Ticks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought there was a topic about ticks, but cannot find it. I found one yesterday on my horse. I think it was there a couple of days as I felt it before but I thought it was just a small wound. So hairy now it's hard to get a good look at things. I got up close and personal on it and saw the tick. It was attached, but had not swelled up, which was odd. When I took it off, there was a hard area and the bite opening looked like a little crater. I put some neosporin on it and will take another look today. I hate ticks.

I have allowed them to graze in a new area as their regular area is getting grazed down.

I got a survey from a university a few months ago that is developing a systemic tick medication. I don't think I would do that, as I'm reluctant to give too much medication. But when I find those little monsters on my horses, I might consider it.

Heres one but it may not be the one you remember http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php/topic/138025-tick-protection/

From search it pulled up many topics about it, I mention that because one of them was about Lyme from tick bites.. I know you will but keep a close eye on it. Ticks have been bad here this Winter for some reason and not like other years when it could be blamed on no cold.

Off topic but I had a problem with a horse and a tick once it was awful. Big horse and down in the ear.. infected and she was not only horrible to treat but horrible to the point of dangerous from then on.

The odd thing about this tick was that it didn't swell up. I usually go over my horses every couple of days. I just didn't connect the little scab-thing I felt with a tick this time of year. Usually when you feel a tick, it wiggles a little and this one didn't. We don't have many worries about lyme here in OK, thank goodness, but every year it seems like more bad stuff is relocating to new areas.

My new horse is fine with his ears to bridle, but if you try to go down inside the ear he used to go ballistic. I've been working with him to get him more comfortable to have his ears worked on, because one never knows when he will need to do something there. He is getting better. And I can check for ticks in his ears now.

I have had my share of tick related horse illness. My old morgan x pony had both Lyme and anaplasmosis, my POA had Lyme and Cappy just had anaplasmosis in December.

I don't know if the ticks in your area carry anaplasmosis, but keep an eye out for that if they do. Symptoms can come on fast. Both of mine were fine and then a couple hours later obviously sick. Anorexia, lethargy and a high temp are the symptoms. IV Oxytet set them straight but it wasn't cheap.

I wonder if the tick was not engorge because the horse rubbed it and killed it. If you wormed with ivermectin lately, that might of done it in too, maybe (I think I read that somewhere, not positive though)

Sheaths are another wonderful hiding spot for ticks. No fun trying to deal with that either ??????

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back