TEETH PROBLEMS...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquestraDreams

Reaction score
I've got a 6 year old horse who seems to have teeth problems. She throws her head and turns it to the side while eating grain, knocks her bucket/tray around, stomps, etc. and even throws her head around while being lead or ground driven. She has had her teeth floated/dremeled by a competent vet who specializes in dental work once a year for 3 years now and it does not seem to help. Could this be anything other than teeth that is bothering her? Any ideas what I should have the vet check for other than hooks/sharp teeth. I'm having a tough time keeping weight on her and need help!

Still sounds like teeth problems to me too... something is surely bothering her! Any way you can get to a regular equine dentist in your area? We have had vets miss things on teeth in the past.... something is certainly wrong there.

I'd have someone else that also does dentistry work take a look.....getting a second opinion can't hurt but from reading your post I don't think she has a teeth problem. It sounds more like she needs a chiropractor. We have driving and performance horses and have them checked and adjusted if neccessary on a regular basis.

A common painful area that benefits from chiropractic care and things like equine massage are the area around the poll and the upper neck. If these areas are painful and stiff it would make sense for her to be crabby and tossing her head or turning it to one side especially when bending down to eat or trying to give to the bit and collecting while being driven. Think about how you feel when you have a stiff painful neck or back or have "kinks" in your neck. Stand just behind her front leg or shoulder with a treat and try to gently get her to bend her head to the side far enough to touch her shoulder. If one side or the other is stiff or painful she will back up instead of bending and will toss her head and fight it. Before I drive I do neck stretches. I gently pull the nose around to touching the shoulder or shaft of the cart and hold it there and rub and massage the opposite side of the neck. I do this several times on both sides and then will stand in front and stretch the nose/head way up and then down to the ground. I have one horse that if I forget to do this she will turn her head from side to side like she is trying to stretch on her own. If you don't have a chiropractor in your area get a book or two that covers equine massage and stretching techniques.

We use a good guy named Carl Mitz and he is great. He has the tools for mini's which most vets don't. I know he makes trips out to Kentucky etc. But am not sure if he comes to your part of the world. It sure sounds as if she is hooked up in the back teeth and needs an adjustment. Send me a private message and I will ask Carl for a refferal to someone in your area whereever you are.

:saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100%! You need to get a competent Equine Dentist who SPECIALIZES in Miniatures!
default_yes.gif
: Unbelievably...many Vets just don't understand the many tooth problems that plague our little guys & miss them. Even Horse Dentists, if they aren't familiar with Miniatures, miss a lot of their problems!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Carl Mitz is one of the best dentists out there who specializes in Minis.....but there are others, if you can't get Carl to your area anytime soon.

Carl comes here annually and I have never seen anyone that compares to him. Good thoughts about the chiropractic side too...

She has had her teeth floated/dremeled by a competent vet who specializes in dental work once a year for 3 years now and it does not seem to help.
My equine dentist does not recommended using the dremel or electric floats on horses of any size. It's too easy to go too far and/or burn them with the tool. She is quite good at what she does and I trust her judgement. Just a little food for thought.

check her ears........................just an off chance thing but she could have an ear issue.

Latest posts

Back