The Medical Ordeals of JFK

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
The topic titled "Why not realease his mediocal records?, Obama that is" prompted me to start this thread.

I have no idea just how long it has been since the voting public has started to show an interest in a presidential candidates medical history but let me tell you why I think it should be of interest to the voting public.

The following is a quote from the December 2002 issue of the Atlantic titled "The Medical Ordeals of JFK."

"Kennedy's charismatic appeal rested heavily on the image of youthful energy and good health he projected. This image was a myth. The real story, disconcerting though it would have been to contemplate at the time, is actually more heroic. It is a story of iron-willed fortitude in mastering the diffi-culties of chronic illness."

For those that were around when JFK won the election to be President you would remember that he won by a slim margin over Nixon. It makes one wonder if he would have been able to beat Nixon had his medical records not been so secretive.

To read the full article see. The Medical ordeals of JFK from the December 2002 issue of the Atlantic

Sorry this is a long article, it runs six pages, but well worth the reading. I guess one thing that concerns me is that if a candidate is not truthful about such a simple well documented thing as their medical records what else will they not be truthfull or secretive about.

For those that don't make it to the end of the sixth page I will quote the last paragragh.

"Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy before the President's medical ailments could. But the evidence suggests that Kennedy's physical condition contributed to his demise. On November 22, 1963, Kennedy was, as always, wearing a corsetlike back brace as he rode through Dallas. Oswald's first bullet struck him in the back of the neck. Were it not for the back brace, which held him erect, the second, fatal shot to the head might not have found its mark."

For those that made it to the sixth page, I am sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am flip-flopping. Maybe we do need to see everyones records. btw My first election I voted for JFK. So I used to be a democrat, but as my life went on my ideals changed.

But, yes maybe we do need to see records of health just to be sure nothing serious.

Thanks Neil.

Glad I'm not the only one, Lowrise!

While we're on the topic of health...

2757579536_496aa574e1.jpg

McCain sure looks healthy.

Bonnie JFK was my first vote too. Had a bet with my step dad cause he said a Catholic would never be elected. Had to do my share to prove him wrong. LOL

As far as FDR is concerned, if I remember correctly, his physical condition was fairly obvious.

From Wikipedia:

"At the time, Roosevelt was able to convince many people that he was in fact getting better, which he believed was essential if he was to run for public office again. Fitting his hips and legs with iron braces, he laboriously taught himself to walk a short distance by swiveling his torso while supporting himself with a cane. In private, he used a wheelchair, but he was careful never to be seen in it in public. He usually appeared in public standing upright, supported on one side by an aide or one of his sons."

It may have been obvious, but if I remember right the public at large didn't realize that he was practically paralyzed and spent most of his time in a wheelchair. And yes, FDR did eventually die in office, but only after being re-elected for his FOURTH term.

Bonnie JFK was my first vote too. Had a bet with my step dad cause he said a Catholic would never be elected. Had to do my share to prove him wrong. LOL
SSSSSHHHHHHHHHH Donna, don't tell anyone but I think if I remember right that I voted for JFK because I thought he was cute.
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png
I have learned SOOOOOOOOOOOO much in the last 48 years. You are the only one I ever told this to so don't repeat it. Okay?
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Sorry, I couldn't find a shot of him wearing them under a tux for advertisement.
default_wink.png

FDR is a very good example...

Had the voters known his true medical history, they would likely have doubted his ability to serve as president. I hate to think where this country would have been without him (although the RRRs like to use the "S" word when discussing him).

Abraham Lincoln's health made him a walking time bomb, and it has been speculated that he wouldn't have survived his term in office had he not been assassinated. What if the public had had full access to his medical records? What if we had not had his wisdom and courage as president in such a terrible time?

McCain's medical profile might be appalling, considering his history as a POW, but I wouldn't say that that in itself would affect his ability to serve.

I am satisfied with a doctor's statement that the candidate (either one) is in good health. Would we as laypeople really gain that much meaningful information from full disclosure, or would it simply be cause for endless, assinine conjecture?

I am satisfied with a doctor's statement that the candidate (either one) is in good health. Would we as laypeople really gain that much meaningful information from full disclosure, or would it simply be cause for endless, assinine conjecture?
I expect it would be more of the last example.... but then the bloggers are engaging in a lot of that already...
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back