Those with experience with fish tanks, etc

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
I am wanting to setup my aquarium again, and have never had any luck with any fish other then bettas, and goldfish. I tried Mollies and they would do well for a week or do and then just get sick and die. Even after i would fishless cycle the tanks and check pH etc. Never thought to check hardness. Well its off the charts! I don't think it can be much harder, and according to the test all I can have in that type of hardness is goldfish and cichlids. I know tropical fish need much softer water, so no wonder they never did well. I think its because our water comes out of a well. Anything I can add to the water to make it softer? Or maybe a filter or something for the sink to make it softer? Or is it too much trouble and just sick with my cheapo pretty goldfish lol
default_laugh.png

I have incredibly hard water and my fish really thrive in it. I keep guppies and cory cats.

Depending on the size of your tank, you could buy gallons of water, but that could get expensive if you have a bigger tank, or multiple tanks.

I had a lot of luck with my tank, and I think this is why...It was set up in a room with lots of light , but not in direct sunlight ...so the algae never became a problem...I used my Alhambra water to add water , and for the initial filling of the tank , I never used tap water, and still added a few drops of the water conditioner. I stuck with a few hardy fish..Tetras, Graumies, (I think) because they dont have as much amonia in their urine , and had a few live plants with snails. This kept my tank virtualy maintance free. Not too many fish, and bottled water. Good luck , I miss having a tank. Gold fish have a lot of amonia in the urine , so stick with guppies or tetras .

Last edited:
I kept a 75 gallon saltwater tank for several years. Our well water is not suitable for aquarium fish either and I ended up having to buy purified water for it. It was a bit pricey to fill it originally but I hardly had to do any water changes. I had my filter system set up right and made sure to never overstock my tank. I had a reputable saltwater expert tell me that if you have everything set up right like that you should never have to do anything other than top off the tank when needed. Other than buying water I think that there is something that you can add to the water that "softens" it but I would have to look it up to see exactly what the name of it is.

I just checked my Foster and Smith catalog and they have several conditioners that would work for you. NovAqua Plus is one that should work. Their website is www.drsfostersmith.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I found an article online that was interesting. it mentioned about how older houses with aging pipes can have very hard water. Sure enough checked the water that come directly out of the well that we use for the horses and its in the perfect hardness/pH range for tropical fish. No wonder I have always prefered the taste of hose water lol. I am wanting a community tank, somethign pretty to look at. So I was wanting to go with several types of goldfish, or now I can go tropical. I currently have a 10gallon but am wanting to go bigger. But not sure how much bigger. I know wally world has a 55g tank kit on sale right now and it comes with everything (filter, lights, etc) But not sure if thats too big for a tropical community. Other size is a 29g kit.

Guess I need to keep planning it all out.
default_biggrin.png

A 29 gallon tank is a nice size, I have one upstairs. You can fit a good amount of fish, plants, and decorations in it, and its easier to find a place for in the house than a 55. I also have a small 10 gallon because my guppies breed like rabbits, and my 29 was overcrowded. I have a 55 I might set up for my mom, she likes cichlids, but they're more of an aggressive fish and need more room.

We have terrible water here, so when I had discus, I used bottled water and there are things you can buy to soften the water safely from your local fish store. I just have some tropical fish now and use the water from the well, and they do ok, but man, it is hard on everything.

The bottled water (I just took my big jugs and filled them at the water machine at the store) is 7.0 PH, so is right where it should be.

Latest posts

Back