Thinking ahead, re-introducing Holly to grass???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Holly's been off grass now in dry lot for months now.

I don't plan on having her grass founder when she and the baby are ready to go outside.

So I am just assuming that I have to re-introduce her very slowly again to the grass. Like just a few minutes a day at first and then build her back up to it? My grass is still very lush and rich.

And then back into the dry lot with baby the rest of the time?

How do you guys do it please?

What about after care after she foals? I know to lay out the placenta and check to see it's all been expelled. Done that one before. Banamine, but how much and how soon after delivery?

Anything else besides scrunchies?

Correct with the grass, re-introduce slowly. But, if you plan to re-breed her this year I would keep her off until that is done and new "fetus" confirmed and settled about 60 days. The fescue thing.

Banamine...1cc per 100#. Now, not all mares need it. I does help with cramping and with swelling but, if an easy delivery and no signs of discomfort, no real need. IMO. I keep it always and use depending on mare. Oh, you know to give it orally, right?

So -- maybe you and I are only ones STILL waiting for a foal?
laugh.gif
I just know that my mare cannot make it but so long until she will burst (no milk yet!). At least I do have one just a few weeks old to play with
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty, Don't forget to do the deworming within 12hours after foaling as part of the aftercare needed! Good luck with that baby...they sure are a lot of fun. Mary

Marty said:
Holly's been off grass now in dry lot for months now.
I don't plan on having her grass founder when she and the baby are ready to go outside.

So I am just assuming that I have to re-introduce her very slowly again to the grass. Like just a few minutes a day at first and then build her back up to it? My grass is still very lush and rich.

And then back into the dry lot with baby the rest of the time?

How do you guys do it please?

What about after care after she foals? I know to lay out the placenta and check to see it's all been expelled. Done that one before.  Banamine, but how much and how soon after delivery?

Anything else besides scrunchies?

443785[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back