Thrush

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintMeFancy

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I have dealt with thursh - what is easy and not horribly expensive to put on her feet?

My new mini I noticed when I cleaned out her hoofs today that there was thrush hiding underneath and I think it has been there for quite some time. It has eaten deep around her frogs and the top of one of her frogs was half off and there was mold in between - I got the dead frog pealed off and cleaned off the mold and all the thrush I could get out - now I want something preferably to spray in there once or twice a day (once is better - mornings are tight the days I work) - to clear it up before we actually start the raining season!

My gelding always gets a minor case in the winter but just cleaning his feet out normally makes it go away and it is always minimal and just surface - this is so deep and I can't imagine it going away on its own. luckily now she is in a dry lot pasture with only her - so hoping that will make a difference - when I got her she was in a smaller area with I think 4 others - although it appeared clean - just hoping it won't be a chronic issue with her... she seems to poop/pee in far corner so her paddock even with no cleaning stays very nice - she is in a 40 x 20 ish area

Very dilute lysol...i mix up and spray on

Last edited by a moderator:
My mini mule came to me with a bad case of thrush. I had never dealt with it up untill then. All I used was Cut Heal/Hoof Heal a couple of times a week(that's all I could catch her then) and it healed up very well. It's a brush on hoof treatment, and I've always used it on my others just for general maintenance. It says on the bottle it's a top pick from horse journal for thrush treatment. Good Luck!

I like ThrushBuster, tried and true.

Also have had lots of success with mastitis dry cow syringes (the penicillin ones like Quartermaster or Today or whatever) and they're only a few bucks a tube.

Or, my farrier did have me put a mix of neosporin and athletes foot cream(blanking on the active ingredient, it's a fungicide) in really deep thrush that worked really well.

Never really use bleach or lysol, I try to stick with stuff that's not otherwise caustic to tissue.

So far I heard thrush buster nd the diluted Lysol work best!
default_smile.png

Thanks all - I think thrush buster is what I used before - I now there was a homemade concoction I used as well in a spray bottle and can't remember what now.
default_sad.png

Never heard of lysol... hhhmmm don't think I have any at home - so probably just head to tack store this week and get the thrush buster..

Thanks
default_smile.png

I used peroxide with very good results. I just cleaned out the hoof, poured on the peroxide and held the hoof up, like a dish, for a few seconds every day. It took about a week.

I also use Thrushbuster - I love the product and the quick results.
default_smile.png

Liz N.

Thrushbuster blue fingers says you care, lol!..farrier suggested bleach/water mix, but I worry about irritation. Peroxide is fine if hoof is in great shape otherwise, but if there is a possibility of getting into a closed space, it can sometimes cause swelling, I'm told.

Peroxide can eat away healthy tissue as well as old - usually find for a fresh wound type thing but not something typically for long periods of time or older issues as it can prevent healing over promote it - Usually its one of those use it at the beginning to get good and clean and move on - not sure what/if any it can eat on the hoof though - research time! As I have that at home.

Thrush buster and Dermasole (think that is what it was) - were the two I used before - farrier had some extra/old white lightening he gave me today so I will use that (never have before) -- since I am out of the others.

White Lightning and a product called CleanTrax work really well on stubborn thrush cases, but are definitely more costly...

Latest posts

Back