Tenn/ Kentucky Residents - insight needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundancer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

I dont post much but I do read alot of the topics. I find them so valuable on so many different levels.

I am hoping for a little help from the Kentucky/Tennesee people here. My husband and I are finishing up the last of our house "projects" so we can place our home on the market. We are looking to relocate to the Kentucky/Tennesee area. My son lives in Bowling Green KY and we have been down many times visiting and love the state. We did venture over to Tennesee and loved that too!! What we are looking for is an area that is fairly rural but not so far away from hospitals (hubby has had a heart attack that was nearly fatal), stores etc. I have three minis of my own, that my daughter and I show. She has 3 also, but I am not sure if she will be coming down with us. SO I would love to find an area where getting hay isnt too much of a problem, room for the minis, friendly town, low crime (asking for a lot arent I? LOL)

I dont want to contact a real estate broker in KY or TN until I know our home is on the market up here in Maine. Not knowing the counties - flooding areas etc, I was hoping thats where fellow forum members could help us out. I would appreciate any information you can share.

Thanks

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Actually my favorite location in Tennessee is Coffee County and surrounding towns of Manchester, Winchester, Belvedere, that whole area which is always been where I'd love to really be. It would fit your criteria easily. This entire state is rural so you'd have no problems locating hay unless of course in drought.

Most of our relatives are in the Lexington Kentucky area. Love it so much there too. Again, its rural all over the place and caters to horses so that's horse heaven on earth.

If you want a move in ready place with barns etc. my place will be for sale sometime this year but its very rural. Problem is, its my little piece of heaven and I don't want to leave. I will be drug out of here kicking and screaming more than likely.

Hello Everyone-

I dont post much but I do read alot of the topics. I find them so valuable on so many different levels.

I am hoping for a little help from the Kentucky/Tennesee people here. My husband and I are finishing up the last of our house "projects" so we can place our home on the market. We are looking to relocate to the Kentucky/Tennesee area. My son lives in Bowling Green KY and we have been down many times visiting and love the state. We did venture over to Tennesee and loved that too!! What we are looking for is an area that is fairly rural but not so far away from hospitals (hubby has had a heart attack that was nearly fatal), stores etc. I have three minis of my own, that my daughter and I show. She has 3 also, but I am not sure if she will be coming down with us. SO I would love to find an area where getting hay isnt too much of a problem, room for the minis, friendly town, low crime (asking for a lot arent I? LOL)

I dont want to contact a real estate broker in KY or TN until I know our home is on the market up here in Maine. Not knowing the counties - flooding areas etc, I was hoping thats where fellow forum members could help us out. I would appreciate any information you can share.

Thanks

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stable

Maine
Bowling Green is actually 2 hours away from me. I live in a tiny town called Atwood, Tn. As far as hay it can be challenge any where these days but not to hard to find. The price can be a little high at times. I think you will love it in this area. Good luck

I live in Glasgow, Ky. I am only 30 minutes away from Bowling Green. We moved here form Florida and like it here. If you have any specific questions just PM me I may be able to help
default_smile.png

Thank you for the information. It gives us a chance to do some research before we take a visit down this spring and look at these areas. We are looking forward to moving to nicer temperatures and climate.. When we get ready to take our vacation trip down I will let you guys know. Cant wait to get our last projects done so our home up here can go on the market!!! Thanks again

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

We moved to Kentucky from Texas two years ago. Best thing we have ever done. We bought 17 1/2 acres with the house and a small hay barn, then added the large barn in the picture for hubby's toys. People are fantastic! We've made lots of friends. We're in a rural neighborhood very close to beautiful Lake Malone State Park. There is a hospital nearby (in Greenville). Taxes are low. We have enough land to put our solar array (haven't had a utility bill since last March), we have enough pasture to house more than our four mini's and a mini donkey (hint, hint). We are 1 1/2 hours from Nashville and about an hour from Bowling Green. The house is on a paved road (a BIG plus as we have a 36 foot motor home). The pace of life is so much slower here. Takes 20 minutes at the bank to cash a check sometimes and there is only one other person in there, but they have to visit for a while. Heck, we don't mind, we're retired!!!!!!

Aerial825x600.jpg

If you are coming on a fact finding mission and need a place to stay, let me know. We have a spare bedroom. Our bed and breakfast price can't be beat.....it's free!!! Of course, you get what you pay for (I understand the service may not be four star).

We actually spent a week driving thru Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri looking at places when we had made the decision to retire and move. It was pretty depressing for a while. We saw lots of places. Some had fantastic land but the house was yucky and some it was just the opposite. This was the last house on our list. Frankly, I didn't have high hopes as I was concerned about living in a metal house (the fear of the unknown, you understand). Thank goodness we decided to go ahead and look at it. The land is just right and the house inside has nicer finishes than my house in Texas. I took one look at the kitchen and wanted the house without even looking at the other rooms. (It's THAT nice.) And it was a real bargain compared to land/house prices in Texas. And I had a laundry list of wants: three bedroom, two baths, paved road, single story, no stairs anywhere and no hallways, and I wanted a mixture of woods and pasture. We were so lucky to get everything on our list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dixie belle sounds like ya'll had a good plan with a good ending. We are sooooo counting down until we can move from Texas and although we are not sure to exactly where we think back to NW Arkansas where we spent our first year of marriage or just across the stateline from there into NE Oklahoma. We also think New Mexico, Idaho, Tennessee, or Kentucky my suit us. I would like to spend time in those places either renting or RVing until our minds are made up.

We moved to Kentucky from Texas two years ago. Best thing we have ever done. We bought 17 1/2 acres with the house and a small hay barn, then added the large barn in the picture for hubby's toys. People are fantastic! We've made lots of friends. We're in a rural neighborhood very close to beautiful Lake Malone State Park. There is a hospital nearby (in Greenville). Taxes are low. We have enough land to put our solar array (haven't had a utility bill since last March), we have enough pasture to house more than our four mini's and a mini donkey (hint, hint). We are 1 1/2 hours from Nashville and about an hour from Bowling Green. The house is on a paved road (a BIG plus as we have a 36 foot motor home). The pace of life is so much slower here. Takes 20 minutes at the bank to cash a check sometimes and there is only one other person in there, but they have to visit for a while. Heck, we don't mind, we're retired!!!!!!

View attachment 5606

If you are coming on a fact finding mission and need a place to stay, let me know. We have a spare bedroom. Our bed and breakfast price can't be beat.....it's free!!! Of course, you get what you pay for (I understand the service may not be four star).

We actually spent a week driving thru Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri looking at places when we had made the decision to retire and move. It was pretty depressing for a while. We saw lots of places. Some had fantastic land but the house was yucky and some it was just the opposite. This was the last house on our list. Frankly, I didn't have high hopes as I was concerned about living in a metal house (the fear of the unknown, you understand). Thank goodness we decided to go ahead and look at it. The land is just right and the house inside has nicer finishes than my house in Texas. I took one look at the kitchen and wanted the house without even looking at the other rooms. (It's THAT nice.) And it was a real bargain compared to land/house prices in Texas. And I had a laundry list of wants: three bedroom, two baths, paved road, single story, no stairs anywhere and no hallways, and I wanted a mixture of woods and pasture. We were so lucky to get everything on our list.

Just love your place. We live close to West Point KY in Bullitt County just love Kentucky. Hay is easy to get here and prices are usually very reasonable if know the right person I never pay more than $5 for good alfalfa grass hay.

I am in Columbia KY, about 1 1/2 east of Bowling Green. We moved here in 2004 from Maryland, and only wish we had done it sooner! Im not real familiar with far east or west Ky, but the south central area from around Bowling Green to Somerst, and up towards Lexington is very nice-rural, but not too far from things.

I live in Shelby County, which is the horse capital of the state. If you want to be near the top hospitals in the state and the region, its a great place to be. We can med flight to Louisville (UofL, Jewish, Norton, etc) in 20 min, after top notch care at our local branch of Jewish Hospital. Shelby County has some of the best EMS in the state as well. Land is cheaper towards Frankfort in the area of Bagdad. Easy access to the airport (30 min), KY Horse Park (45 min), great people, good property value as well. Farther west, towards Jefferson county/Louisville Metro, land skyrockets and an upper class mixes with us normals. Meaning, we get to enjoy their property and estates, and lack the snootiness! Great showgrounds in all the surrounding counties. Several world-class horse/livestock shows throughout the year, and near the airport we host the largest indoor state fair in the country, with some of the biggest horse shows hosted there as well. Can't throw a rock without hitting a vet. Have a local surgical hospital, as well as Rood and Riddle and Hagyard within an hour's drive. At least two dozen vets who service the county, most of which are phenomenal. Shelby County (specifically Simpsonville Fire Department) hosts one of two large animal rescue units in the state (Lexington has the other). Rumor had it we had an equine ambulance hosted at one of the local clinics as well. Hard to beat this area! Hay can be found for less than $3/bale, really nice alfalfa for less than $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. The posts are really making me anxious to get down there!! When we plan our "shopping" trip I will let everyone know! Would like to try and meet everyone. Thank you soooo much for the information. Its truly been helpful.

The horses will love the nicer weather all year round compared to the weather we have normally.

Thanks again

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

Latest posts

Back