Time Limit???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilSapphire

Reaction score
This may sound really dumb BUT, is there a limit to the amount of time that you can soak hay in water? Like I need to start soaking Sapphire's hay now that Spring/Summer is coming along and I don't have time in the morning to really soak it so could I put it in water from say 9:30 til 6:30 the next morning? Thanks

Jessica

Gosh i really don't know but this is what i did for an older mare and it worked with no coughing. I just put the hay in a water pail, dunked it down good and pulled it out and was sure to let the "dirty" water drain away from it for a minute or so and fed it.

Hope you get some more answers.

That will not do it any good at all- it will start to break down. I would suggest 10 mins to 1/2 hour- can you maybe do that immediately before giving it to her??

I used to put it in a hay net, stick it in a dustbin of water and weight it down and then I could hoist it out and let it drain quite easily.

Remember to use fresh water each time!!
default_yes.gif
:

'Fizz is right on target-"soaking"hay actually should be done for only a VERY short time-and, in fresh water each time. Ten, or even five, minutes should do it, if it's fully immersed-much longer will turn it into MUSH, and leach many of the nutrients right out of it, into the water which should be thrown out!

Thanks everyone! That will actually work just fine for me. I will do 15 min of soaking, my old vet had told me 30-45 min and I didn't have that much time so that was why I was asking. She needs it soaked b.c she had a very minor founder and now I'm a big worry wart and I continue to soak her hay to get those darn sugars out.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Yep, I will definitly use fresh water all the time!
default_yes.gif
:

Jessica

I used to put it in a hay net, stick it in a dustbin of water and weight it down and then I could hoist it out and let it drain quite easily.
I do something similar, but I don't like haynets and don't even like to have them around the barn so I use a system of two buckets, and put holes in the inner one, or use a laundry basket for the inner one. Saved me sooo much time (and kept me a lot cleaner and dryer
default_rolleyes.gif
: ). Measure the hay at night into the bin, fill it with water first thing in the am before you feed, and by the time you've got the AM feed measured and fed, your hay will be ready. Pull out the inner bucket, it self drains, and away you go!

I have the tiny hole haynets- never had a problem with them- the only thing that could get a hoof in is a foal and I do not feed hay in the Summer.
default_smile.png

Back