smelly mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpj

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mare who is healthy and energetic. Groomed every night and dewormed regular. Lives in a clean environment, stall cleaned 1 to 2 times daily and outside most of the day we have snow. the last few weeks I have noticed that she smells funny like sewage. She doesn't seem uncomfortable but why could she smell so bad? I should add that she goes out with 2 geldings and they don't smell this way.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Some horses are just more smelly. They like to cover their own smells so roll in the nastys, they also roll in others poo to smell of them so they are more likely to be accepted by them, and the coat is so thick it just smells in winter. I would however try and have a really good look at her coat thought to ensure there is no skin condition going on (rain scald or similar)

Where exactly on her is the smell coming from? Is it her manure that smells or her body? Does she smell all over or just in one area? The "sewage" smell could just be her rolling in mud and manure as Rocklone suggested but since you keep her area so clean and groom her so well, it could also be an infection somewhere as the "sweage" smell could be something festering like an infected cut or flesh wound, an infected tooth or a respiratory infection even. I saw a horse with a snotty nose once from a rotting tooth and that poor guy smelled like a rotting corpse. Feel her body over real well paying close attention to inconspicuous areas where a cut or bite could be hiding. Open her mouth and smell, if that is where the stink is eminating from, call the vet to get a better look and treat. Pick up her feet too and smell after picking them out, sometimes simple thrush from wer winter can smell something awful. If it is none of those things, look under her tail to check for discharge, although not likely, it could be a uterine infection or genital tract infection (more common in broodmares out with studs) but a gelding could mount a mare. Better safe to check. I had a QH mare forever ago who was a "dirty mare" she got a sway back, which put her genital conformation out of alignment so she would poop and get it in her vulva thus always running an infection. A few flushes and a permanent casslicks surgery fixed it. Thats probably not your problem either but...you never know. Please let us know what you find.

Ours don't roll in poop. (...plus taught 'em to poop outside, so stalls don't smell, 'nor offer opportunity to roll in their own stink. which they don't.)

Nicky (stallion) smells more strongly than the girls; especially when he's wet. He always has. I just sniff him and give him a big kiss; I love healthy, horsey smell!

The only really nasty smell I've encountered is thrush.

Our grooming is hit or miss. ...smell remains the same.

Some horses are just smelly! For some reason they tend to be the light colored ones or ones with a lot of white, we have a perlino at our barn and she is the NASTIEST little filly. She cakes herself in mud and poo and smells horrendous. The owner tries to keep her clean but doesn't do any good. Check her over for sores especially in the mouth (tooth sores, abscesses etc. smell horrendous.). If its not an infection then you might just have a smelly horse!

Has her diet changed recently? Sometimes different grains or grasses can make them smell different, and I find that when I feed higher protein grain to some of mine, their manure stinks. If she is one to roll in her manure or if her stall/yard was dirty then I would say that is the problem, but since you keep things clean then I would take a closer look at her just to be sure.

Back