Tonto Gets His Running Shoes!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"City Slicker"

Reaction score
I went into Wal mart with tape measure in hand. Started to measure kids runners, had an woman in shoe dept come up and asked what the heck I was doing. I told her I was looking for runners I could make for my Miniature horse and got the weirdest look you could amagine! Anyways this is the finished product and perfect fit, after some triming! Hey they only cost $20.00 bucks for two pair, pair for front & pair rear. :aktion033:

first before trim
P0001445.jpg

step one
P0001446.jpg

step two
P0001447.jpg

step three
P0001444.jpg

step four
P0001443.jpg

step five... ta da ! perfect fit!
P0001442.jpg

P0001442.jpg

Very creative :aktion033: :aktion033: Think I will have to try some of those. How did you measure to gt what you wanted? Mary

Wow, how cool is that. Great work.

Ginny StP

Nice to see the finished product...I couldn't quite picture it when you told me about them. lol

GREAT IDEA for those retirement home visits some of us do. Maybe I could get you to measure

up my little 24" 2yr old Pixie
default_wub.png
: next time you're by? She'd probably need baby booties ehh?

Just Adorable Bob!

default_yes.gif
: Wow how neat! I need some for Shortcake. What holds them closed, the laces or velcro? And what size did you start with? Maxine

Those are very cute and quite clever.

I knit booties for Timmy :new_shocked:

Hi Bob,

How did you go about doing your measurements?

Bottom of hoof, length and width? Then when you go to the shoe, how do you measure the shoe?

Thought I might borrow your idea for my driving horse too, we live on a hard gravel road!

Thanks Bob,

Mike

Now that is pure genius! Tell us more and do take more pics in the sun shine.

I got the idea from Riding my Arab (pleasure only) and No he doesn't live here :bgrin I board him

I use Old Mac's horse boots for him. So after doing some studying, I decided why not make some for Junior.

I figured it can't be that hard find a kids runner that I could cut up, and if I mess up it's only $10 a pair and start over! To measure I used the diagram that you use to measure a full size hoof to get the size req'd for these boots. So if you use this pic, and with a little inginuity you can make them too! Tonto a "B" size mini (just over 34") .

HooveImage.jpg

and if you make them 1/2" longer it's good!! as the sides will wrap all the way around .

P0001452.jpg

P0001451.jpg

P0001454.jpg

he is ok around the house with them, so I'll see how it is driving him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Tonto goes out to see Santa frequently, and I'm forever doing his hoofies in vet wrap.. This is awesome. It will allow the boys to get out in town more..

Thanks so very very much,

God Bless,

Lynn W

Those are great. The other thing I have found that works great are the build a bear shoes. They fit my little mare. Was going to have a soccer player this year for custom.

I ended up buying the Build A Bear boots for Shortcake. She's small at 27" as a 2YR old.

I bought the pink and white sneaker ones, SO cute! Turned out I couldn't get her foot down into to boot so had to cut away the back but now seem ok. She's not crazy about them yet but with time will do fine for her nursing home visits.

I like the rubber soles on them too. Got them from a lady who list them on Ebay but also I believe is forum member? Great to deal with and they were only $5 a pair at the time, I got two pair,makes me mad as I can't remember her name
default_wacko.png
: Got to Build A Bear search on forum and bet it would come up.

Maxine

Wahoo!! They have been graveling and oiling the roads around our neighborhood. Freshly oiled roads are SO slick, I'm afraid to drive on them. Perhaps these would be good for Bilbo for driving! PLEASE let us know how they do for driving!! Do they stay on? Would I be able to trot with them on?? I'd like know so that I know what to expect if I make some for the horses around here...

Kim R.

"City Slicker"

What a neat idea!! Sounds like that would work perfect for the Nursing Home visits!

Thanks for sharing and for all the info on how to make them.

Looks like my little Sadie will be getting some new shoes!!

Latest posts

Back