Stray Goat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMoonEmbroidery

Reaction score
Got home from work today and there was a message on my machine from one of my neighbors. Seems he found a goat wandering around his farm today and thought it was mine so he brought it down and put it in my pasture. Only problem is its not mine!

I've got calls into everyone I can think of and so far the only clue I have is it used to belong to a large farm by here but they sold it to a guy whose name they can't remember and they dont have his number or address. Wonderful!

Its a young full size goat, but other than that I know nothing about it. I can't get near it and he/she is absolutely terrified of my horses.

The police said if I decide I can't keep it here they will send the humane society out to pick it up, but I would really like to find its owner! I put an found ad up on craigslist and will go put signs up at the stations and stores tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

Ask around. We had the same thing happen a few years back. We have one neighbor who knows everything that is going on in our area and she told us that it belonged to a little secluded farm down the road. How she knew, I have no clue. We actually wanted to keep him though, had a name picked out and everything
default_rolleyes.gif
. Anyway, maybe someone in you area will know. Otherwise, your ideas sound good.

Ask around. We had the same thing happen a few years back. We have one neighbor who knows everything that is going on in our area and she told us that it belonged to a little secluded farm down the road. How she knew, I have no clue. We actually wanted to keep him though, had a name picked out and everything
default_rolleyes.gif
. Anyway, maybe someone in you area will know. Otherwise, your ideas sound good.

Most lost/found adds are free in the paper, you could put an add in your local paper. Put flyers up (or just call) any vets in your local area.

I bet the poor thing is scared. Goats hate not being with other goats. They usually do well with horses, but obviously this one has never been around horses.

Good luck in finding it's owner....will you keep it if you can't find the owner?

You might enjoy keeping it. I have a friend that came out one morning to find a pair of emus in her yard. She never found out where they came from, but assumed someone just got tired of them and turned them out. She ended up keeping them.

You might call your extension office and ask if any 4-H members could take him.

I've had a couple stray goats from different farms show up at my place. They each traveled about 1/2 mile from their respective to get to my place. You might check a 1/2 to a mile circumference around your property. Just a thought...

No sign of the owner so far. I've put signs up, called the vet, the humane society, the area 4H leader, and everyone I can think of that has goats. So now we are looking for someone who can take her while we keep looking and keep her if I cant find her owner.

We used to have pygmys, but our last one passed away over the winter. I want her to go to a home with other goats, because she is just not happy here. She just walks around the pasture yelling so I know she is lonely.

Just waiting to hear back from a couple people, so hopefully at this time tomorrow she will be with some friends!

Latest posts

Back