So I bought some 600 count cotton sheets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaladar

Reaction score
So we buy 600 c. cotton sheets, felt nice a silky soft at the store, brought them home, carefully washed them, (we have a super-duper water treatment system, so very soft water) dried on medium...and they felt like sandpaper !!!
default_sad.png

So I re-rinsed them adding more fabric softener, carefully dried them, IRONED
default_wacko.png
a pillowcase, (as they are horribly wrinkled) and they still are not soft. They are scratchy!!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I am going out to clip some head and necks.........will check back in a couple of hours.

Sue
default_smile.png

Does not sound like you did anything wrong. I love the 600 count sheets. I just wash them like I always have washed them. Some of mine are a few years old and still feel great when I crawl into bed.

What store did you get them from? My husband and I were just discussing this (we are fans of sheets with a MINIMUM of 850) because the 1000 ct. sheets are not quite as "silky" as the 850s we also have... although both sets of sheets are several years old and washed plenty.

Also, our sheets do NOT wrinkle generally... we do remove them from the dryer pretty fast though. We wash them and dry them just as any other clothing or sheets. The higher the thread count, the more resiliant and long-lasting they should be.

Not all thread counts are created equal. Quality CAN vary, no matter the number on the packaging. There IS a difference between the $200 sheets you buy and the $89 sheets you buy online because they seem to be the same thread count.

Sorry that happened... good sheets ARE a luxury that sure are appreciated here!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all thread counts are created equal. Quality CAN vary, no matter the number on the packaging. There IS a difference between the $200 sheets you buy and the $89 sheets you buy online because they seem to be the same thread count.
Sorry that happened... good sheets ARE a luxury that sure are appreciated here!

Andrea
Costco...should of known...but they did feel really soft and silky BEFORE I washed them. Odd.......they will be going back tomorrow. One set of really good sheets I bought about 10 years ago at Macys and paid $200+ are still in pretty good shape, getting a little thin, so thought I'd try to replace them. The tag is too washed out to read what it says, so I don't know what brand they are. In looking closer, these from Costco do not say Egyptian Cotton....maybe that is the difference?

I'll be on the hunt again....

Wee Mite....what brand are yours?

Thanks,

Sue
default_smile.png

I do not remember what brand mine are. Some were bought at Bed & Bath others were bought at Walmart. Honestly I like the ones I got at Walmart better.

Edited: I said Sam's Club but it was Bed & Bath and Walmart that I bought the sheets at.

I do think the Egyptian cotton ones are softer. I bought a set online a few years ago 1200 ct Egyptian...I love them so much when I change my sheets I just wash them and put them back on...I don't think my bed has had any other sheets on them since I bought them, they are wonderful! I did pay $400 for them though...they haven't even faded.

I do think the Egyptian cotton ones are softer. I bought a set online a few years ago 1200 ct Egyptian...I love them so much when I change my sheets I just wash them and put them back on...I don't think my bed has had any other sheets on them since I bought them, they are wonderful! I did pay $400 for them though...they haven't even faded.
My husband thinks I know how to spend money?
default_new_shocked.gif
I have bought several sheet sets from QVC and am always happy with them. The ones I buy are from Northern Nights.

Anyone ever go to the store tuesday morning? They're like a high dollar big lots. They carry some pretty nice sheets at discount prices,still expensive imo. I also love nice soft sheets
default_wub.png

This is an AMAZING discussion for someone who remembers when a 200 thread count was considered 'upscale'!!
default_biggrin.png

I have always been one to just wash sheets, put them right back on--saves having to fold them, for one thing! Years ago, I bought a brand-name set of 200 count at Price Club(remember it?). When I opened the packaging, the fitted sheet(king size, for the bed I inherited from my mother)had the word "Sh*t" scrawled on it!!)I contacted the company, who sent me a replacement set, and had me send the 'offensive' set back to them...some worker was in a foul mood one day, I suppose;the company rep was certainly mortified by what had happened!)

My daughter gave me a set of 500 count for Christmas. They are lovely, but, I suspect, won't last as long as the set I've been using(yes, the replacement set, above!)for quite a while...and honestly, while they are SMMOOTTHH, I don't notice that they are THAT much 'slicker' than the 'old' ones. I was about due for some new ones, though-and they are a color I LOVE!

Egyptian cotton is Supima cotton; it has the longest,'smoothest', strong fibers, which is why it is considered the 'premium' cotton for such uses.

Margo

I've just had a set of 600 count, organic Egyptian cotton sheets for a couple years now, that I got from a discount store, and I think they're lovely. I wash them in a natural detergent, and dry them on low heat before putting them back on.

I went to Walmart and bought some there. These are NICE sheets.

I use the ECOS laundry soap.

Margo....that's what I do.....wash, dry, back on the bed....LOL

Thanks for all the information.
default_yes.gif

We don't have a store named Tuesday Morning that I know of.

Sue
default_smile.png

Well I have to rave about some amazing sheets I found a few months ago, really cheap too, which is incredible.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.as...113688&RN=0

Pure Beech sheets are the softest sheet I have ever felt in my life. We have a purple set and they are amazing. You can feel the difference, even compared to top of the line Egyptian cotton. The more you wash them, the softer they get and they still hold their color brilliantly. They are also very durable, which I love.

Sue, there are Tuesday Mornings not too far from where you are since I know we have several close to me and you aren't too far from me. I know for certain there is one in Lodi and I think there probably several in the Sacramento area too.

Latest posts

Back