Thinking about switching to whole oats VS Omelene 200?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have decided NOT to do it before Nationals and I did bump my horses grain back up to the amounts I was feeding them (for my yearlings) before and lowered the beet pulp, cause they are growing. I just took them off the pasture sooner. I have no dry lot here and they can't sit in a barn stall all day I feel as they do play out in the pasture and move around and run, in a stall all day they'd just lay around and get fat. Well, EVER SINCE I have put them on the "new" Purina they have gotten fat. I didn't have trouble with the "OLD" Omelene 200 before. Their weight was fine. It's just ever since they've added they're whatever it is to it. I was NOT happy when they did that. However, it's NOT like I have a lot of choices here in toolyville. Trouble is here where I live they tend to ADD CORN to everything and I avoid it. So I'll probably switch to oats when I get home and put them "all" on a good supplement. I want to thank you all for such a wonderful thread I have learned a great deal and I want to thank you for all your valuable input and sharing I sincerely appreciate it.
default_smile.png
TJ
I'm not positive, but I think it was beet pulp they added to the Omolene line. So perhaps it is too much beet pulp, if you are feeding beet pulp in addition to the new Omolene. Just a thought.

I have had my horses on Omelene 200 for a little over a year now and it does ok but as you know it's got a lot of molasses in it and they have changed they're forumla, which is fine I don't have a problem w/ that but my horses are gaining weight and it could be because of the summer pasture too. However, I had been thinking about putting them on whole oats and taking them off the molasses feed and feeding them something more natural. Any input? I mentioned it to my stepdaughter who has biggy's and she said her advice was to make sure I supplemented them w/ vitamins and minerals cause the Omelene comes w/ that and the oats doesn't. Any input would be appreciated.
Also, should I wait till I get back from Nationals to change my feeding program? I'd hate to switch and have a disaster,,,,,, OR do I have enough time between now and then to make the change. I have 2 1/2 bags of Omelene left and I go through those in about 3 weeks. Thanks, TJ

I have had my horses on Omelene 200 for a little over a year now and it does ok but as you know it's got a lot of molasses in it and they have changed they're forumla, which is fine I don't have a problem w/ that but my horses are gaining weight and it could be because of the summer pasture too. However, I had been thinking about putting them on whole oats and taking them off the molasses feed and feeding them something more natural. Any input? I mentioned it to my stepdaughter who has biggy's and she said her advice was to make sure I supplemented them w/ vitamins and minerals cause the Omelene comes w/ that and the oats doesn't. Any input would be appreciated.
Also, should I wait till I get back from Nationals to change my feeding program? I'd hate to switch and have a disaster,,,,,, OR do I have enough time between now and then to make the change. I have 2 1/2 bags of Omelene left and I go through those in about 3 weeks. Thanks, TJ

I feed my minis whole oats & started a few yrs ago when my foal coliced 3 times on a pelleted feed. My vet suggested the oats & he never coliced again. Mine have great fertilized pasture, which I have to limit because they stay fat on it. I think you should go by the horses weight. If they do well on the oats & have decent hay &/or pasture, why not feed oats. I think it doesnt take much to keep a mini.

Latest posts

Back