Tar and Sulfur shampoo??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I've googled it and nothing said to NOT use tar and sulfur shampoo on your horses. I use it on the dogs I'm grooming if they have really flakey skin and I love it. I know you can't use it on cats at all. I was wondering because I'd like to use it on my minis and saddle horses this spring for their once a year shampoo bath. They always seem so itchy and dry first thing in the spring time and it will also repel bugs for a while. Anyone ever used it or see any problems with this?

I have used it to wash a leg on a big horse with scratches -- loathed the stuff and wouldn't use it again if I didn't need to. It is not what I would choose to use for dry skin on a horse.

Is that pine tar? I have a salve that is wonderful stuff for wounds and other spots which contains pine tar. Pine tar is a very old remedy for farm and medicene. I don't see why that shampoo wouldn't be a good spring cleanser. I saw my farm store carried a shampoo with pine tar; I think I will check it out.

In my opinion not all shampoos are created equal. I have a brand that I love. Several brands I do not care for. Yes pine tar. Not coal tar. I think I'll try it out on the horses this summer. If I don't like it I can aways rebath them with an aloe shampoo.

Latest posts

Back