Stolen Tractor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyCCF

Reaction score
I just thought that maybe, just maybe, posting this might help. We had a Massey Ferguson tractor, model 5455 ( 4 x 4 tractor bright red, big tires, cab with front end loader) stolen on 2/2/06. Serial Number on the tractor is P188067. It is a 2005 model, and brand new. We had it on our farm, in Harrodsburg, Kentucky. Someone took our gate off the hinges, got in there, stole the tractor( without the keys I might add) and drove it off, loaded it on a rollback, and supposedly (according to the state police) may have taken it into Tennessee. We have an appointment with a lady from the FBI, who are going to get involoved, because it supposedly traveled down I 75, but I thought with as many people as frequent here , someone MIght just hear something that might help. We are offering a 2000 reward for information on the culprits. I have pictures but dont know how to post here.

Now to beat all, when the thieves left, they actually set the gate back up, and clipped the lock back ( I said, thank you god, so my minis did not get out) . Please if anyone has any ideas on how to go about getting a tractor back, I would thank you ten times over.

I would love to know where I could post it, and according to the cops, if youdont do something soon, youll never see it again. If anyone, has any advice, please, let me know. I feel so violated, and even though we do have insurance, it is still a great great loss. But at least they didnt get the horses, or let them out on a busy road.

That's awful Tracy!

I would print up a flyer and take it to every feed/tack/agriculture store around -- or call them and fax or mail it to them and ask them to post it -- also every tractor dealership too - Any tractor repair places you know of --

The various tractor manufacturer's have websites -- and you can do the "dealer near you" from that --

Maybe place an ad in those Tractor Magazines --

Sorry -- I can't think of anything else to do -- Might post on Net Posse. com --- would be different enough that you might get a response to it.

A photo would help -- some of us have no idea what Massey Ferguson 5455 looks like --- what color (not John Deere Green or Ford Blue or -- is is red??)

JJay

:new_shocked: What next! Thankfully they did put the gate back up.

You could try running an ad to buy a tractor just like the one you had stolen. If the tractor is still in the area they may call wanting to sell it to you. More than likely it is out of state. Probably taken at night too. They probably put the gate and lock back so they would have more time to get away as they figured no one would notice as soon. Sorry this happened to you and I hope you find your tractor. Glad your minis were not hurt in any way.

That is just said someone would do something like that. Hope you can catch the person.

What area of the country are you from? If you are in NW Oregon I can put the word out here.

I work for a farm equipment auctioneer up here and he gets lots of walkins on auction day - and he also travels - I will mention it to him
default_smile.png

Also keep checking ebay lots of tractors go through there...

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a New Holland Skid-Steer stolen from us a few years back. The sheriff told us to notify ALL of the New Holland service shops here and in all bordering states of the theft and provide them with the serial number. In theory, when it goes in for service, the number is run and the service center is supposed to call law enforcement. I can't say yet if it works, as we still have not recovered the loader.

We also had a huge Cat Front loader at one time that we lost the keys for. When the guy came out to switch everything out so we could have new keys, he let us know that we really didn't need to go through the trouble. I guess keys are a mere formality in heavy equipment. It did seem kind of funny that this huge 16' tall metal monster was operated with a tiny little lawnmower key.

I would not be surprised if you tractor was not already in a container on a ship headed for South America. There is a huge market for agricultural equipment there. The smaller 4x4 utility tractors are real popular items just because they are so versatile. At farm and equipment auctions in this area it seems that buyers do not care as much about condition as size. If its 60 hp or under they bid, buy and ship south of the border.

I am sorry to here about the tractor. A couple years ago a farmer about an hour from us decided he wanted new hay equipment. No problem. He stole a round baler from one, rake from another, mowco from a third. It took over a year to catch him. Think a neighbor turned him in. Funny thing was people knew he coouldn't afford all that but most never said a word.

I'm going to assume the tractor is fully paid for and this is not the case with yours. A friend of ours worked for a major farm and forest equipment leasing company. One of his jobs was to repo equipment. Some of the time he had to be quite crafty to recover the stuff. I know he told about one day getting a skidder back only to find out they sent him after the wrong one. Same name wrong address.

Hope things work out !

Grrrr, they ought to shoot horse thieves and tractor thieves, lowlifes!

On an interesting note as to just how bold some thieves have become, recently in our area they pulled right up at a highway construction site with trailers and stole the heavy equiptment there! Rollers, graders, etc, in broad daylight! :new_shocked: Just loaded them up like they belonged there and off they went!

Krisp

I just wanted to update everyone, who was kind enough to write. A local farmer, on Monday, went to the tractor dealership where this tractor was purchased in December; He ordered a 5455 Massey key. The nerve of some people.

The man that owned the dealership has called, and filled out a report with the sherriffs office. We now have the FBI involved to try to get something accomplished. (On a sidenote, I bought some minis last Saturday and the lady who owned them worked for the FBI, and she forwarded my info. to the right parties. Seems like since they think it traveled on the interstate, the FBI could become involved. ) Still no tracto though.

THis was a very expensive tractor, (over 50K and it has taken years to get the money to buy it, just to have it taken away in one evening). We are all devastated, and you just feel so violated, its hard to describe the feeling. That a person can come on your farm, take the gate off the hinges, and just drive it away with something you worked so hard to get.

We now have a working security system, and are installing two more security lights, but still, you are never the same. Now, we hate to get another tractor to put on that farm. How can we buy another tractor, and leave it down there for the next hoodlem to go steal. Please , everyone, Make sure you have insurance on all items of value. Not just a farm policy, you must insure the items for theft. Also, be sure they are locked up, insurance has a way of finding ways not to cover things. Just a word to the wise. They are trying not to cover our front end loader, which was attached to the tractor, as they are saying I only had the tractor insured.

Finally, thank you again to everyone, it feels better just to get it off my mind.

Tracy,

I am so sorry to hear about the thief of your tractor. It really stinks to have someone take something so expensive that you have saved up to buy. You have given us all some good advice about insuring our farm equipment. I would not have thought about buying individual insurance for equipment. I really hope the FBI catches the thieves and returns your tractor.

Do you think someone local had to be involved? Have you had any repair work or vistors recently who could have saw the tractor and decided to take it?

I hope you get your feeling of security back. It is bad to not feel comfortable around your own place and feel like you have to keep a watch all the time over your property.

Sincerely,

Freida

Thanks so much Freida, that means a lot to me, we had security lights installed, and having one at the home farm. This is our farm that we dont live on. We think we know who did it, as he went to the dealership and ordered the key to it. But I dont understand law enforcement, they havent done anything about it, but say they will. They have driven by his house, etc. a nd are looking into it, according to them. I honestly am having a hard time staying at home by myself, because i am sure it has gotten back to him, that the police are on to him.

For all of you that have expensive (or not so expensive, but needed) equipment that you cannot afford to rebuy, consider a policy on that equipment. From personal knowledge, a insurance company will not pay on certain items, if they are not fully insured. ie; the loader on the tractor is not covered, and a four wheeler, is not covered, so on and so on. I know because they wont cover the loader on this tractor (at 5500, that is a loss, big loss, as well as a new four wheeler, is not covered, according to my insurance unless it has its own policy, being in a locked barn , is not good enough) please, everyone, check into your insurance, better now than later.

That is just horrible!!!!!!!!!! :deadhorse2:

I dont know how people can get any satisfaction,...taking something from someone who has worked soooo very hard for what they have,....... :no:

hoping that they find your tractor and deliver it safely back to you.

edited,..cause I cant spell right today. lol

Latest posts

Back