Strange material in feces--???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a very serious worm overload. Did you have the horse wormed within the last week? they look like round worms. If the worms are this bad then you need to be carefull about worming to not cause colic. Safeguard or panacure might be the best one to use for now. How old is this horse?

Does the mini look healthy otherwise?

He is a 16 year old stallion. She has noticed some rubbing just lately, which is unusual for him. Her worming schedule is fall and spring, so had not wormed for fall yet. He is in good weight. We went to a parade on Saturday and he pooped in the trailer, which is why the feces material was so noticeable.

He always has plenty of good hay to eat and is in a dry lot. He is lotted with the same horse, which was tested two weeks ago and found clean. He has plenty of energy, feet are excellent. He's starting to get a little winter coat, but nothing out of the ordinary. Here he is in the parade on Saturday. www.cassphoto.com/elkcoveredfront.jpg

Neither of us had ever seen this before. I am planning to send the photo via email tomorrow for the vet to look at.

I haven't seen lots of worms in manure, so could be wrong, but it looks slimy to me, like shed mucosal lining. But, what do I know.

I think you may be right Diane. They do look flatter and slimyer than round worms. Also the fact that he was tested for worms and came back clean. Sometimes tapes do not show up on a test.

Would a horse ever shed full length tape worms without being wormed?

Well, I'm with you. I haven't seen many worms in manure, and actually my first thought was that the horse got into some kind of string (like the kind that sews the top of the feed bags) that it ate and it was covered in slime as it went through the gut. Then, I saw those "rice" looking particles and thought of tapeworms, like we see in dog poop!

Oh well, the vet should know, and I'll be interested to find out!
I also wondered about some foriegn material that did not digest. I have had that happen once. It did not look like that though. i can't think of anything that might come out looking like that.

I also see the mucus.

It is my understanding that the tape worms in dogs and in horses do not look the same. I did mention tape to her, though, and she plans to use a good 3-way wormer as soon as the vet opens. She was planning to do that anyway because of his recent rubbing, even before the wierd poop.

I thought it also looked like mucus or something organic. If it were something he ate, it seems as though it wouldn't come out like that. I had a youngster that ate orange marking tape. It came out as orange marking tape (thank goodness it came out). Her horse has plenty to eat all the time and is not prone to picking up stuff off the ground. And he will not readily take even a treat from strangers.

Why O why do these things happen on long weekends??

That looks like mucus, not worms. Note the dark colored mucus over in the other side of the photo. I have seen that sort of thing in manure, but not in that amount. Not sure what causes it in a healthy horse but as long as he seems healthy and normal otherwise I wouldn't worry. If he continues to shed this kind of amount then that is another thing, but if it was a one time thing... Unless it is a tapeworm coated in mucus that does not look like a tapeworm.

After doing a rectal on a mare and removing poop, we noticed there was something strange in the manure similar to your picture. We at first thought worms too but she sent it into the lab and it was mucous membrane tissue

I have not read through all the replies, but I agree with Minimor...that looks to me to be mucous, not worms at all. SO it looks to be from an intestinal upset of sorts.

Mucus maybe, I would have gloved up and taken a closer look

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like mucus not worms - and is probably fine. (Unless I am overlooking something here) --- However it seems to have a lot of it - I don't remember what my vet called it - there seems to potentially be a spot of blood in it which means he may have struggled passing a small blockage or something - so I would watch him for other colic signs

The rice stuff off to the far left to me (unless I am looking at something wrong) looks like partially digested hay pieces - not worms to me

I have seen worms in manure and the ones I have seen are long and skinny (earth worm looking but longer) ICKY!!!

Back to mucus

If you were to pick up a ball of manure and break it apart is it dry or seem fairly moist? If it is dry he may be having constipation issues even though he is passing. Electrolytes can be beneficial and ensure he is drinking plenty. He could also fix this on his own. Hard to tell consistency from photo - but a change in poop can be a warning sign of other things or this could be nothing at all...

I would watch him and ensure he is drinking normally and passing everything he eats.

Personally when I get strange poop I always pick it up (in hand) to feel for consistency and dryness - if you break it open and the poop interior is dry - there is potentially issues... however if very moist you are at least hydrated - it helps to know the consistency of the horse poop by feel of that horse when he is normal

I think you may be right Diane. They do look flatter and slimyer than round worms. Also the fact that he was tested for worms and came back clean. Sometimes tapes do not show up on a test.

Would a horse ever shed full length tape worms without being wormed?
YES! I bought a big horse filly that had worms so bad she would poop more worms than poop.

Did you send the pic to the vet? What does he think?

I finally had a chance to talk to my sister today and ask her what the vet said. He told her it was mucous, and there must be some kind of stress going on. She is not sure what that could be, as his lifestyle has been very consistent. She's working on figuring out what could be going on with him.

Once had a swarm of bees move in next to a horse - no one noticed - it caused her stress and then she got swarmed (then sent to me) ...

Anyway - keep in mind there may be environmental factors causing stress one may not think of such as pests (bugs) - or maybe a neighbor got a new horse, dog, or maybe sold one she talked to through the fence.. or maybe teasing children while they are gone?

or?

I recognized it as shed intestinal lining/mucuosa. My vet told me it usually indicates that the manure has 'stayed too long' in the intestines, and yes, it may indicate some kind of stress. Turns out, LOTS of things that we may not even 'think about' can cause stress to a horse...things like hauling, being unduely separated from its compadres. Means we need to do a better job of getting them 'used' to whatever we may expect from them, so they view the activities as 'routine', IMO.

My mare who will be 30 next month sheds intestinal lining in nearly every poop-pile. Because her teeth aren't so good anymore,and she is subject to choke on hay(will NOT eat soaked hay or soaked hay pellets; thank goodness, she likes soaked beet pulp!), she is on a diet of rabbit pellets and Total Equine, with a daily handful or two of alfalfa leaves,and ground flax, along w/ a generous serving of well-soaked beet pulp pellets(even soaked, the 'shreds' had too many LARGE pieces that she couldn't manage to chew...UGH!)-so she doesn't produce much manure...just not enough 'long-stem' fiber. Can't be helped...and she is in VERY good shape and VERY lively when turned out...so it doesn't seem to be a big drawback for HER.

Margo

I haven't had a chance to talk with my sister in a few days. I am wondering if it could be a stallion-thing. Maybe there is a mare, or several mares, near him, which is causing him stress? (I'm not experienced with the stallion/mare dynamic, as I've only had geldings. I have a mare now, but no stallions are around.) Would that be a cause?

I will mention to her that several here have had that happen with their horses. It looks pretty bad to me, but maybe it isn't as terrible as it looks...

Latest posts

Back