going in & out. Prior to starting to re-position the baby, she cut two lengths of 1/2" aquarium tubing about 24" long and inserted them into the filly's nose prior to pushing her back in. I could hear her breathing thru the tubes while Cindy was working on the leg etc.
default_aktion033.gif

15 - 20 minutes later we had a pretty little healthy pinto filly born with no complications.
default_wub.png

I thought it was a pretty neat trick that everyone could add to their arsenal during this foaling season.
default_wink.png

First CONGRATULATIONS on your filly.

What an ideal, will be adding that to our foal kit.

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
That is one lady you want to keep (your wife)

My husband wants to know, inquisitive minds how did your wife have the tubing in the barn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to get the aquarium tubing and then hope I never have to use it.

You have a "smart cookie" wife, don 't you
default_laugh.png

Holy schmoly! That's ingenius!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Congrats on the new filly and congrats on having such a clever (and clear thinking) wife!!

WOW! Awesome Idea! I am so happy your filly is ok! Thanks for sharing!

So glad your filly was OK...congratulations on her safe delivery! I also wanted to say, that in several foaling books and articles that I have read over the years, they say that the foal does not actually breathe until after it is born past the sternum/chest. I have always wondered about this, as I am always scared to break the sac too soon, worrying that maybe if I had to push the foal back or if the mare got up and "sucked it back" that it may die if the sac was broken???

So glad your filly was OK...congratulations on her safe delivery! I also wanted to say, that in several foaling books and articles that I have read over the years, they say that the foal does not actually breathe until after it is born past the sternum/chest. I have always wondered about this, as I am always scared to break the sac too soon, worrying that maybe if I had to push the foal back or if the mare got up and "sucked it back" that it may die if the sac was broken???
The moment the foal leaves the uterus, its source of oxygen shifts from the placenta to its own lungs. Immediately remove any placenta that is covering the foal’s nostrils. Breathing efforts should begin within 30 seconds, and regular respiration within one minute. While the placenta is normally broken by the foal’s front feet, if this does not occur, break the placenta making sure it is cleaned away from the nose. Check the nasal passage and make sure it is clear of mucus. After 11 months of work and investment, more than one foal has been lost because of suffocation.

The above is what the web said with regard to when breathing starts

Congrats on the filly!

That was a great idea with the tubing. I think I will have to head out here in a bit to get some tubing just in case.

That is ingenius! I will keep that in mind! This should get posted to the LB tips and tricks section.

what a great story and wife! Now the only problem is we want to see pics of this new baby!!

your wife must be an amazing quick thinker!!! KUdos for a job well done.. Congratulations on your new little filly !!!!

Great idea!! Glad you got a healthy filly!!! (which of course you decided not to post pics!!! Hahaha!!!)

After 37 years of her allowing me to be around, you might say I am still pretty impressed with her. But don't tell her I told you that. LOL :love

It would ruin my image etc.
default_new_shocked.gif

After having delivered over 450 babies, she has gotten pretty good at this stuff. Rarely do we have to go to the vet for help. Unless there is a really severe problem. And even then it is usually for medication of some sort.
default_worshippy.gif

By the way, the tubing she used was the large soft stuff that has an inside opening of 3/8". I do not know if the little stuff would have worked as well.

Julie wants to know if you are going to name this one totally tubular? LOL Anyway congrats again!!

Congratulations on your brilliant wife and healthy filly!

How far did she insert the tube in the filly's nose? Just a short distance, or all the way to the lungs? I'm guessing she had prior experience with such a thing. I don't, and don't know if I'd be able to during a crisis situation like that!

I to am under the impression that a foal that has not been born past the chest isnt breathing on its own ? I have personally had to push a foal back in after the sac has been broke and not had a problem. The tubing is a great idea , but how do you know if you are getting it to the foals lungs and not stomach?

Love the idea and love the name Totally Tubular!! I also love that you guys are still so cute as a married couple after 37 years!! Gives us all hope!! Congrats on the new baby. Can't wait to see the pics!!

She inserted it with the curve of the tubing up and while I was trying to help put the second one in. She said turn it over to help prevent insertion in the wrong place. Whatever that means. I took it to mean into the airway as versus into the mouth. But I will ask her to explain. As far as the distance in she put it in about 4-6". :DOH!

Hope that helps. That name by the way is cute. I will mention it to the boss.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back