Suggestions....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Since there are so many green thumbs on the forum I thought I'd come for suggestions on some flowers that I would like to plant. I'm looking for a perennial flowering/butterfly bush or plants that would do well in a sandy sunny part of our property. If they don't do well in sandy soil we can always put down potting soil so that would not be a problem I don't think.

We had a tree come down on our property last Friday due to a windstorm, right on our coops. Yesterday I had a tree service come and remove the tree stump and trim some big branches away from the house and now I'm left with alot of sunlight and an open area. We are going to landscape around the coop so it can't be seen from the road, and want to make it nice and appealing by planting some kind of flowering plants that will look colorful and pretty. Any suggestions would be very helpful!
default_yes.gif
:

I can't make suggestions unless I know what zone you live in! There are tons of things I can grow here in SoCal that people in MN can only dream about - and vice-versa!

Oh I'm sorry I forgot!!
default_wacko.png
: I'm not sure what zone I'm at but I live in southern New Jersey. Thanks you guys!

Edited to add: I just did a look up and I'm in zone 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Lantana for your area. A perennial bush with pretty blossoms all season long that butterflys love. They grow well in sandy soil and love the sun, so neither of those things would be a problem. I planted a couple in area 5 and am anxious to see how they winter.

Monarch3.jpg

Donna...I LOVE those flowers!!!!
default_yes.gif
: They remind me so much of the Zinnias that are only annuals. I will definitely have to ask about them around this area. Thank you!

A great hardy flowering perenial that thrives in sandy (not so good) soil with lots of sun is what's commonly called a "Red Hot Poker".......Both butterflies and hummingbirds LOVE the blooms!

We had great luck with it in our rock garden at our previous place.

MA

Try the sage family. Autumn sage comes in pink and red. It is perennial and blooms first thing in the spring until frost. Hummingbirds like it, too.

I see butterflies on my lantana, too. But it is not very winter hardy here in SW Oklahoma.

Monarda (bee balm) doesn't bloom very long but it is in the mint family and if you want it to spread, it will do that!

Since you are in the Garden State, you shouldn't have any trouble finding gorgeous plants. Local nurseries are usally better than discount stores, as they know what grows where you live.

It's shocking to have a drastic change in your landscape, but once the shock wears off it can be fun to try new things. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back