They say it comes it threes...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
RIP Hunt House Farms Chantilly Lace aka Lexi

Lexi4.jpg

Please don't ask about details as honestly we don't know what happened
default_no.gif
.. Necropsy is being done but won't know those results for a week or more.. And it all just happened out of no where, she was fine and then in just a few short hours she was ill, we're all still in shock.. My heart can't take much more
default_crybaby.gif
default_bye-sad.gif
I feel so lost and confused..
default_sad.png

If anyone has any suggestions for her little guy Phoenix please email me or leave them here.. He's a week shy of 3 months, eating grain/hay and drinking water fine, but do we need to/should we add a milk based product (dry milk replacer?) to his diet as well? Vets said he would be fine as long as he keeps eating well and they actually recommended weaning at 3 months instead of typical 4-5 months..

Oh My! I am so so sorry
default_no.gif
Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers

Oh no, what a horrible shock for you and baby Phoenix!
default_sad.png
Lexi was a beautiful mare.

I am so very sorry and wish there was a way I could help with suggestions for foal feeding but I'm new at that. You will be in my thoughts, and please post how Phoenix is doing when you can.

Oh no, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I think your colt will do just fine, due to his current age and the fact that he is eating and drinking so well. Keep him in with the herd so he feels more comfortable, rather than pulling him away from them too.

I would add a foal-Lac type pellet to his feed. I am so sorry to hear about your girl,

Carolyn

I am sorry for your loss. Best wishes to your foal & bless you all!

Oh no, I am SO sorry!
default_no.gif

If the colt is already eating a youth-type feed (like Purina Equine Junior or Omolene 300) then he should be fine. Those type feeds have all the vitamins and minerals that he will need.

You really have had a streak of bad luck, I sure hope that's all OVER. Again, my condolences on your loss.

[SIZE=12pt]oh my, Christina.
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

so sorry for your loss,

Rest in peace Lexi,

you were a gorgeous girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christina..I am sooo very sorry for the loss of your little mare and the heartache that goes with it...time will ease the pain, and maybe the necropsy will reveal some answers.

Sending you a big...((((((hug))))))...

I am SO sorry!

I would do as Mona suggested if possible and keep him with his 'friends'. Here I add a little milk based feed to all my weaners. In nature they would be on a milk diet for a year or so....I just try to duplicate that as best I can.

Hugs

Charlotte

I am so so sorry. I lost a mare in the same way to endotoxemia a few years ago, and it's still hard for me to think about. I agree with the others that recommended a milk-based feed--the sudden weaning could be stressful for your colt, so he could probably use all he can get. My heart goes out to you.

default_no.gif
No, no, no. I'm so sorry for you and little baby Phoenix. I agree a little pelleted milk replacer and/or a pellet specifically for a weanling will help. Give him lots of attention. He will be a bit depressed for a while. And keeping as much else as normal for his as possible will help him. Familiar surroundings, horses, etc. will help.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
default_pray.gif
default_bye-sad.gif
By beautiful soul.

Cristina,

I also am so very very sorry.
default_sad.png

Susan O.

Very sorry abut your loss. She looked like a real sweetie!

I think the baby is old enough to be okay on his own so that's a blessing.....

Latest posts

Back