Three pet deaths, one sick horse....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammie-C_Spots

Reaction score
It's been a tough two weeks! First my daughter's pet Beta fish died. She and I were quite sad to find "miss Beta" had passed. Three days later my leopard mare Saga lost her foal at 9.5 months along. Not only were we sad but a wonderful lady Jamie in AL that had put a reserve on this foal was also sad. She was a wonderful leggy black appy filly with blanket and shoulder patches and tons of spots. She got a torsion in the cord. The next day my Eclectus parrot, Juliet, had an accident and died after flying into a sliding glass door. We thought that things seem to come in threes so maybe out bad luck was done but not so... Friday our 9 month old appy filly was showing colic signs. I treated her at home and she was comfortable till Sat afternoon when problems returned. She was having painful episodes and lying down flat. Had to make an emergency call to my vet who came right out (to a tune of $200). A blizzard was due to start that night (and it did- it's still snowing) so it was recommended we bring her to Tufts University for observation and treatment which we did (at an estimate of $1500-$2500). Spoke to the vet today and she's doing better so looks like we will be able to avoid the surgery (quoted at 6K for a mini).

It's just been difficult emotionally and it's wonderful to have a forum family that understands how it is.

Tammie

Oh, Tammie, it sounds like you've just been put through the WRINGER this week and I'm so sorry for it.

You have my thoughts and hopes that your filly will come through just fine, and that you're done having losses and illnesses and can have a peaceful and quiet time with which to come to terms with the losses already passed.

Liz M.

OUCH!!!!! Ssorry for all your bad things, sure did pile up all at once.

Yuck, I know exactly how you feel, we are going through a bad spell for nasty things happening here too. I've lost count but I know we are over the "bad things come in 3's", I think we are up to about 6, so maybe we got two sets of the 3's
default_wacko.png
:

I hope your filly gets better quick.

Hugs to you!

Oh my soo sorry..seems like it escalated..so glad your mare is doing better ((()))

So sorry you're having such a bad time of it. From here on, may you only have good luck with all your babies.

OH NO TAMMIE! :new_shocked: THAT IS TERRIBLE! :no: Loosing one is bad enough , but three :new_shocked: ! Then a sick one on top of that too :new_shocked: ...

I AM SO SORRY! I will be praying your filly makes a quick recovery and is back home soon!

What a terrible time for you. :no:

I hope things get better for you. Keep us posted on your sick filly.

Jeri

Tammie, it's so hard to believe that all this could happen to you in such a short time. I'm so terribly sorry and will say prayers for your mare at Tufts. Sounds like you will avoid surgery and that's great as you have bills enough. Mr. B went to Tufts for impaction colic and they were wheeling him down the hall to surgery when he started to poop and poop and poop and saved us thousands. Keep us informed of her progress.

Joyce

Tammie,

I am so sorry to hear about your losses.

I sincerely hope your little filly can come home and will be totally fine!

Susan O.

Tammie, WOW you have sure had a couple of rough weeks! I had a January like that--they say it comes in 3's and it sure did for me. Cookie, my 7 month old filly died, 2 days later, I found a stray puppy about 6-8 weeks old in a freezing ice storm, brought her home, she is now my Angel, and the following day my Chilly was born, who didnt make it. I sure hope everything will be Ok with your filly. (((huggss))) to you. Corinne

OOO WOW - OUCH! :new_shocked: Why does that seem to happen???

I am glad your foal is getting better, though. That's the important thing!

MA

Awww I'm so sorry for your losses. We had a little parakeeet once in CA that flew into one of our french sliding glass doors, altho she did'nt break her neck she got one heck of a hit. She did end up coming back out of it tho. I'm glad to hear that your little mini is doing well. Hope she continues to progress.

:no: OH MAN YOUVE HAD IT BAAAD, I HOPE THINGS CHANGE FOR YOU PRETTY SOON,ILL KEEP YOU IN MY THOUGHTS,I FEEL SO BAD FOR YOU,
default_sad.png
BEST WISHES...LYNDA :no:

Hello Tammy,

I am sorry to hear of your losses. Lets hope its over for you now. Prayers for your filly.

Hugs

Bonnie

Oo ~HUGS~ Tammie, what a week for you and Lyssa, and Jamie..sorry about your losses and I sure hope your filly improves and is home soon!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your tough couple of weeks. I hope you are over the hump now and things will start looking up for you. Sending prayers that your colicky filly is doing alright.
default_sad.png

[SIZE=10pt]Tammie, I will keep you and your filly in my prayers...its so hard to say Goodbye to one...let alone so many friends in such a short time...sending hugs your way....((()))[/SIZE]

Tammie, I'm so sorry to hear of your additional losses, it is soo hard to lose so much in a short amount of time. Our pets are all so special to us.

And now Calista sick too, poor baby! Glad to hear she is doing well, and hope she can come home soon. Sending prayers for a complete recovery!

Big hugs to you & Lyssa!!

Tammie, I'm sorry for your losses. Things do seem to come in spells, whether it's in threes or more. Hope things turn around for you and your filly makes a quick recovery. $6000 for colic surgery?? Yikes! Last one we had - several years ago - was about $3500.

Jan

Geez Tammie this is so unfair and just plain flat out sad. I'm so sorry you've been put through all this. you're one of the best horse mommy's I know and I just don't understand why these things just have to happen the way they do. Hugs Tam.......(((((( ))))))

Latest posts

Back