Starting driving lessons

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Deb and I will be starting driving lessons with a local lady here who owns a farm and knows quite a bit about driving. I have known her thru my daughter being in her 4-H club for 9 yrs in the past. We are both VERY new to driving (I have driven a few times at the beach and such, but never really knew what I was doing...lol) and Jet is also a green horse, so we did not want a huge disaster with that combo!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

I am excited to begin to learn the proper way to harness, hitch and drive. With this we hope to FINALLY be able to drive Jet at some shows!
default_biggrin.png

That's great Linda! I look forward to seeing you guys at the AMHR shows this year. Make sure you come up to Washington!

Leia

That's great Linda. Maybe you will be able to go driving with Erin and Vicky later this summer after Duckie is finished with her training.

That's awesome!! You will have a blast, I started driving about 1 1/2 years ago and I just love it! Have fun, keep us posted on your progress.

Well, yesterday we had our 1st lesson....and we both figured out we have A LOT to learn...lol
default_laugh.png
But, Deb was quite comical to watch in her attempt to ground drive Jet "properly" (we had been doing it "however"...lol) and it took a lot to not do this
default_risa_suelos.gif
LOL I know she is learning and she will get it on how to properly hold the reins and use her fingers instead of her arms to "steer"....and of course while I do know how to do that part, there are a lot of things I need to work on as well...pressure on the bit, getting Jet to keep forward motion and not cutting corners
default_poke.gif
default_wink.png

Our trainer had a lot of nice things to say about Jet, which made me feel good. He has of course only been started under harness a few months (with even a break while we "waited" out his stifle issues)....and she said that whoever got him started did a really nice job and that he will make a NICE driving horse when its all said and done! When we trot him, it has only been in a smaller arena, so we haven't even tapped into his "speed" gear yet, but he will make an awesome roadster horse I am sure!

So, we all have a lot to learn to even step (er...drive ) into a show ring, I am excited to get there eventually!
default_new_multi.gif

If it makes you feel any better, ground driving is LOTS harder than driving from the box seat on the vehicle. You are moving at different rates than the horse. Does your instructor have a "finished" horse that you can drive for a while to learn how to drive before you have to do it with your green horse?

Myrna

I have a LOT more trouble when ground-driving (or especially long-lining
default_new_shocked.gif
) than when in the cart. It's very hard to keep the contact when the horse can suddenly duck towards you across the circle, leaving your outside rein hanging!
default_rolleyes.gif
Kody in particular loves that trick and it's taken me a long time to learn how to prevent it when he does it so quickly and with so little warning.

Leia

Latest posts

Back