submersible heaters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
I just got a 100 gal. water trough and submersible heater. It says it needs a copper rod for grounding driven into the ground. The ground is getting frozen already here in Maine.

Do I need the rod? If I don't use it will it electrocute anyone?

Thanks ahead of time

Lee

P.S.

Any advice on this? I've never had one and tips would be helpful.

A rod would be best and I am not sure how accurate this is but my vet told me I can run a wire from my fence (it is a panel fence) with something on the end that is metal ( like a nut or something) and drop it into the tank and it will help.

Idid have one go bad a couple years ago and it did shock us and the horses but it wasnt to bad not sure if that is cause the wire thing.

Now I use much smaller heaters that use only 250 watts not 1500 watts

Thank you Lisa, 44 lookers and only one answer which I dearly appreciate.

Lee

Lisa, where do you get a 250 watt heater? The smallest I have found here is 500 watts. Also Abby, If it says you need to ground it I would. I have grounding posts that have holes at different levels depending on how deep you get it into the ground. It is just a bit bigger in diameter than rebar and can be driven into the ground with a hammer or post pounder. I belive you can get them at Home Depot or Lows. They are not expensive.

Is it plugged into a GFI outlet? If so it will shut power off to the heater if it shorts out.

Lisa, where do you get a 250 watt heater? can get them at Home Depot or Lows. They are not expensive.

I use a bird bath de -icer and the last one I got was at D&B supply it is a farm de-icer it looks a bit different then the bird bath one this one is a circle with a hole in the middle like a doughnut it says can be used up to 25 gallons but so far we have been down to about 12 degrees one night and I have it in a 75 gallon tank and it works just fine so far :)

If your heater is not grounded somehow, your horses could get shocked when they drink. Mine is plugged into my barn gfi outlet. If you have to use an extension cord, the shorter the better.

I have a bucket heater for a 100 gallon rubbermade tub it screws into the back near the bottom. I used it for about 2 weeks a few years ago. I feel very uncomfortable leaving home or sleeping with it plugged in. After the Perkins Farm fire (here in Maine) I will not use it. Every time I unplugged it a loud white pop occured. There are too many stories of horses getting zapped and barns catching fire. My friend around the corner has one just like mine. Her "automatic shut off" didn't work last year. Lucky she heard the snap crackling and popping before it was too late. I carry hot buckets of water out 3 times a day when it gets bad. It is good exercise for me. My gang has always been great water drinkers. They break through ice themseleves but I still carry hot buckets of water from the house.

Is it plugged into a GFI outlet? If so it will shut power off to the heater if it shorts out.
default_yes.gif

We use the big tank with the 1500 watt for most of the horses. The others we have smaller tubbs, they look like "muck buckets" that you plug in like a heated bucket, works for us. Never had any shocks, had some buckets "just die".

We have a couple different heaters here and have used several others onother farms. Never had one that called for a ground rod. Not a bad idea but none I have used even mentioned it.

Regardless of the ground rod they should always be plugged into a GFI outlet. If you don't have one as a recepticle you can also buy as in line plug in. Kind plugs into existing outlet then cord plugs in to that. We use on construction sites some times.

Mark

I've used stock tank heaters for as many years as I've had horses in Iowa (20) and have never used a grounding rod.

Back