Splashed White Gene Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
I am curious who has sent in hair samples, and if anyone has received their results yet?

We sent in our first batch of many this weekend. Does anyone know how often UC Davis is running the Splashed White test ?

I would love it if those that are testing their horses would show us photos of their horses and the test results.

We all have so much to learn !!

This should be fun
default_yes.gif

I have some I want to test but could use some guidance. Our tobiano stallion is negative for LWO and has a strip and snip which I always assumed was splash. Do I need to test him for splash? I have three blue eyed pinto mares, (two Rowdy-bred, one not); one of the Rowdy bred mares is LWO+. I am really curious about what causes blue eyes, so should I have all three tested for splash? Or skip the one I already know is LWO+? How many pinto patterns did Rowdy pass down anyway??!! Of course since our stallion is LWO negative I don't NEED to test them all for LWO, but that would provide a lots more information, wouldn't it?

ETA photos:

Rowdy bred (Alamos Sirs Toffee Snow) white on her butt is hard to see:

Toffee_2010.jpg

Rowdy bred LWO+: Jones Call Me Blue Admiration:

MiraMax.jpg

Not Rowdy bred: Buckeye WCF Last Dance:

lastdance5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, new tests create as many questions as answers.

Are ALL blue eyes caused by the splashed white gene?

Are all belly spots due to the gene?

Can there be a brown eyed splashed white? What if the horse is a tovero, can they have brown eyes and still carry splash white?

My reason for asking people that are testing to post a photo and test results is so that all of us can learn.

I have a few blue eyed horses with minimal to no belly white, but have facial white and minimal leg white. They are on my list to check after I test the more likely splashed white.

I also have several horses that are negative for the other pinto genes, so I presume will be positive for splash as there is no other known gene left !

Once you and other horse people start testing we will understand more.

Please post your test results and photos.

Thanks
default_smile.png

I have a black pinto mare with sabino roaning, a small star, and brown eyes who has produced blue eyed foals with 4 different non-pinto stallions. Her foals usually get her sabino roaning as well and the blue eyes usually turn partially brown. Very pretty actually
default_smile.png
my guess is that it is sabino causing the partial blue eyes, not splash, but it is just a theory. I will be testing the mare and her foals soon. I also have quite a few pintos with brown eyes and facial white i'll be testing along with quite a few with blue eyes. I have a lot with partial blue eyes and i'm most excited to test them. Still have to do a bunch of Lp testing too so it will be a while before I can get everyone done. I will make sure I post when I do though.

I don't like the terms 'overo/tovero', so won't use it. Frame, which could cause LWO, and Splash, are two completely separate pattern types, so testing for one, wouldn't tell anything about the other. Also, since it is believed that there will eventually be many different types of Splash, all we can go on at the moment, will be what is available.

Love your Dancer mare Targetsmom. She is has Tobiano type markings, plus obvious Splash. The white falling off the side of the face, plus the moustache marking, screams Splash. I'll bet she has at least one blue eye also. She is also my favourite colour, in any breed. I'm very jealous. This is my daughter's two year old Gypsy Horse mare. She is a black silver dapple Tobiano, with Sabino and Splash.

atrotleft.jpg

Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie - Dancer has two lovely blue eyes which unfortunately don't show in the photos. She will be shown this year in halter, color, hunter, jumper, trail, and (we hope) driving. She also has the sweetest disposition and we don't really care what pinto patterns(s) she carries!

i've been breeding splashed white and splashed/tobianos for a number of years now.

If a horse is obviously splash, would there be any point in testing them?

I do have some minimally marked ones that I know are splash by their markings as well as what they have produced. But, I also have a couple that don't show obvious splash characteristics. So, they may or may not be.

I'm hoping to test my boy as soon as I can get the money together.. I wouldn't have suspected splash (tobiano and sabino yes) but when he produced a LOUD mostly white colt out of a solid mare, I immediately thought splash.. He has brown eyes and no facial white..

22043_225058959612_224524494612_3121212_4902864_n.jpg

This is the colt that made me suspect splash:

281930_10150239834609613_224524494612_7349696_6101619_n.jpg

out of this mare:

268773_10150231331809613_224524494612_7266821_2515578_n.jpg

Same cross this past spring produced a jet black filly, no white.

The white falling off the side of the face, plus the moustache marking, screams Splash.

Lizzie
Lizzie, this is an interesting observation. We always thought of the moustache associated with the frame gene, but both splash and frame could have been on the same horse. It will be interesting for me to find some tested splash horses that have also tested negative for LWO.

Becky I think the reason to test is to verify that we really have the splash gene. I know some of mine HAVE to be splash just because they are negative for everything else (Tobinao, Frame and Sabino). Here are two examples. But I will be testing them anyway.

kitty2.jpg
bellaluna1.jpg

We assume by the current research that they will be Splashed White 1, but what if SW 2 or 3 exists in minis as well as full size horses? I would want to know which of my horses are carrying the gene.

There have been a lot of horses sold as splashed white and with no testing available there was no way to prove it either way. This is an opportunity to find out who actually is carrying the gene and for us to learn what are the real characteristics of the gene.

I just spoke to UCD's VGL and they are running the tests Tuesdays and Thursdays, but more often if there are a lot of tests to run. Currently there are A LOT of tests coming in. Yea!!!
default_aktion033.gif

If a horse is obviously splash, would there be any point in testing them?
I think, Yes. I have sent in tests on 6 of my 12 horses. After I receive those results, I may or may not test the others. Some are obvious Splash while others are questionable. I want the test results to confirm my theories and also to know if they are homozygous or heterozygous. It will also be interesting to know which form of Splash they carry and the results of combinations of more than one form.

I just spoke to UCD's VGL and they are running the tests Tuesdays and Thursdays, but more often if there are a lot of tests to run. Currently there are A LOT of tests coming in. Yea!!!
I sent in my samples last week and received confirmation on Thursday that they had received them. They said results would be available within 5-10 business days. Hopefully, I will get the results tomorrow. I will be sure to post.

I agree, this may create more questions than answers.

I just got the results of mine back, submitted less than a week ago with a horse that was already on file, so they are working fast. Mine came back negative, but I was testing a horse that I didn't actually think was splash just to be sure. (She does have a blaze and one white foot, presumably by one of the yet-to-be-found sabino genes.)

I do hope people will submit their horses - especially the ones that are "sure" to be splash, because even that is not fully understood. Many of us researching the color have believed for a long time now that horses with two copies of "classic splash" looked a certain way, while those with just one looked different. Testing "obvious" splashes would go a long way to telling us if that theory is correct. Testing horses with blue eyes would help, too, because no one really knows what can (and what cannot) produce blue eyes. Finding blue-eyed pintos that test negative would also tell us a lot.

If anyone is willing to share photos and test results, I have set up a page for them on the Equine Tapestry blog. You can find it here:

http://equinetapestry.com/the-splash-project/

(I have a number of horses to add, and results to update, which should happen later today.)

The more tested horses we can look at, the more we will know about splash - and the usefulness of these particular tests.

Lesli Kathman

I am another who is VERY excited about about the test. When I can afford it, I would love to do several horses in my herd.

I have two that I am going to test for both LWO and SW1 this year.

The fist I'm going to test is Music. Music is by a solid bay and out of a blue eyed visual frame + sabino mare, and she presents "solid" with blue eyes, a blaze, a sock and a few white hairs in her mane/tail. I think she could be sabino, splash and frame; I plan to test her for LWO and SW1 now (since I figured that she is Sabino. I will test her for Sabino at a later time when I can afford it).

MusicNov302011009682good.jpg

The second is Dove. With a blaze, small belly spot (size of a dime), two socks and white hairs in her mane/tail, I think she is only Sabiano however, I would one day love to test her for all four patterns. I plan to test her this year for some patterns, and I was thinking I would do LWO and SW1, but might try SB1 too. You can't see her markings too well, but it gives you an idea.

DoveDenise2011July270002.jpg

Dovespring2011preWateska006.jpg

Learning about patterns is so fun, I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive
default_laugh.png
$25 each time adds up, LOL!

Is it all 3 SW tests that are run for the $25? That was my understanding before, but just double checking.

Here are some pictures of horses that I will be testing:

This is a bay blanketed appaloosa colt, by a few spot appaloosa and out of a black pinto mare with sabino roaning. This colt has sabino roaning, a large star, and partial blue eyes.

061511095020.jpg

Excuse this horrible picture, but this is the black pinto mare with heavy sabino roaning that I am most anxious to test. All but 1 of her foals have had blue eyes, all by non pinto stallions. The blue eyes always turn partially brown later on and the foals usually have sabino roaning. This mare has brown eyes and a star, no other facial white, not even under her chin or jaw area. Her sire is a solid black with no pinto background for many generations (he is all Komokos bred), but her dam was a black minimal tobiano pinto daughter of Texans Play Boy and out of a "blue roan pinto" mare.

2011-06-01_11-04-50_494.jpg

All 3 of these mares will be tested. The one at the top is the dam to the other two. All of her foals have a lot of facial white (usually blazes). She is tobiano and then fairly certain sabino and splash as well; she has blue eyes. The middle mare is exactly the same as her dam with blue eyes and same patterns. The bottom mare is solid chestnut with a blaze and partial blue eyes. Her sire is solid chestnut with no white and is all Kahokas bred, so no pinto for many generations.

DSC00064.jpg

Another terrible picture, but this is a black pinto stallion with no facial white and brown eyes. He was tested heterozygous for tobiano and the white that you see in this picture, is the only white he has. He is a maternal brother to the black pinto mare above and by a bay tobiano stallion that produced a lot of loud splash foals. The reason I'd like to test him is because of a filly that he produced out of a solid chestnut mare with no white anywhere and no pinto background for 4 generations. I'll post a picture of the filly below the stallion's

Viking-body2-1.jpg

DSC01104-1.jpg

I think I would like to get all 3 of mine tested sire, dam, and foal. All three have crystal blue eyes.

I am new to pinto coat patterns so I am very eager to fine out what's going on here
default_smile.png
Any suggestions on websites to learn more about patterns?

Stallion

267650_10150677646665360_861180359_19181735_1232371_n.jpg

Mare

206972_1989328933722_1258299345_32426195_7943758_n.jpg

foal

272682_10150709831430360_861180359_19598352_891943_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back