Starting a Breeding Program Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenna

Reaction score
In my Equine Reproduction class our final project is to write an article in the style of one that we would fine in Equus magazine relating to breeding. I am toying with two subjects for my article: Dwarfism in Miniature Horse and Starting a Breeding Program - Miniature Horse/Shetland Pony Style. While I know that the basic requirements for breeding of all horse breeds are the same, I kinda wanted to put Mini horses as the focus.

So to All you breeders out there can you give me your advice on starting a program...maybe how you started.

Topics I want to cover in this article are :

Choosing mares/stallions

Popular Lines

promotion

breeding barn 101

and if i see another come up in this thread then Ill add to it
default_smile.png

Thank you guys a bunch I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinons

default_smile.png

I got into miniatures because I had small children and didn't want them around the horses. At that time, ponies were a dime a dozen and most had bad temperaments, so I wasn't interested in them either. I found a small, classified ad in Horse Illustrated for a guy less than 2 hours away in Jackson Michigan who had something called "Miniature Horses." Called him up, went to see him, and the rest is history.

In earlier days, my mares were mostly those whose price tag met my wallet. Certainly not expensive. Mostly from backyard breeders. I bought a bunch from a guy who advertised them in the Wheeler-Dealer magazine. Had some success with them, but eventually was able to upgrade the mare herd a little at a time until I got to where we are today.

Even just starting out I knew I wanted Buckeroo bloodlines. I fell in love with his photo. It took a while, but most of my herd now goes back to Buckeroo.

Hope this helps.

I think before a person should become a "breeder" they should first be an avid participant in the breed for many years, until they gain a mentor or two who can help them.

I would suggest investing in (a few) top quality mares, and then spend time showing them on the show circuit. This will help the potential breeder understand the types of horses out there, bloodlines available, and how your selected stock stacks up against others. If it appears that they are not up to standards, I'd go try again. Some argue that the show ring does not mean "quality" but it IS used as a measure of quality to many!

As the mares obtain titles in the show ring, they can retire to breeding. I would suggest breeding them to outside stallions who also have obtained show records. This will give genetic diversity, and females can be retained for the program. An outstanding colt can be retained to promote and show, or one can be purchased.

Usually people keep the highest-caliber stallion and breed him to the mares which compliment him best (sometimes having to go out and purchase mares to compliment him) and then keep all of his daughters. These daughters can then be bred to a new selected stallion. That is an option.

There certainly is no "one way" to do something!

Andrea

I agree with Disneyhorse, but would like to add, we checked out the mares pedigrees and only bought our first mares from big name farms, the old big fish is a little pond thing. We did show them and placed, but when we bought our first stallion, we spent thousands of dollars to have him promoted for us by a big name trainer, then we showed his offspring All to date execpt the yearlings are Champions. You can also promot your breeding program by taking your horses to 4-H demos, or parades, or animal welfare presentations. I takes a lot of work to promo but you want your horses to be seen.

When breeding you also need to take into account the economy of the present time. For example, it is a buyers market right now, as a breeder I didn't breed any mares for this year it is hard to breed when you are in the red. I am instead concentrating on training the yearlings from last year for rehoming. (can't say the s word)

Breeders should breed for the best horse possable, conformation, temperment wise, not to breed just for color, or blue eyes. The miniature horse standards are always changing, just my opinion, so you should keep up with your education of this breed. Never judge a horse on pedigree alone, breeding stock whould have GREAT conformation.

As a miniature breeder should be prepared for the worse, dystocia and have the funds available to deal with that. All the education in the world can't beat Mother Nature.

Sorry for all the typos in the above post. Rain has my arthritic fingers swollen, typing this post very slow. Terry
default_no.gif

I have been told to 'buy the best mares you can and breed to better stallions.'

Not how we started, but inexperience and bad advice in the beginning. I tell people that come out here, we didn't get the "ivy league education to Minis, more in the trenches learning". Some regrets, but definitely alot of useful experience. I try to learn something from every person I meet. Some I want to emulate others I definitely don't!

I tell ANYONE wanting to get into breeding Minis. EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE yourself. Everything is online, you can learn about hereditary diseases, showing, conformation requirements, marketing, pedigrees, medical care, feeding, etc.

•  
  • Talk to a bunch of breeders not just one.
  • Go to shows, if you want to show - watch trainers and ask for references.
  • Really develop an eye for a correctly conformed horse. Be brutally honest with yourself on the flaws of your breeding herd and how to correct them.
  • Look at what the top breeders are doing with their breeding programs.
  • Cull your herd regularly. A great mare or stallion that isn't working for you may work elsewhere. Don't be afraid to replace him/her.
  • Be responsible and geld all the adequate to good colts.
  • Set up your property properly to house mares, foals, stallions, outside mares for breeding.
  • Work out a great feed and vaccination program before getting your horse.
  • Line up your support - farrier, vet, ranch help, feed store, before getting your Minis.
  • Learn how to deliver foals or line up a place to foal out for you.
  • If this is a business work out a business plan and have goals.

That's just off the top of my head. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Back