Stall hay feeder??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
I'm looking for a safe hay feeder for inside the stall that doesn't take up a ton of space and is easy to clean. I've looked at the metal ones and they don't look safe to me. I've been using hay nets with no trouble until the other night, when I don't know what in the world she was doing, but a mare snagged her leg in the thing. Thankfully we were there and got her untangled immediately and she is fine.

For my mares with babies I've been sweeping back bedding by their feed and water bucket and I've been putting their hay there on the floor. Then I noticed my babies like to piddle there. I guess a clean bare mat is just too irresistable.

My husband and I have been bouncing different ideas around for making them, but can't quite come up with a good design. We're open to suggestions. Please!!!

Thanks,

On the floor...it's definitely the safest, and the most natural position. A horse's teeth, jaw, etc. are shaped to eat from the ground. By making a horse raise it's head to get hay - you are pulling it's teeth out of position.

And hay nets deserve to be burned as you found out. They are a broken leg waiting to happen. You were LUCKY.

I have always used the small hole hay nets and never had a problem- although in stalls I just put a piece of wood across the corner and feed on the floor but inside an enclosed area- this for me is the best of both worlds as the head is in the correct position but they cannot pull the hay out and practise their basket weaving skills or use it as a toilet, lie in it and otherwise attempt to destroy it before standing around signing affidavits that you are starving them to death!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I have gone through a variety of hay mangers throughout the years and came to the conclusion long ago that the less you have in a stall, the less you have to worry about. Hay nets, no matter how high and careful you hang them are always a concern. I too think they should be burned.

My hay is put on the stall floor. My horses eat the old fashioned way, in their natural grazing position.

I do have a trailer mat in some stalls, and in others, I have a piece of plywood to put the hay on.

Just have to wonder why I don't even have a tablecloth on my kitchen table though

Thanks for the replies. I just always feel like I have to do "something more". I haven't spent enough money or gone crazy enough. All the stalls are matted, its not like they are eating out in the sand. Phew!! One less thing to worry about.
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks a bunch!!

I can't feed on the ground here because of sand.In each run in shed I use hay bags(not nets)they are made of nylon material and have a hole for the horse to pull the hay out.I put them on screw eyes high enough so horses can't get feet into the hole.They are availabe at many tack stores and catalog suppliers and are often $10-15 each and last a long time.

I put the hay in laundry baskets, seems to work fine though make sure the holes are small, not big. Also I have automatic waterers in each stall so don't water in buckets. Grain dishes I only put in when they are getting grain and take them out when they are done.
default_yes.gif
:

I use small sheep/goat hay feeders from (Mid States Wool Growers , $34) . They hold one flake nicely and don't take up much space. I've been using them for 5 years without a problem
default_smile.png

My filly won't eat her hay off her stall floor(what can I say..she thinks she is a princess and is too good to eat food off the floor
default_wub.png
: ...but, shes quirky like that
default_rolleyes.gif
: )Tried a hay rack like a few other horses here have, but she uses it as a butt scratcher
default_wacko.png
: So, she gets her hay put in her milk crate. The milk crate is the perfect size for the amount of hay she gets and the holes are small enough that there is no way of her getting her foot caught. They don't take up much space, you can get them anywhere and it works great for her!

Jen

I just built a wooden box and sit it in the corner and tacked it to the wall. It's on the ground, doesn't take much space and it works great. My horses just made a mess when I put their hay on the floor. They wasted more than they ate so the box is wonderful.

We have rubber matts in the stalls so l usually just throw it on the floor in a corner with a 2x8 across the front so they don't paw it out all over right of the bat...

Here is a GREAT alternative to hay nets... we got some of them for horse shows - with a regular hay bag or net, the minis will empty them within a few moments and then trample the hay and be bored... With this at the last show - Appy worked at one flake of bermuda ALL DAY at the show and it was still half-full at the end of the day!

Busy Snacker

the holes in the snacker are small enough that I don't think an adult mini could get a foot through if they tried - and, even empty, they don't sag the way a net will. The busy buffet has bigger holes and I don't think would keep a horse busy as long, plus I think the holes are big enough to catch a hoof.

I use the cut out large barrels that have the diagonal racks set in them.. You can hook them over the stall rails or mount them with the U sets.

I picked a few up at a yard sale that was missing the hardware to mount them off of the ground, so I decided to put one standing up in a stall, with a mare and a 3 month old filly.. Well darned if that filly didnt decide to step into that barrel this morning and hang herself up.
default_wacko.png
:

I heard all the clattering on my mare stare audio montitor, at about 7:00 am this morning, and ran out to the barn to see what it was. I found the filly on her side with both feet and head stuck inside the racks of the barrel.. I was able to calm her by sitting on her,- til I could free her of her prediciment, but I can tell this would have never happened if I had mounted it up on a rail, off of the ground. Filly is just fine.. (Hope this helps someone)

So mount those hay feeders!
default_yes.gif
:

Now that is very clever and inexpensive too! I've made an all day hay feeder box with a grid affair, cost over $150 to build, that works beautifully for the minis but my big horses learned to pull the grate to beat the system. It is so heavy I don't know how they did it. That would be a fantastic alternative to what we have now and would do what I want which is too keep them busy for a long time. Great info and thanks for the link!

Here is a GREAT alternative to hay nets... we got some of them for horse shows - with a regular hay bag or net, the minis will empty them within a few moments and then trample the hay and be bored... With this at the last show - Appy worked at one flake of bermuda ALL DAY at the show and it was still half-full at the end of the day!

Busy Snacker

the holes in the snacker are small enough that I don't think an adult mini could get a foot through if they tried - and, even empty, they don't sag the way a net will. The busy buffet has bigger holes and I don't think would keep a horse busy as long, plus I think the holes are big enough to catch a hoof.

We use the wraught iron type that bolt on the wall or in our case hang off the partition top. They hold about 2 flakes and we get them from Meader Supply. Most of ours do not actually eat directly out of the feeder but usually pull some out, eat whats in their mouth and the rest drops. They then eat what has fallen, then grab more. We get very little waste and it keeps them a little busy. When we tried to feed on the floor even on mats what a mess! in 5 minutes they had hay all over the stall and most of it they would not touch again.

Mark

I put the hay in laundry baskets, seems to work fine though make sure the holes are small, not big. Also I have automatic waterers in each stall so don't water in buckets. Grain dishes I only put in when they are getting grain and take them out when they are done.
default_yes.gif
:
I dont feed in my stalls on most days but I have used these wwith great success. I use the rubbermaid ones and they really can take alot of horsey abuse

As always, really a lot of good suggestions here. We feed hay on the floor, but our stalls are on mats with heavy layer of shavings. The horses pick the hay out of bedding if it gets mixed in which it usually doesn't. ... they eat too fast.

[SIZE=12pt]BUT[/SIZE] ... those BABIES! Toss hay on floor, baby hurries over to pee on it! I swear if they are ASLEEP they jump up to pee on the hay right away. :eek: Poor moms. No matter how much hay I put out the baby ruined it.

I finally came up with a solution for our barn which works great here and would work outside if you use cattle panels or any other kind of mesh fencing. A big plastic kitty litter pan OUTSIDE the stall or fence...held on by bungee cord. Put the hay in the pan with the stall bars or the fence on the front. Horse pulls hay out of the pan in bites and BABY CAN'T PEE ON IT! :aktion033:

I started using this last year and it works GREAT for me! And cheap
default_yes.gif
:

Charlotte

Bluegable, your dad has done a remarkable job on the stalls and hay feeder! Very nice!!
default_smile.png

I noticed a while back that someone uses muck buckets for feeders. I have not been able to find that picture, so I am not sure who it is. I am curious how that works.

Marla

Latest posts

Back