Splashed White Gene Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your mare and half bro stallion, ohmt, are both minimal expression tobianos for sure. Probably both have sabino, although it shows more in the mare obviously. Many minimal tobis, have a small white patch somewhere on the withers. Like your stallion, some do not. Years ago, many questioned that a stallion marked as yours, was really the sire of a given foal. After testing came about, it was finally understood that such horses were indeed tobiano and could produce it in small or quite large patterns.

I wouldn't bother to test for Sabino1. Few turn out to be so. And who knows if the 'blue roan pinto' you describe, was really a true blue roan, or a sabino. Many don't know how to tell the difference.

Handsome fellow - your boy! Looking at his markings, he's got some kind of sabino in there.

Lizzie

This thread has a wealth of information on it!! I never knew about the small white patch on the withers being a sign of tobiano, but that explains the pattern on Toffee, the bay mare with blue eyes I posted on page 1. She has one small white spot on her neck under her mane, another on the withers, a larger spot on her rear that you can't see in the photo, and the white tail. She has had tobiano foals from solid stallions so I assumed she carried tobiano. I will get her tested for splash and frame.

Now, back to splash: Will that cause white on the chin? Buckshot and his son Rusty both have small white spots on their chins, with Rusty's being his only face white. As curious as I am about this, I really can't afford to test the whole herd!

Can you show us a pic of Dove please, Desiree? Your website isn't working.

Lizzie
Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I fixed it.
default_yes.gif

My computer does not work well so I am not able to upload pictures often, but it is working well tonight, so I attached a picture of both of my kids.
default_smile.png

This is Dove:

DoveDenise2011July270002.jpg

I have acquired some girls this year that I am wondering what they are too. None look sabino and only one has 1 blue eye. All have white face. Two have irregular blazes and one has bald face. I cant ever get pics to go on here but you can see the girls on my website.

http://windyacresminiaturehorses.webs.com/mares2.htm This page has 3 girls on it that I dont know what they have for sure. All the lower three (not the first one) The 2nd mare down has color on both sides around the eyes and top half of her head, there is a good pic of her head on the home page. She is tobiano and I assume something else, she has a lot of white on her and has brown eyes. I did not test her for LWO. Her dad is overo for sure (mostly white with just a couple spots of color). Her dam is a buckskin tobiano with no signs of overo.

3rd mare down is a buckskin pinto filly with one blue eye and lip marking, her sire is LWO+ and dam is tobiano with an irregular blaze. She has been tested for Frame and came back neg. and hetero for tobiano. She doesnt have roaning so wondering where her face white and one blue eye is coming from?

4th girl down is a palomino filly I just got. She has a bald face and all 4 high stockings. She came back not tobiano or frame. Her sire is LWO+ and her dam looks to have some minimal tobiano. Her eyes are not blue or brown, but a violet color I have never seen before. Also has color on bottom half of mouth on one side, plus lip marking.

Next girl I think has overo or splash is here: http://windyacresminiaturehorses.webs.com/mares.htm the 3rd mare down on the page. She is homo for tobiano, no blue eyes but does have an irregular blaze and lip markings. Her sire looks to be a normal black tobiano and dam is same as the buckskin pinto filly listed above. Looks to be a normal tobiano except the irregular blaze. I did not test her for overo.

None of my stallions are overo or even splash looking so not a huge deal on if any of the girls are LWO+ or even splash for that matter. I just dont know a lot about overo and other pinto markings other than tobiano. So would be nice to know if any of their foals are going to have any crazy patterns or lots of white. I might send in hair samples at tax return time or just let it go.

My biggest thing is this palomino filly with the white legs and bald face with weird colored eyes. Since she is barely a yearling I dont really need to test her for splash anytime soon and since I spent so much to do all the other tests, hubby dont want me spending any more on color testing.

Just trying to learn here
default_smile.png

Marsha

Your mare and half bro stallion, ohmt, are both minimal expression tobianos for sure. Probably both have sabino, although it shows more in the mare obviously. Many minimal tobis, have a small white patch somewhere on the withers. Like your stallion, some do not. Years ago, many questioned that a stallion marked as yours, was really the sire of a given foal. After testing came about, it was finally understood that such horses were indeed tobiano and could produce it in small or quite large patterns.
I wouldn't bother to test for Sabino1. Few turn out to be so. And who knows if the 'blue roan pinto' you describe, was really a true blue roan, or a sabino. Many don't know how to tell the difference.

Handsome fellow - your boy! Looking at his markings, he's got some kind of sabino in there.

Lizzie
Hi Lizzie! Yes, both are minimal expression tobianos-the stallion was tested as such, and the mare is an easy one to tell. The mare has sabino and I'm fairly certain the stallion does as well. He has a lot of 'roaning' around his stockings. Not just the usual feathery stuff either, but big roaned out splotches. He produces a lot of white on his foals out of solid mares. I am thinking that the "blue roan pinto" mare was actually sabino and not true roan which is why I put the bunny ears around it
default_smile.png
She never produced a true roan foal that I could find. I have never tested for Sabino1 for exactly the reason you have stated. Not worth it. Thank you for the compliments on "Viking"! I really need new pictures of him though. He is so much nicer in person. Oh and thank you for the link! Have it saved in my favorites
default_smile.png

I think I am just most curious to see if my horses with the partial blue eyes are splash. I have found that every one of them is most likely sabino (based on what is known about sabino at the moment) and I have made my own theory, so excited to see what I'll learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is this test offered, is there a link to it? I have a black tobiano mare that has one blue eye and a star and snip so curious if she could carry splash, her dam didnt have blue eyes but did have face white and her half sister has a partial blue eye. All three of them are obviously tobiano just not sure what else they carry. I lost the dam last spring very unexpectedly so cant test her but can test both fillies I retained from her. Both have different sires so that is why I am assuming it is coming from the mare as Desi's sire was solid with no pinto anywhere close in his pedigree.

Ellie, star, snip, and one blue eye:

181932_10150095196107512_236449937511_6096378_2857598_n.jpg

378645_10150390754247512_236449937511_8213801_932678387_n.jpg

Desi, no face white but partial blue eye:

298393_10150340124567512_236449937511_7938423_738682327_n.jpg

Their dam, Princess, snip but both eyes brown:

16842_237200102511_236449937511_3118396_1578094_n.jpg

Did I interpret correctly == that if you've already had a horse tested at UCDavis,that they still have hairs on file and you could ask them to run the Splash test, from those hairs?

This is another I would be curious to test as both sire and dam have no white markings but she has this big gorgeous blaze. What should I test her for, is splash a possibility for this type of marking. I am obviously not that great when recognizing some pinto patterns LOL!!

Sassy, big blaze out of two completely solid parents:

386509_10150391156792512_236449937511_8214912_1301099138_n.jpg

Did I interpret correctly == that if you've already had a horse tested at UCDavis,that they still have hairs on file and you could ask them to run the Splash test, from those hairs?
Yes. If you were the one that ordered the original tests, then you can order the new one online. If you log in using the account the horse was tested under, there is an option on their menu (in blue to the left) called "Add a test". You can then check for the splash tests (three together are $25) and they will email you the results. Mine took less than a week to process.

I am Also One That is very Excited about the Splash Test!
default_smile.png

Here are the Ones I intend on Testing.

My Stallion He's Sired by a Stallion I am Pretty sure Carries Splash.

MMMTC Unexpected Ice Storm

Positive for Tobiano / LWO Negative

Griffith23729381.jpg

Lazy Bear Lady Sapphire (Partial Blue Eyes)

Negative for Sab1, Tobiano & LWO

MoreBabies5.jpg

and Sapphire's Daughter

Desert Realms Bejeweled Design (2 Blue Eyes)

Positive for Tobiano / Negative for LWO & Sab1

PastFoalsEmber.jpg

I am also Toying with the Idea of Testing my 2011 Fillies

and I have a Couple who I don't have Pictures on hand I plan on testing too

We sent off six stallions and four bred mares as the first group.

If the sire nor dam have the splashed white gene there is no reason to test the foals.

We have a lot of horses to test and will need to be smart about which we choose.
default_wink.png

Just sent off samples for our three mares on page 1 of this thread. Two are also being tested for LWO so I will then have splash and LWO results for all three. The 2 Rowdy bred mares are in foal to our tobiano/LWO neg/suspected splash stallion (with brown eyes).

Latest posts

Back