Plecos (Algae eating fish) In water tanks?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 5- 10cent goldfish for my water trough 5 years ago and they have lived in there since without ever being fed by me. They winter in there ( it is heated.by one of those that fits in the plug) and I change out the water in the summer. Horses dont seem to mind and it seems like a pretty good life for a goldfish if you ask me! My reasoning was to cut back insects breeding in the standing water.

Hi, Amy --

I haven't read through the replies, but did read your oginal post.

Obviously, I'm a horse person... but I'm also pretty much an avid fishkeeper!

With plecos, the common (brown) variety, I think, I very territorial. So you wouldn't want more than one in a tank. Plus, they also do create a lot of waste and, if they live long enough, become very large. They are most often kept in "tropical" tanks, but actually can do well in household unheated goldfish tanks. But, I don't think they could ever do as well as goldfish when it comes to a wide range of temperatures. Additionally, they are very noctournal and should have a log, driftwood (ideal) or at least a PVC pipe to hide in during the day. We have quite a few... two common in large tanks (one in a big goldfish tank, one in a tropical type tank) and lots of neat "bushy nose / bristlenose" albino plecos that are not so territoral.

Our horse tanks here are just those low 55g Rubbermaid kind. We don't keep any fish in them. I just have a toilet brush (obviously, not used ever in a toilet!) and periodically scrub the tanks with that. It only takes me a couple minutes per tank
default_yes.gif

Best of luck!!!
I've used one or two smaller feeder goldfish (The ones you can get for 10-15 cents apiece) and it works pretty well as I also flush the old water with new pretty often. When it starts to get cooler in the fall I put the goldfish into our large natural spring fed pond (no outlet) and they reproduce like mad, as do the minnows. I now also have a ton of turtles and other wildlife who come eat the fish. I am now going to look for silver ware instead!!!! I have never heard of this before (so glad for this site!). I also feel totally stupid and am going to go buy a dedicated toilet brush!!!! DUH!!! I dump mine out often and scrub with a scrub brush but not as often as I should because it
such a miserable mess. Why do I do things the hard way?! Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I bought 5- 10cent goldfish for my water trough 5 years ago and they have lived in there since without ever being fed by me. They winter in there ( it is heated.by one of those that fits in the plug) and I change out the water in the summer. Horses dont seem to mind and it seems like a pretty good life for a goldfish if you ask me! My reasoning was to cut back insects breeding in the standing water.
I liked the fish and only needed a couple and they did quite well (lots of mosquito larvae here!) I remove them before freezing temps here so they can acclimate to the larger pond(also a wonderful life for a fish!). But I remove them because I have had tank heaters fail, with fish frozen in a huge block of ice. I felt horrible!

I liked the fish and only needed a couple and they did quite well (lots of mosquito larvae here!) I remove them before freezing temps here so they can acclimate to the larger pond(also a wonderful life for a fish!). But I remove them because I have had tank heaters fail, with fish frozen in a huge block of ice. I felt horrible!
I've had goldfish freeze in the winter before. Believe it or not, they thawed out and were fine. I broke out the ice, thinking "poor fish". The ice melted and they were flopping around so I quickly put them back in some water. But I guess it would depend on how long they were in ice.

What size water troughs do you have? I personally like smaller ones. I empty out the old water and scrub the algea off every three days so the horses have pretty clean water to drink. I live in Arizona, and it's pretty hot here now. I want to make the water as appetizing as possible. :)

Just got back from tractor supply. They have tiny burlap bags stuffed with barley straw. Suppose to do the same thing? Has anyone tried this. I think I will try it out came warmer weather. $4.99 suppose to last for two months or more.
I tried those and they didn't work for me.

I've had goldfish freeze in the winter before. Believe it or not, they thawed out and were fine. I broke out the ice, thinking "poor fish". The ice melted and they were flopping around so I quickly put them back in some water. But I guess it would depend on how long they were in ice.
If the tank has a heater in it to keep it from freezing over, the goldfish should have no problnem making it through winter.

Latest posts

Back