Spring on the prairie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is challenging having ornamentals and a garden on the prairie. But I want to share my espaliered apple tree photo. The peach blossoms are nearly over and wee peaches are forming. The cherry is blooming, too. But this apple is the prettiest!

And the clove currants around the lagoon have finally begun to thrive and smell absolutely heavenly. If only it doesn't freeze again, or blow a 60+ mph cold wind...

Potatoes are up and hope to plant my lettuce today.

apple.jpg

Blossoms look great. My SIL grows quite a few citrus like that. Can you tell me what a clove current is ?
default_smile.png

I'm a bit late here, but that is a lovely tree. And I see some large bolders behind it . gosh I can here my mother now " Rebecca go get something to move it, it would look good somewhere ". Ughg she actually buys holders from people. Then I'm stuck moving them. And half the time there isn't a place to put them. We have one in the middle of our front yard. Lol it looks like a car deterant. Like don't hit our mailbox cause you'll hit a rock first
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the base of a mountain in the background, part of the Wichita Mountain range. There are lots of loose, handsome boulders here that we use in our landscape. The mountain is the reason we have to garden in raised beds.

A clove currant is native shrubby plant. Very hardy. It tolerates the heat and hates to be pampered. Spreads by underground roots, so it is an ideal plant to make a thicket. I've never harvested any fruit from ours, as we've been too dry the last few years for it to set fruit. And I think the wildlife would get any before I could, as they don't bother waiting for it to get ripe. Bright yellow flowers and a scent that wafts all around the yard. I should go out and photograph it for my garden diary.

Now, if we can just keep the aerial spray planes away, maybe we will get some harvest this year... I've already contacted our senator/representative about the 2 4D issue this year. It's being "discussed"--same as for the last 5 years! I feel it should be banned, as it is impossible to police and few, if any, applicators use it properly.

Dipped down to 31 this past week, but we were only 35 here. The mountain gives us a sort of micro-climate.

Ryan, what support does your sil use for her citrus?

They make the best garden beds and bordering for driveways. I have a friend that has a farm in the hills a couple of hours away from me. I think we made 6-7 trips up there with one of the work trucks to dig rocks out of the mountains on his property. We used them to line the driveway with and also to make garden beds out of. Same set up as you with the pots though hers grow along trellis fencing. Im sure it works in the same way:) One of the citrus ones she has growing produces lemons, limes and mandarins on the same tree.

5 years of discussing ? Seems to be the normal here too with the local councils. Hope they can give you an answer soon enough
default_smile.png

is it like round up ?

Back