Tired of waiting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperhill

Reaction score
Our little Jenny is on day 360 of her gestation. She has a bag that seems to be getting bigger, but it never gets full and/or hard. I check it several times a day and it never changes. WHEN is this animal going to foal!!! She looks like the foal dropped last week as her shape changed dramatically. This is our first donkey foal so I'm not familiar with their signs. I've done some reading, but it isn't the same as experience! How long is an average gestation? Are their any other signs I should be watching for? Help

Haha I knwo that feeling. Jason has a foal due any day, he has been saying it will be tonight for 2 weeks.....lol. I am new at this so I cant give you and advice. Sorry

Jennys sure like to keep there owners in suspense, dont they? :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: Most of mine went close to 12 1/2 months. Can you post a picture of her bag? Have you checked her vulva for color changes? If you noticied that she dropped, the baby is most likely getting in position to be born. How are her nipples? (inverted or sticking straight out). Cant wait to see baby pictures of the new arrival
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: Corinne

Mine have always foaled pushing 13 months. The last one started bagging up at least a month before and a day or so before foaling her bag was tight as a drum. Check her vulva/crotch daily ....you'll notice it getting very loose right before birthing too.

Hello! Shannon here. I am new to mini donkey's foaling too and I also have jennet that I was told was due in August and she hasn't bagged up or anything. She's just big and huggable! So I guess we will be waiting together! Julie, aka jdomep, is right about the book she mentioned. It is fantastic and they have very quick shipping too. I went ahead and got the two book deal because you save a little money that way and I think it's worth it. VERY imformative books!
default_yes.gif
: And these other ladies posting on here know ALOT and are so helpful!

Can't wait to see the little babe! Good luck! :aktion033: Shannon

Well, I guess I will just have to wait.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I have read the Donkey Foaling Manual and found it to be very helpful, I was just hoping there was some secret way of telling that wasn't in the book!

This little Jenny is starting to show some changes, FINALLY. Her bag is starting to get hard, but her teats are still soft. They look like a couple of thumbs hanging straight down, but they are soft and pliable still. No real changes in the vulva area, maybe a bit puffier, but the color is still the same. It is easy to get some sticky, yellowish, cloudy milk from her. If 12.5 months is the common theme, then I have about 2 more weeks to wait. :bgrin

AAARRRGGGHHHH - sorry guys but i keep finding these old posts with NO ENDING! did this jennet foal yet? maybe i am just being lazy and there was a new post started once the baby arrived and it's somewhere on page 3 or 4... i haven't gotten that far yet LOL.

Well, I've got another similar story to add to this thread! Bought a jenny who looked kind of pregnant at auction in November. Vet checked as pregnant in December, with a predicted due date of 'late February or early March'. Baby Daisy was born on July 8th!!! Momma was huge and baby, in my opinion, was overcooked with legs as long as her momma's, 3" hair and TEETH!! But all was well and she's truly a joy to have!

Happy waiting!!

Jayne

Latest posts

Back