Sunburn (?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdegner

Reaction score
We have a 3 week old filly, dark palamino body and little white blanket/saddle shape across her shoulders and lower mane area who is losing her hair. The hair is only coming out in that spot and the skin is quite pink underneath. She is in the pasture 24/7 and there is shade available but I'm thinking it's sunburn? We've had white and/or pinto horses over the years and have never seen this happen. She's very healthy and active as are all the other horses in the pasture she runs with.

Should we be putting sunblock on her and any good suggestions? Anybody have this happen? Will we have to put sunblock on that area always or will she "toughen up". How long before the hair grows back? We live in Minnesota so it's not like she's exposed to a lot of sun and heat throughout the year. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.........Mary

Hard to judge without picture(s). It seems odd that she'd be losing hair in one spot if it's a sunburn. It may be something else causing it.

Anyway.....if it IS sunburn, there are equine fly sprays that have sunblock in them. We've had foals get sunburn on their noses and have put human baby sunblock on them.

3 weeks and the skin in very soft. Could be sunburn. I've had a foal who did sunburn on the back one year. The hair is not normally the same in the colored patches. If she took a nap in the sun it could have happened.

Sometimes a freshly clipped foal will catch too much sun, also.

Try aloe vera on her. As she ages this will not be an issue but since it has now happened, this summer it may be a concern until her "real" hair coat comes in.

I have a 2 yr old Pinto with a half white face and in the past have used Horseman's Dream Veterinary Cream found at TSC.......athis year for some reason I have had to go to my vet and get precription Sunblock cream for him as he was burning really bad and the horsemans wasn't helping....My vet did say once we get the sunburn under control to go back to Horsemans Cream once a day..

SO you might give it a try.

Jenn

Latest posts

Back