Test strips for PH and calcium

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhpminis

Reaction score
Otis Orchards, Washington (just east of Spokane)
I have never used pool strips or any other kind of test strips. I always just look at what i get out of the mare. It will start clear and runny, get stickier, start to turn yellowish then to the consistency of honey and then right before they foal it will start to turn opaque, a little cloudy at first until it looks like skim milk. This method has worked for me for years.

My question is this. What turns the milk white? Calcium correct? So if you can see it, why use test strips? I realize that I cannot see PH level. Is there really an advantage to using test strips, do you really see anything more than you do with visual checks.

Annette, I've noticed that some mare's milk don't change color every time, so the tests are helpful with that. The PH test seems to be more sensitive than the Calcium one, so we watch the PH very closely. I would do what ever works best for YOU.

Yes, I too, like the extra added bonus of using test strips. Some of my mares aren't textbook, and let's face it, sometimes, I just miss a step because they can progress so quickly. Sometimes the ph will change before the color of the milk changes, so it gives you a little "heads up" so to speak. I think the ph is more sensitive than the Ca, but they are both important. On my first year of breeding, I only used the Ca. Next year, I started using the Ph also, and found the combination to be much more accurate. I think using your eyes is important, but I also use the strips and my foal alert alarm system. For me, every bit helps
default_biggrin.png

Lori

Annette when I first foaled out mares I used the pool strips. I have to say they were very helpful. But now I dont bother as I feel like just feeling the bag and looking at the milk is as good of a predictor. But I think its very useful for people with little experience foaling out mares. Or people who just like the added security of testing it.

I know it sounds silly but for me the biggest predictor of imminent foaling is the heat in the bag. Hot bag as always meant foaling within 3-6 hrs here. And im lucky that I have a couple mares who will wax during the day of the night they are going to foal. That helps alot
default_smile.png

I agree with Kay. I've foaled out so many mares over the years, that I can 'usually' tell when they are ready to foal by the fullness - firmness of the bag and the milk. I go by feel on both. A hard, tight bag with thick, sticky milk means that mare is ready to foal and should not be left unattended!
default_smile.png

Back