Some Random Questions......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
Okay, Im going to a show on Friday (the Spooktacular) and i would like to ask some little questions....

I am taking 3 minis to the show. It will be a 3 hour ride. I wont be able to pull over and give them a rest. We are leaving early as one of my classes (liberty)are at night and i would like them to get settled before they get in the ring.

Is there any way that i could make their travel more comfortable? They are in a slant trailer, and its pretty tight (not sufficating tight LOL). They have plenty of shavings, so it will be nice to stand in. I dont have hooks for the hay baggs, so i dont put hay in the trailers...... And....

Do yall tie horses in trailers? I do because my 2yr olds try to bite eachother underneath the trailer slants. I had a horse slip and was pretty much sitting on his bum a long time ago, but we have a video camera in the trailer where we could see what was happening, and we pulled over before he got in an accident....Should you or should u not tie even when i can watch them....?

AND... in what weather do yall blanket. I have spandex hoods and sheets and winter blankets for them. They are all fully body clipped. I heard blanket in 40 or below...but it just seems too cold, for me at least, but then again i like to be hot
default_smile.png

I live in Texas so maybe you Texas guys could answer that....I had more questions, but i forgot them!

I always went by if I had slant or straight loaded trailers they were tied to help prevent them getting tangled in the dividers. 3hrs isnt terribly long. If it was an open stock trailer, they'd haul loose. IMO. They're going to have each others body heat I wouldnt worry about blankets unless they're already bathed and clipped Id slinky them.

I would tie them, but also if at all possible, try to put in hay bags. Maybe some how over the dividers? That will keep them busy while you're driving.

Good luck and have fun!

Ill see tomorrow about the hay.....it would keep them busy......i am slinking them but not blanketing them untill the show, the low is going to be 40!!!! UGH. I hate the cold. BTW, does a slinky or spandex thing, whatever LOL, provide heat like a blanket?

Three hours is really a short trip. They can easily go without hay or water for that period of time and you don't need to stop (at least not for the horses). If you're concerned give them some hay a while before you put them in the trailer. You can always give them hay when you get them in the show stalls and that helps them to settle too.

I never tie because I like them to be able to lower their heads and I worry that at least one of mine will get their leg over the rope. However, my dividers go all the way to the floor. If you have had problems with them biting each other then tie them. I know that my trainer and my sis haul theirs tied always and I used to tie my big horse.

We have dividers in our trailer so unless we are hauling mares and foals to the hospital, we always tie. We use cross ties and make sure the horse can get their head down to a comfortable level. I never use hay bags during transit - or at least not since one of ours got a foot caught in an empty hay bag somewhere during a 2 hour trip. If we are going to a show, ours are always covered from head to tail to try to keep them clean, usually with slinkies & sheets. If this will be your first trip, I would suggest you make a couple of quick stops along the way - gas stations work well - just to check on everyone. They CAN get too warm and sweaty if the ventilation is poor or if they are really nervous. Or too cold... If you open a roof vent, they can also get very wet if it rains hard!

Good luck!

This is going to be our 2nd trip with horses. We have a video camera that my dad attatched to the roof of the trailer so that we can see them during the trip. Its very interesting to watch them
default_smile.png
I will have slinkies on them and side windows open and maybe the front vent if it doesnt get to cold...Thank you, i hope we do well
default_smile.png

I just did a 14 hour trip and I left mine loose in the box. I took out the partitions. I used slow feed hay nets for hay without any trouble. I took 2 alpha horses that will not stall together and they were fine. I found that once I started moving they used their energy to steady themselves instead of fighting.

We have side load stalls and ALWAYS tie at a proper height for the horse with not too much slack in the tie rope. An untied horse that can put their head down to the floor is at risk of serious injury if the rig has to make a sudden move at speed.

I also prefer to have a bit of clothing (or more) on the horses with the trailer more open for ventilation. It can get REALLY stuffy, poor air quality, in a mostly closed up trailer with pooping and peeing going on.

I don't feed on a less then 5 hour trip. Have hay ready to feed when we arrive and am prepared to give soaked alfalfa cubes (soupy) if they dont' drink well at the show.

I judge whether to blanket or sheet or go naked by imagining how I would feel naked in the same temperature and conditions. I'm always surprised at those who think their clipped horses are warm enough with nothing on yet the human has a jacket or coat on!

Kind of a rule of thumb for me is :: temp over 80 no clothes. Temp under 70 with breeze...light clothes. Temp under 55 blankets and adding more as it drops.

Good luck at the Spooker! You will have FUN!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bailey, I have seen your trailer and would tie for sure. That is not a long trip. I do give my horses a hay bag. see if you can figure out a way to attach them,if you can't they will be fine. I will be leaving early Friday morning and will blanket my horses as it will be in the 40s. if you are leaving later in the day then a slinky will be fine. The horses will get warm from the body heat of all three in there .

Horses can travel in a trailer without food in front of them all the time. It is not necessary. Plenty of shavings is good. I ALWAYS tie horses in a trailer. I have known of a couple of fatalities by friends who didnt think they needed to. It's just safer that way.

Bailey, I have seen your trailer and would tie for sure. That is not a long trip. I do give my horses a hay bag. see if you can figure out a way to attach them,if you can't they will be fine. I will be leaving early Friday morning and will blanket my horses as it will be in the 40s. if you are leaving later in the day then a slinky will be fine. The horses will get warm from the body heat of all three in there .
Im leaving early Friday too, so i might blanket them, not sure though. Thank you! See you friday!

Back