Tell me about Kentucky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are so darn sick of this cold weather for 8 months out of the year we're thinking about moving to Kentucky or somewhere warmer. What is Kentucky like during the winter months? How much snow does it get? what are the pros and cons of living there? How is the job market? Is property pretty reasonable and what about taxes? Are the schools good? I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions but just looking for basic info for now. Oh one more question how's the fishing there? We are avid fishers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boyfriend and I are so darn sick of this cold weather for 8 months out of the year we're thinking about moving to Kentucky or somewhere warmer. What is Kentucky like during the winter months? How much snow does it get? what are the pros and cons of living there? How is the job market? Is property pretty reasonable and what about taxes? Are the schools good? I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions but just looking for basic info for now. Oh one more question how's the fishing there? We are avid fishers.
I know you have dogs so I would suggest you stay away from Louisville (Jefferson county) the recently passed pet ordinance is anti-dog, anti-breeder check it out carefully before even considering that area.

I live in Northern Kentucky. February was a rough month this year. It stayed cold and we had two weeks of nasty weather. The one week we had a ice storm which was awlful. We hit record lows in February but it was pretty unusal since the past few winters have been pretty mild. Spring and fall are great. Summer can be hot with it getting into the 90's. Snow falls normally are two or three inches to a dusting. They normally don't stay around too long.

The job market is probably as good as any where else in the U.S. Most people who live in Northern Kentucky work in Cincinnati, Oh. The communte can take up to 45 minutes to 1 hour living 20 to 30 miles away from Cincinnati.

Taxes will vary pretty much depending on where you live in Northern Kentucky. Most of the schools are pretty good. Of course, some are better than others.

I honestly don't have any idea about the fishing. My parents used to drag me fishing when I was young. I don't go now.

You can probably search on Alexandria, Ft. Thomas, Dayton, Newport, and California, Kentucky to get ideas of the different areas within Northern Kentucky.

I love living in Kentucky. You may want to check out Paris, Kentucky which is small town near Lexington. I have always thought it would be a great place to live.

Freida

You might check out Oklahoma. Pretty easy winters. Some areas have good jobs and lots of lakes to fish in.

Pam

I would absolutely LOVE to move to Ky...I've only been there once about 4 yrs ago, but the parts I saw are beautiful. We drove down from MI down to Lake Cumberland (way South in KY). Went into Lexington to visit a tower for possible jobs. It was so pretty. Fishing is awesome! We were on Lake Cumberland for almost a week (rented a houseboat). Then last fall my husband, his father, and uncle went on their yearly fishing trip (go somewhere different every year - they are big into fishing). They fished Lake Kentucky and had a great time. There are tons of lakes there and big ones...depending on the type of fishing you do...my husband is bass/pike/walleye guy and they caught tons of fish! Said they were going to go back in 2008 since they try to go somewhere different every year for a week.

When we were on the houseboat - we saw 76 falls and a bunch of other waterfalls on Lake Cumberland - it was awesome - that lake is over 100miles long.

As far as the climate...we were there during the end of summer and it was gorgeous. I don't think it gets too terribly hot in the summer, but I think it can get pretty dang humid at times, but I think a couple months of high humidity would be worth the trade for these long winters that we have in Michigan.

Central Kentuckian born and bred! It does get hot, very hot, in Ky. in the summer. Temps in high 90's and up to 100 with 100% humidity. End of July and August are the worst times. It can get cold in Ky. as well. Yes, it does snow there, and it can stay for several days. Ask the kids that missed as much as 8 days of school there this year. It is one of the most beautiful states you have ever seen, and in the central area everywhere you look you see the beautiful blue grass, board fencing, and horses. Most everything is kept cleaned and beautified. That's because we have so many visitors! We moved to Texas about 1 1/2 years ago, because we wanted warmer winters, but oh how I miss the green, and the beauty and grace of Ky.

Thank you all for your responces. We're doing our research on KY and a few other states it'll be at least a year before we move but we are definately moving somewhere that you can be comfortable outside more then 4 months out of the year. I just don't like winter never have and never will. Funny thing is I'm an avid skier but heck If I want to ski I'll travel.......

There is a ski slope in Indiana - Paoli Peaks I think is the name.. ... After Lee retired from the Air Force in 89 we move to Taylorsville just outside of Lousiville. Lots of lakes if you like fishing or water activities. There are lots of non horsey things to do in this area also....................Yes it gets hot & it gets cold here but it is all relative to what you are used to. We don't want to go further north because too cold & don't wnat to go south because it is too hot. We figured this is about right plus our grandkids are nearby......................... We are currently looking for another place to buy as our six acres here is slightly rolling & it hurts Lees back to ride the tractor to mow the pastures. Plus Lee needs more flat land to drive his shetlands on than we have here. We own 5 acres in Shelbyville that is flat but we have been told it is cheaper to buy existing than to build right now. If we find an existing farm that will work for us we will be selling our five acres in Shelbyville if you are interested. It is beautiful in the spring & summer in this area - love the four seasons..
default_yes.gif
: ..................... As for the Jefferson County dog ordinance - something needed to be done because of too many irresponsible dog owners. There were too many dogs that were causing big time problems & danger to other people. I don't know what they settled upon but you can find the info on line I'm sure. You know the saying , " a few bad apples".

I only have my two Boxers who are both fixed and I do occational foster work. My animals aren't allowed out unless we are home and will not leave our property so the dog ordinance doesn't scare me too much. People need to be responsible for their animals. I was looking on-line and can't believe how inexpensive real estate is in some areas over there. We're looking for something that has 20 acres or more. We have 17 acres now most of it hilly and wooded so not great for horses. I could probably convince Bry that we don't need that much land but it would depend on the layout as I need to have space for my boys. I have three big horses and will be adding another this spring for my daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back