That time of year,,,,,,Black Nightshade, poison

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
It is the time of year Nightshade is blooming. Saw some across the fence over the weekend and it ALL came back.

We had 5 mares get into it,,,,,,,,hit them hard. First mare diagnosed with WN due to neorological signs. We got lucky, they all recovered. But it needs to be taken care of fast, within first 48 hours, actually first 6 would be best. What a nightmare. Our nightshade is now gone, we pulled them to get rid of them. But, we walk the pasture extra careful this time of year. Too many people only do it in the spring,,,,,,,,,fall is just as important.

These mares had 2 full acres of lush grass, so it's not like it was the only thing for them to eat.

Leaves are not as poisoness, but the berries can be deadly.

Black Nightshade can grow heavy next to soybean fields. They usually have white blooms, sometimes purple depending on region, then go to green berries, then mature almost black.

Here is an early stage plant.

3947lg.jpg

Clinical signs: the symptoms observed in a given case will depend on the balance of the irritant effect of the intact glycoalkaloid vs. the nervous system signs caused by the aglycone. GI signs include anorexia, nausea, salivation, abdominal pain, emesis, constipation or diarrhea (with or without blood). Nervous system signs include apathy, drowsiness, progressive weakness/paralysis, prostration and unconsciousness. Nervous signs build to a maximum followed by death or recovery within 1 to 2 days.

Mature plant photo

Solanum_nigrum_02_black%20nightshade.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolyn I was only thinking of you the other day when I found some with big black berries on it in the corner of a field!!!

We've been checking our pastures, also, because we found some plants a a corner of one of our shaded pastures. We spray in the spring and rotate the pastures, but one has got to be really vigilant, this stuff comes back!

Thanks for the heads-up. :saludando: :saludando:

Thanks for the reminder, those are great pictures of the weed!

For all Wisconsin folk FYI we do find this weed in our pasture once in a while...

Thanks Carolyn for the very clear pictures of it, and Thank you Gena for reminding Wisconsin people that we do find it in our pastures occassionally, especially since we do seem to be seeing more and more soybean fields in Wisconsin,and it does like to grow alongside of the soybeans. Corinne

Thanks for the reminder, and for the good clear pictures. Our neighbors right across the drive lost two big horses to it early this year - one a Percheron.

Jan

I try to remind at this time of year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is one nasty weed,,,,,,,and I would hate for anyone to have to go through what we went through.

We actually stood and watched 2 mares get worst by the minute, could see the changes in them as they happened. Those 2 were severe, not far from death,,,,,vet and others were begging me to put them down. We made one last effort that worked and am more than happy I tried one more time.

Just in case,,,,,,,,,,,,you should have Charcoal Suspension at all times. Not just for nightshade, for a number of poisons. A case of the stuff saved our girls. They all had a complete recovery.
default_yes.gif
:

I went out and walked the pastures right after I read this post earlier today. No nightshade, but I'm STILL finding tons of those white mushrooms that I know are poisonous. We don't dare let any of the horses out in the morning until we've gone all over the pastures and picked them. The next morning, they're back!

These pastures are in full sunlight, and we have never ever had mushrooms in them before. We are at a loss as to why they are there now, but I'm heard from a lot of other people in my vicinity that they have them in their pastures, too. I think it's because we have had SO MUCH rain! Everything is still as green as it was in June!

Thanks for posting this, and all the pictures. Sure glad your horses all made it.

I do have a question, the picture of it with the round balls like, I have seen some

in hay we have bought, but the balls were yellow. I pick through the hay, and take

out anything that is not hay. Do you have any ideals what they were. I did not let the

horses have them. I removed them. I only found them a couple of times. The hay

guy most of the time brings pretty good hay, but right now he is buying it from all

over, and that is scary.

Vicky

Vicky- I was going to ask the same thing. We have found it in our hay as well. I would like to know what that is.

Kim

Without seeing it, I could not say for sure what it is.

I do know nightshade,,,,,,,,,,when berries are dying off, been tore off the vine before they turn black, will turn a yellow/green before dying out.

If you read much about poison weeds and equine,,,,,,,,,,,if it has a berry form at all,,,,,,,it is just safer to not feed. Berry form of whatever is the most toxic part of plant,,,,,,,in most cases.

But again, I can't say for sure what yours is.

If in hay, there should not be many, as nightshade will grow mostly along fence line, in corners, so not many should appear in hay itself.

Frankie

Thanks, they sure look like the berries in the pictures, only these are yellow. I do always

look through the hay, and I do remove them. Sure glad now. I was thinking the samething

that they could have fallen onto the ground and then pick up. No matter what they are I have

and will continue to check the hay and pull them out. I try to make sure nothing is in the hay,

like stickers. Ouch...

Thank you again for posting this.
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Vicky

WOW thanks for that photo Laura, I've got that in our front field! Have had it there for years but never have had problems. We'll be moving soon so I'm not to worried about it since they won't be going out on that field. I will be checking our new pastures for that stuff.

Does this "nightshade" have sticker all over it? Sure looks like what I have some of in my hay and also some in the pasture but the horses never seem to bother with it as its loaded with stickers and we always have just called it sticker weeds here in Okie.

Clara

Walter, in my experience nightshade does not have stickers on the stem.You could have a different variety though. You might want to take a sample from your hay to your county extension service and have them check out what you have there.

Frankie....thanks for posting this.....I remember when you went through this on the forum. Good reminder for everyone.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back