Sugesstions on what to put down around a barn?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedminis45107

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone had any sugestions on what to put down around a barn that gets really muddy when its nasty out? we are looking to put something down and i know that its really impossible to get it bone dry but any sugesstions would be nice...? we thought about a mulch but im not sure if that would be a good idea.
default_unsure.png
...?

Thanks in advance!

I think there is a product called "muck buster" , my other idea is to just put down stall mats

We put down what we call 'screenings' its a ground up small gravel with lots of sandy type material. the rocks are very small and none are pointy. It has worked very well here. You will need to put it about 3-4 inches deep. You can pack it down or it will get hard over time. It is great to clean poop out of too.

my barn has crushed lime stone in it and ohhhh do I love it. It looks like the barn could flote away at times, but its dry inside!
default_laugh.png

I used sawdust..course stuff, and always put the pee stuff out as well. Over the years I made a huge loafing area around the run in that was attached to the barn. It was spongy and nice and NOT muddy..I also hate to see em in muck and mud...now I have a great garden area of black soil.

We use the pee spots too. Poop gets put in the spreader and the wet spots get dumped where needed around the barn. In the winter we use the wet bedding to cover any icy spots and provide safe footing. Saves wear and tear on the manure spreader too. Our bedding is pellets that break down to sawdust.

Thanks! wouldnt using the pee spots take along time to build up?? we had thought about using limestone but we didnt know if that would be good for them to be walking on it all the time....they cant eat on limestone can they? will it cause them to sand colic? i dont want to lock them up around something that can harm them....we have put down gravle in the past and believe me NOT a good idea!oh and what is "Muck Buster"? where could i find it?

Not sure where you live but if you have a wood mill around you can get a big truckload, mind they don't mill walnut, and I don't much like cherry either but most mill maple, pine, poplar and oak and that's great.

we have put down gravle in the past and believe me NOT a good idea!
Just curious why you didnt like the gravel? I got a load of gravel several months ago for around my barn and both the horses and I love it! No mud, no dust, keeps their feet self trimmed a bit too! I just have to make sure I pick up the poo on it so it doesnt get buried and turn to muck again, but that would be the case with anything you put down. Maybe it was the kind or grade of gravel you got?

1/2 inch PEA GRAVEL! Best stuff ever, keeps the mud out and makes their feet perfect and you can kiss goodbye any foot rot or thrush. I love it. Have been using it over a year. My farrier says my guys feet now are perfect. The horses love it, even lay in it. I have heard you can use it for lamanitis horses because it supports the sole and frog. I just use one of those fine forks to pick out the poos. can't say enough good about it.

we have put down gravle in the past and believe me NOT a good idea!
Just curious why you didnt like the gravel? I got a load of gravel several months ago for around my barn and both the horses and I love it! No mud, no dust, keeps their feet self trimmed a bit too! I just have to make sure I pick up the poo on it so it doesnt get buried and turn to muck again, but that would be the case with anything you put down. Maybe it was the kind or grade of gravel you got?

We had big horses at the time and most of them wore shoes,well we would always find one stone brusied from the rocks, that was even with cleaning thier feet out everyday...the gravel we used was like a bigger rock...and some of it is still there but alot of it has grounded down into the ground,so we are looking for a diff. solution....and the pea gravel sounds like a good idea! THANKS!
default_biggrin.png

Here is my contribution: Its called "chat" a mixture of crushed limestone, sand, and fine gravels you can find anywhere they sell dirt. Its cheap too and feels great on barefeet in the summer time. I wouldn't be caught without it or I'd have a muddy barn yard for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfyo22b47YU

We've used Woody Pet successfully in wet areas. It comes as a pellet but expands with water to create soft shavings. We have put it in areas where we wanted grass to grow because it is organic. We also used it where we eventually put stepping stones or pea gravel. Us it dry in a thikc layer. We ave used it in stalls - especially for foaling. It really soaks up all of the fluid. We would first soak it lightly in a bucket of water and squeeze it out and put it down. It dries out quickly and becomes very absorpent.

Latest posts

Back