The saving of 3 precious lives tonight...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoops I forgot to add they're now eating hard cat food again and with a little help will drink some water! Their noses are all snotted over so I have to wipe their noses often and sometimes they can't tell where the water is and they dunk their whole nose in the water and end up going into a sneezing fit...poor babies!!

Our house cat, just spayed a couple weeks ago, was the runt of the litter and her mom basically quit taking care of her. We brought her in the house and for nearly the first week she dunked her whole nose in the water dish before she'd drink and then have sneezing fits from the water. She did get over it and quit dunking her whole nose. She came into the house at about 8-10 oz in weight and eight months later is nearly 6 pounds. (she packed on a pound after her spay surgery, but she is still a very active cat, mostly at night.
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: ).

Well I have bad news...the white kitten isn't faring so well today. Yesterday all three were eating and I saw the grey and orange one drink, but not the white one...concerned me a little but he was so perky it wasn't the end of the world. He was up a few times in the night meowing looking for me, but still perky. This morning he seemed very tired, always wanted to sleep, so I let him sleep and played with the other two on their brief 5 minute awake sessions....then from about 9am on for this whole day the white kitten has been sleeping...sleeping...sleeping....his little tummy barely moving once in a while to show me he is still breathing...I picked him up around 2pm to clean his eyes again and he was completely listless, just rolls around in my hand...opened his eyes...meowed and can barely hold himself up to crawl around a little before flopping down and passing out cold. Just a little bit ago he pooped right where he was laying and then just stayed laying on it...someone suggested kitten formula and a baby bottle, anyone have any other ideas?

Also any idea's on how to clear up their stuffy noses???

Last edited by a moderator:
Havent you been feeding them kitten milk at all?

:new_shocked: My old man cat snots a lot I give him Ginko drops for his allergies. But what you are dealing with sounds like Pneuminitis. Chances are some of them won't make it but, if you can keep them eating and drinking they may stand a chance. Very hard to treat you're doing what you can for them.

Sounds like they need to be on antibiotics if they aren't already - Baytril maybe, Clavamox, nose drops. Good luck!

Barbie

Yes they've been on kitten milk, the orange and black one have been doing wonderful and today I see their eyes are open more and they're sniffing everything in sight so their noses are finally starting to clear! My mom just suggested clavomox to me yesterday but I can't get to the vet until Monday.

Sad news though...yesterday morning I got everyone ready to bring to work and the little white one wasn't as perky as usual, he was up a few times in the night and I checked on him to see a pair of bright eyes peering back at me, but in the morning he just seemed so tired and just wanted to sleep. I figured I would just let him get some rest, cleaned his eyes around 9am and he was still wanting to curl up and sleep. Took him out again around 2pm and he was so weak his head was bobbling around...he was still able to hold himself up if he wanted but otherwise he was just a limp little thing, seemed so tired...he ate a few gulps of kitten formula but kept getting worse...by the evening he lost control of mobility, all he could do was flail his arms around and twist over in circles and meow...it was so heart wrenching =( This was the strongest of the three, the first to wake up, the first to eat, the first to drink, and definitely the one always sending a healthy poop my way lol...*sigh*...around 10pm I took him to the emergency referral center...he was so weak and limp...he was barely breathing...eyes closed...I opened his good eye and he immediately looked at me...oh my god that was so heartbreaking...the vet put him on an IV to see if he would respond, to see if maybe he was just dehydrated or what...but after a while she came out and said he wasn't responding...it was going to take $500 of intensive care to *maybe* bring him around, there was no guarantee because he was so far depressed already...*sigh*...I asked her to please let him sleep...let him go...I couldn't bare to watch him suffer. He is gone now...for a barn cat, I really miss him!! I just don't know how a perky kitten could become so depleted in 24 hours...the vet said it looked like a secondary issue was going on inside and only testing would tell what it was but I don't have the money to have had put him in intensive care and payed for tests...

The other two kittens are doing wonderful, they're eating solid cat food between their kitten formula and they're drinking water. They both always want to come out to play now and definitely love human attention =) I think these two are going to make it through, and I am darned proud of what I have accomplished to even have brought two of these kittens back to living a healthy life!

Thank you everyone for your help and support, i'll send another update soon!

Just wanted to give one final update -

Yesterday (Tuesday) the two remaining kittens were taken back to the barn, they were healthy, wide eyed, playful little squirts and I was happy to see them returning home!! Unfortunately for me, they were both so attached to me they didn't want to go! I got to the hay pile and saw two sets of kitten eyes peering out at me behind a bale and I sent my two kittens on their way towards the last 2 remaining kittens (now only 4 out of 8 kittens are left). The little grey one, adventurous as ever went bounding off to go play with the two kittens in the hay pile but the orange one sat on the edge of the bales and cried for me! I went off to do my chores and came back to see the little orange one had dived off the bales of hay (stacked 4 high) and as soon as he saw me he came scampering straight for me! I felt horrible and wondered if he was going to stay the night or try crawling off to find me...

I sat with them until momma cat came by and as soon as they saw her they went bounding over to her and were smothered with welcoming licks, meows and purrs...I knew then that everything would be ok =)

Wednesday morning rolled around and my step mom said the little black (grey) kitten had followed her all the way back to the house and unfortunatley, she didn't see the orange kitten anywhere...

I just hope they will all be ok!

Thanks for the update, have been wondering how they have been faring.

Glad you could rescue them!

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back