This is the color they expect Belle's foal will be, what is it called?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anngee

Reaction score
We will love anything, but my husband REALLY liked this little one. If this is what we get, what would you call it?

I really hope for a healthy baby & Mama...then I really hope she has a girl. I don't want to think about them breeding & I don't know if horses are sneakey like dogs can be. If it is a Colt how soon can they be fixed? The thought of this being in my hands makes me really nervous. The lady I bought her from said tonight to call her anytime during her foaling & hopefully someone will be on here when it starts. Should I have a bottle and milk on hand in case she won't feed it? Not sure how long the foal can go with out eating & all stores may be closed.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

baby doesn't need milk like you buy at the store it needs colostrum. Check with your vet for access to emergency colostrum.

The mare has foaled before and likely will know just how to take care of her foal, barring any complications.

There are a lot of good books on foaling and foals with lots of great information in them.

"The Complete Book of Foaling" by Karen E N Hayes DVM

and

"Complete Foaling Manual" by Theresa Jones

are two of my favorites.

Thank you. I will add those books to my book list. I don't ever plan to breed in the future, just want to get this one here safely.

The foal's color in your picture looks like a silver black.

That means it has a base coat of black with a "silver" dilute gene added. The "Silver" gene works on black only (diluting it) - so if it is on a bay, it looks like the horse is a chestnut when it is really a silver bay.

I have a lot of silver blacks and currently 2 silver bays. I have LOTS of pictures of them from birth thru their current ages (the first one born to us will be 20 yrs old in May). The actual silver black color is also affected by shading in the coat and "bleaching" by sunlight as are all horse colors - but it REALLY shows in a "silver". I love all the different shades that a silver coated horse goes thru from "foal hood" to adult and the change from winter to summer and back to winter coats.

Here is a picture of a newborn silver tobiano filly with her dam. And then the same filly partially clipped (after her baby coat had "sun bleached"). And then that same filly as a yearling while staying in a barn all summer and now having her winter coat while being shown and then a clipped coat in the show ring a about 9 months later.

Flashi was born on the 11th of April. She's still a bit damp in this photo...

11apr11kfilly823.jpg

These 2 taken on the 17th of May

11may17fl115v.jpg

11may17fl129v.jpg

October 2012 - so 1.5 yrs old.

12oct28fla815a.jpg

12 July 2013.

13jul12fla313.jpg

Close up up her "sun bleached" hip just 2 weeks later!

13jul29fla580.jpg

Flashi has been color tested. She is homozygous for black (no RED babies), single gene for silver & single gene for tobiano spotting. No bay or brown agouti. She is negative on both LWO(frame) and SB1. Sabino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a post I did on OUR ponies' coat colors - with thumb nail shots of their heads in the areas talking about that color or coat pattern.

Pony Coat Colors

and here is a pic showing all 8 of our Jr Mares - 7 are silver blacks but different and 1 is silver bay. The one who looks cream is not a creame - she is a full sister to Flashi above and is homozygous for black BUT we haven't had her tested for silver yet. She could be homozgyous for silver, which I hypothesize makes her lighter (like our two mares - Bell and Bit).

15jul31mix0757.jpg

That baby pic looks so much like our "Rio" - born in 2013 - that it's almost "scarey"!!

13apr17sColt303.jpg

and recent pics -

15dec25rio122217.jpg

16mar18rio101639.jpg

OK, I'm awake again. I think some have "dubbed" me the picture queen.

Here is a bunch of silver babies at birth and then a bit later - showing families... I can load 6 pics at a time.

Stuffy first - as a foal herself and then later with her foals. Only have 2 sets of pics of her first colt - bred for and born while she was out on her first family lease.

Stuffy when she was born in 1996.. Scanned pic from a Polaroid picture.

Stuffy96May20Patty20May96.jpg

Stuffy with her first colt, sired by a solid bay stallion. "Scoobey" didn't get the bay gene and is a silver black.

StuffyColt20May01.jpg

Stuffy and "Scooby" in October 2001. Stuffy got really sick while pregnant with him. Went septic, almost died, on drugs for a long time. Didn't lose her colt (big SURPRISE, actually. We expected her to), but her mane and tail later changed to an odd red color and remained that way for a couple of years. Back to it's "normal" flaxen coloration now. I have two different albums of pics of Stuffy.

Stuffy01ScoobeyA.jpg

Stuffy with "Cupid" - 17 Feb 2010

10Feb17cup776.jpg

Stuffy with "Wyndy" - 28 February 2011

11feb28wyn457.jpg

Stuffy with "Rio" - 19 April 2013. He is 2 days old here - I'd already posted one pic of him on another post for you.

13apr19rio433.jpg

Stuffy herself is homozygous for black and all 3 of her foals by our stallion "Iggy" are as well. However, Cupid and Rio are both geldings and Wyndy is deceased.

Here is KoKo. She's heterozygous for black (carries a black gene and a red gene), no agouti (no bay or brown genes) and is solid (no white). She is getting ready to foal now - we'll see what color foal we get! Will be a tobiano pinto.

Here she is at about 4 months of age - 22 September 2009, right after arriving at our house and getting her first bath and getting de-burred. Her mane and tail aren't this "light" anymore - though I sure wish it was. WHAT A CONTRAST as a baby!!

09sep22ke614.jpg

The colt behind her here is a silver buckskin (looks like a palomino but is not! He is color tested). They are related - but not directly sister/brother.

09oct17ko967.jpg

After body clipping in 2010 - legs not finished yet. Didn't get another "good" pic of her then...

10apr10ko684.jpg

13jan28ko638.jpg

Shed out and sun bleached

15jul29ko193248.jpg

Most recent pic. Will be getting more this weekend - to compare preggo shots.

16feb26ko125419.jpg

This is Koalah - I don't have pics of her as a foal, just as a younger, but mature mare. She is homozygous for black, no agouti (bay or brown), single silver gene, single tobiano gene. She is a shetland mare that has been ridden, done pony rides, drives single, pair and 3 abreast.

She has had a silver smokey black colt for us - heterozygous black (1 blk/1 red gene), 1 silver gene, 1 cream gene (she was pregnant when we purchased her - palomino stallion); 3 silver tobiano fillies (girls) by "Iggy" - all are homozygous black, 1 is single tobi, single silver, 2nd not yet tested, 3rd - not tested but suspect, due to how light of a silver she is, that she is homozygous for silver (1 silver gene from each parent); and 1 bay tobiano filly by "Wizard" - not color tested before she passed at 4 months of age but didn't have the silver gene & 1 bay gene from her sire. Koalah previously produced a silver black tobiano colt by a chestnut tobiano stallion, a silver bay tobiano filly by a bay tobiano stallion and a black tobiano colt by a black tobiano stallion. Pics of these can be seen on her page on our website. Koalah is 18 yrs old this year.

This pic is huge, sorry!! This Koalah and Ranger - 4 May 2010. He is 4 days old.

10may4rangk243.jpg

Koalah with Flashi - B-day, 11 April 2011.

11apr11kfilly786.jpg

Koalah and Shamrock - B-Day - 13 March 2012. I was in Iowa when Shamrock was born, she is at least 12 hours old in this pic that was sent to me via phone. Koalah had been trace clipped as she was working in harness that winter of 2011/early 2012 and Shamrock went to LOTS of driving events with Koalah in 2012 - trotting along beside her while Koalah was driven...

12Mar13sha45.jpg

Shamrock is 6 weeks old in this photo. Her 2nd driving event.

12apr21ncwhma56_2.jpg

2 April 2013 - with Bunny. I suspect that Bunny may be homozygous for silver... She lightens to almost "white" now in her middle summer AND her winter coat, but she is homozygous for black color.

13apr02kfilly073.jpg

Pic of the two full sisters - Shamrock and Bunny. Yes, both named for spring Holidays.

13apr15bu283.jpg

So - tired of all the "silver" pics??

I really hope for a healthy baby & Mama...then I really hope she has a girl. I don't want to think about them breeding & I don't know if horses are sneakey like dogs can be. If it is a Colt how soon can they be fixed? The thought of this being in my hands makes me really nervous. The lady I bought her from said tonight to call her anytime during her foaling & hopefully someone will be on here when it starts. Should I have a bottle and milk on hand in case she won't feed it? Not sure how long the foal can go with out eating & all stores may be closed.
"Sneaky"???
default_whistling.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_shocked.gif
This marks my 20th year of foaling out Shetland mares (I don't have any smaller, under 36", minis). I have slept in the stall, kept a cooler with water & soda in the stall while keeping a coffee pot hooked up outside the stall, used the stall itself as a "potty"; worked in close proximity to a paddock during the day when a foal expected and STILL managed to miss ALL of our Shetland mares foaling (though right there w/i minutes of a lot of them!! Both at night and during the day)...

I have been there for the births of MANY other breeds of horses - often owned by other folks. I've been there for many of the 1/2 shetland pony babies we've bred over the years (mares weren't shetlands). But never for one of my Shetlands. YES, I say SNEAKY!!
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

Castration or gelding - I've known of vets to geld a colt at birth (Arabians and QHs - all foundation stock/preservation breeders). It's not a common practice, though. In the mid-west, I know of many folks that have had their colts born in the spring and then take them as geldings to Shetland Pony Congress in the fall - so yep, they are done early.

The earliest we've done one is 2 months (& my vet was not happy with me) and the one last week was 9 months. The mature stallion we are getting ready to do is 5 yrs old this year. Age depends on your vet and whether the testicles are both descended. Age doesn't affect the price other than use of less or more drugs if your vet charges separately for that.

If you join us over on the Foaling, Marestare forum - many of your other ?s can be answered.

There are vets that do carry Colostrum and can/will come out in the wee hours if needed. I have donated Colostrum to my vet(s) and one year, used some of it for a later foal the same year. With all the foals we've bred/raised, I've only had two that had issues. Both were treated via blood transfusions (one also got tubed w/ colostrum, while the other the mare was milked out and baby fed via bottle and bucket) - they were full siblings and the mare was known to have issues after the 1st foal and the 2 subsequent foals were watched for.

IF you are still uncomfortable with foaling your mare out yourself after reading books, watching videos and reading the forum "stickies" about foaling & mare/foal care - check into having her foaled out somewhere else. A lot of vet clinics/hospitals would do so, a Vet school might or a large breeding facility/farm. You need to check around. Sometimes the peace of mind is worth every penny that it costs (have no idea what this would cost now and different facilities charge very differently depending on the services needed).

Mare's milk replacer is EXPENSIVE and if not used, could be a total waste of $$. Since you don't have other babies coming and currently don't think you will ever breed again (hmmm - minis & ponies r like 'tater chips, can't have just one!!), I wouldn't go that route. But that is ME. I think you can now get Mare's Milk replacer in more than one brand and in smaller containers, so maybe it would work for you. Also, realize that many companies that carry these products have OVERNIGHT shipping and you should get it in plenty of time - if needed.

If the lady you purchased your mare from said she had no previous problems, I honestly think you can educate yourself to foaling her out and be prepared... You and she will do FINE!! So take a deep breath and relax a bit. A glass of wine might help, too!

Thanks for posting all the beautiful pictures & education on coat stages. I can't believe I just saw the replies.

Paula, thank you. My husband said if she did fine last time it should be fine this time as well. I have never seen him around a horse....so, I don't know when he is telling me something to put me at ease.

The foal picture you posted is technically Silver Black pinto......also called a dapple gray pinto.

As for the foal and milk.......It's important that the foal is nursing within 6 hours of birth...... within 3 hours is best. We have had to

milk the mare and syringe the colostrum to the foal, a strong and healthy foal will eventually find mom's teat. And yes, it can be

a test on patience waiting and watching for the foal to "latch on".

Ask your vet if he/she has a source of emergency colostrum.....just in case......It's rare to need it, but it's good to know if it's available.

Latest posts

Back